Countess Mountbatten of Burma, IRA bomb survivor, dies at 93

Started by sara8150, June 14, 2017, 08:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Double post auto-merged: June 14, 2017, 08:52:43 PM

Prince Charles godmother Countess Mountbatten dies at 93
Prince Charles godmother Countess Mountbatten dies at 93 | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Trudie

Poor Charles must be devastated. His cousin and Good friend Norton how inherits the title he has been waiting for while Charles still waits. I remember well the comment Charles made to Charles Earl Spencer how lucky he was to inherit young at Johnnie Spencer's funeral. Charles also lost his number one Diana bash er in the family to publicly deride her. Now it is left to Lady Pamela Hicks to carry on there.

sara8150

Prince Philip's cousin Countess Mountbatten dies aged 93
Prince Philip's cousin Countess Mountbatten dies aged 93 - BBC News

Double post auto-merged: June 14, 2017, 10:58:42 PM

Prince Philip's cousin Countess Mountbatten, who survived the IRA bomb that killed her father and her son, dies at the age of 93
Prince Philip's cousin Countess Mountbatten dies age 93  | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: June 14, 2017, 11:08:59 PM

Prince Philip's cousin, Countess Mountbatten of Burma, has died at 93
Prince Philip's cousin, Countess Mountbatten of Burma, has died at 93 • The Crown Chronicles

Double post auto-merged: June 14, 2017, 11:10:25 PM

Countess Mountbatten of Burma, Prince Charles's godmother, dies at the age of 93
Countess Mountbatten of Burma, Prince Charles’s godmother, dies at the age of 93 – Royal Central

Double post auto-merged: June 14, 2017, 11:11:40 PM

Prince Charles releases statement upon the death of his godmother
Prince Charles releases statement upon the death of his godmother – Royal Central

Double post auto-merged: June 14, 2017, 11:13:20 PM

Obituary: Countess Mountbatten of Burma
Obituary: Countess Mountbatten of Burma – Royal Central

sara8150

The Queen leads royal mourners at funeral of Countess Mountbatten of Burma
The Queen attends funeral of Countess Mountbatten of Burma

Double post auto-merged: June 27, 2017, 04:20:25 PM

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip Attend Funeral of Cousin Who Survived IRA Bomb Attack That Killed Father and Son
Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip Attend Funeral of Countess Mountbatten

Double post auto-merged: June 27, 2017, 04:21:28 PM

A son's touching greeting: Prince Charles kisses the Queen and Prince Philip as they lead mourners at the funeral of Countess Mountbatten of Burma
The Queen at the funeral of Countess Mountbatten of Burma | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: June 27, 2017, 04:22:55 PM

Queen leads mourners at funeral of Countess Mountbatten
Queen leads mourners at funeral of Countess Mountbatten

Double post auto-merged: June 27, 2017, 04:25:40 PM

Prince Charles comforts the Queen with a kiss at funeral of Countess Mountbatten of Burma
Royal family to attend funeral of Countess Mountbatten Of Burma | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: June 27, 2017, 04:26:58 PM

Royals attend funeral of Countess Mountbatten of Burma
Royals attend funeral of Countess Mountbatten of Burma - ITV News

Double post auto-merged: June 27, 2017, 05:54:32 PM

British Royal Family attend Countess Mountbatten's funeral
British Royal Family attend Countess Mountbatten's funeral | NEWMYROYALS & HOLLYWOOD FASHION

FanDianaFancy

Quote from: Trudie on June 14, 2017, 10:06:09 PM
Poor Charles must be devastated. His cousin and Good friend Norton how inherits the title he has been waiting for while Charles still waits. I remember well the comment Charles made to Charles Earl Spencer how lucky he was to inherit young at Johnnie Spencer's funeral. Charles also lost his number one Diana bash er in the family to publicly deride her. Now it is left to Lady Pamela Hicks to carry on there.

And he will be waiting. QE has a good 10 years left. 8 years.

royalanthropologist

It is a sad reflection of the heartlessness in our society today when some people make countdowns and predictions about people's life spans e.g. his mother will outlive him (a stupid assumption bearing in mind that Charles' mum and dad are well in their 90s and his grandma hit 100 years).  Nobody knows the date of their end and it is cruel (let alone being silly) to speculate about the death of someone. Even a sicker suggestion are those who talk about the queen outliving her son. People who wish to see a 90+ year old woman bury her eldest child need therapy themselves. 

Lady Pamela Hicks gave her opinion based on what she saw or perceived. People can take or leave whatever she said; with a pinch of salt if necessary. Frankly speaking I suspect that Lady Hicks was one of the members of the extended family who could not stand Diana and were relieved when she left the family. She probably felt that Diana was a terrible choice for a wife to Prince Charles and he should never married her in the first place. This is not unusual and the things she said have been echoed by others, albeit less forcefully.  It does happen in families and members try to protect their own.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

QuotePoor Charles must be devastated.
At 93 her death would not have been unexpected by anyone. While I think that Charles might be sad that his Godmother has passed away, I'm of the opinion that any feelings of devastation would have been  for 1979 murder of her father, mother-in-law, son, boat helper Paul Maxwell and for the injuries suffered by the survivors.

amabel

Exacly TLLK, I should say he is saddened by her death, but at 93 it is hardly unexpected.. and while he may be close to her, I doubt if he's as close as he was to his grandmother for example. He was probably very upset at the QMs' death, even if at over 100 it was harldy unexpected.  But I agree that he was devastated by the tragedy of the 1979 murder of Lord M, and the others including 2 teenaged boys, one of whom was his cousin.

