'If Beatrice or Eugenie Wanted to Start a Business I Would Say Get On with It'

Started by cinrit, March 24, 2015, 12:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteThe Duke of York bridles at the question. "Excuse me, what the hell am I doing now?" says the indignant fifth in line to the throne. All I asked was whether he would make a good entrepreneur.

"I am being entrepreneurial by setting this up," Prince Andrew waves his arm around the room. "So therefore, yes, I am a serial entrepreneur. My staff are giggling because they get really fed up with the good ideas that I come up with." He affects a voice: "Oh, we've got to do another one now, have we?"

We are sitting in the most unregal of settings: Wayra, an incubator space for fledgling companies off Tottenham Court Road. It has exposed ceilings, chipboard seats and orange picnic tables piled with mounds of cake. At least the Smeg fridges have a Union Jack design.

That night, he was visibly nervous. His voice was shaky and, fiddling with his glasses, he made clear that: "My focus is on my work." He said he wished to "reiterate and to reaffirm the statements which have already been made on my behalf by Buckingham Palace", in other words, the strong denials of any wrongdoing. This is his first major interview since those allegations broke.

More: 'If Beatrice or Eugenie wanted to start a business I would say get on with it': Prince Andrew on launching a fashion label with his daughters - London

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Canuck

If he's going to insist on continuing along like he's done nothing wrong, then he really ought to get himself a good PR person (and actually listen to what they say).  Interviews like this are only making him look more ridiculous. 

Lady Adams

His quotes from the article are so full of buzzwords, it's hard to take him seriously.

But then he drops that the Yorks are behind the Key to Freedom clothing line at TopShop. Why aren't they publicizing that? It seems like something good, and it would help the entire family's image.
Key To Freedom | Clothing | Topshop
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

snokitty

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

Lady Adams

Wow, you're right @snokitty. I don't follow him, but I just searched his feed.

I wonder why the Palace isn't promoting this. @Canuck is right-- he needs a new PR person. Unless, of course, the palace is fine with him looking like a  :nocomment:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Macrobug

I can understand why he is as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

But for heaven sake.  Get a PR person.  Let them do the talking and don't give interviews. 
GNU Terry Pratchett

Canuck

Quote from: Lady Adams on March 24, 2015, 03:39:14 PM
Unless, of course, the palace is fine with him looking like a  :nocomment:

I don't think that's it, since the Queen has been so publicly supportive (most recently with the Admiral promotion).  I would guess from what I've read about him that he... does not take advice well, to put it kindly.  I mean, I certainly wouldn't want to be the PR person tasked with trying to tell Andrew that he needs to shut up about X or give Y kinds of answers.   :ugh:

But with regard to the fashion charity, I think that's likely due to Fergie's involvement.  He can't really promote it as "Royal" work when she is a big part of it, and so he just mentions it himself sometimes.

HistoryGirl

Quote from: Macrobug on March 24, 2015, 03:54:31 PM
I can understand why he is as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Ha love that saying.

SophieChloe

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Lucy

That's a very good location for new businesses. Hope a lot of good comes out of it. He should know that if his daughters began a business of their own , they would be attacked daily, much like the Middleton family.
DIANISTA # 1