Trudie

Quote from: royalanthropologist on July 07, 2017, 07:52:53 AM
It is a sad reflection of the heartlessness in our society today when some people make countdowns and predictions about people's life spans e.g. his mother will outlive him (a stupid assumption bearing in mind that Charles' mum and dad are well in their 90s and his grandma hit 100 years).  Nobody knows the date of their end and it is cruel (let alone being silly) to speculate about the death of someone. Even a sicker suggestion are those who talk about the queen outliving her son. People who wish to see a 90+ year old woman bury her eldest child need therapy themselves. 

Lady Pamela Hicks gave her opinion based on what she saw or perceived. People can take or leave whatever she said; with a pinch of salt if necessary. Frankly speaking I suspect that Lady Hicks was one of the members of the extended family who could not stand Diana and were relieved when she left the family. She probably felt that Diana was a terrible choice for a wife to Prince Charles and he should never married her in the first place. This is not unusual and the things she said have been echoed by others, albeit less forcefully.  It does happen in families and members try to protect their own.

Well nothing is sicker IMO than a son in law telling his brother in law how lucky he was to inherit everything young while the brother in law was grieving.

As for the wretched Mountbattan sisters IMO they never liked Diana because she became the POW right after Amanda turned him down. They were probably hoping she would change her mind. Want to talk ambitious Mountbattan promoted Philip and HM to marry thinking that his family name would become The House of Mountbattan to which he erroneously toasted to that effect at a dinner and it got back to Queen Mary who had quite the discussion with Churchill over it. Mountbattan was born a Prince and lost that designation in 1997 becoming a commoner and it bothered him for the rest of his life.

royalanthropologist

Quote from: Trudie on July 08, 2017, 05:23:44 PM
Quote from: royalanthropologist on July 07, 2017, 07:52:53 AM

Well nothing is sicker IMO than a son in law telling his brother in law how lucky he was to inherit everything young while the brother in law was grieving.

As for the wretched Mountbattan sisters IMO they never liked Diana because she became the POW right after Amanda turned him down. They were probably hoping she would change her mind. Want to talk ambitious Mountbattan promoted Philip and HM to marry thinking that his family name would become The House of Mountbattan to which he erroneously toasted to that effect at a dinner and it got back to Queen Mary who had quite the discussion with Churchill over it. Mountbattan was born a Prince and lost that designation in 1997 becoming a commoner and it bothered him for the rest of his life.

If (and I say IF because some of the  Spencer children are known for lying and exaggerating stuff) Charles said that then it was a heartless thing to say. Charles Spencer in particular is a hypocrite beyond all limits so I always take everything he says with a pinch of salt. The royals liked Johnny Spencer so I am perplexed as to why Charles would wish to see him dead. As far as I can tell he was always the perfect gentlemen and the royals felt that he had been saddled with a shrewish wife who went on to run of with a lover. In any case, if that statement is factual then it was a grave error on the Prince's part. He should never have said it.

Otherwise: God save the Prince of Wales. I wish him a very long and happy life. It would give me great satisfaction to know that his enemies who have wished him an early death have yet been thwarted by fate. They wanted him out of a job and banished or even dead. others wanted to deny him the right to marry the woman he loves because of their self-righteous bigotry. Thankfully none of their nasty predictions has come to pass.  Charles is a good man who made a bad marriage...that's all. Glad that he got a chance to correct one of his biggest mistakes in not marrying the woman he loves and instead marrying one that on paper seemed the suitable choice.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

amabel

Charles may have said it, but he didn't mean it in the sense of wishing Lord Spencer dead.  He just may have meant that (as for most upper class people with estates and for Royal princes like hismelf) it would be nice to be able to get to ones "life work" witout waiting till Dad passes on at 98.  But Di's father, John Spencer had passed the family estates over to Charles already. and Charles POW is indeed clsumy at times in how he expresses himself. But I'd question whether it is true as Charles Speincer is somewhat at odds with his ex brother in law. In addition, he was in the middle of a quarrel with his father, when Johnny died

Trudie

In my above post I wrote 1997 sorry I meant 1917. It wasn't Charles Spencer who spilled that little tidbit it was someone else who overheard it and told the tale I don't quite remember who. I am not a fan of Charles Spencer myself he is the ultimate hypocrite. He bullied Charles and the RF at Diana' funeral for mistreating her when in fact he was inflicting the same torment of his own wife Victoria and worse he was married and brought his girlfriend to Diana's funeral.

royalanthropologist

Then Charles was an absolute pig saying that. It is indefensible.

amabel

yes it was an insenstivie thing to say, but Charles S was on bad terms with his father at the time of Johnny's death.  they had been having a row. I'd like to know who overheard this, as I assume it was meant to be said at Lord S's funeral...and in any case at the time of the father's death Diana and Charles were on such bad terms that it took a direct order from the queen to let Diana allow Charles to come home with her.. She wanted to fly home alone.  I think that he was only at the funeral on sufferance because Diana didn't want him there.  And as I recall it was at the funeral that Charles S kicked his step mothers stuff down the stairs.. and Diana had a row with Raine.  SO I wonder how much talking was likely to be going on between Charles S and the Prince, when they were on pretty cool terms.  Who overheard and repeated it?

LouisFerdinand

The Honourable Pamela Mountbatten was a bridesmaid for Princess Elizabeth in 1947.   
Was Patricia Mountbatten ever a bridesmaid at a royal wedding?