With support from the Duchess of Cambridge RAF wives pen new book

Started by PrincessOfPeace, February 03, 2014, 06:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

I think it's somewhat shallow and not deep and well thought out. It could have been deeper considering her fear for William in the Gale, etc... This tells me she had no contact with the wives or the base whatsoever and her fears themselves were somewhat limited or maybe she just isn't someone who explores her feelings in writing, but  I am far from impressed.

As far as other royal wives having been part of the club, I think William and Catherine are making claims to be normal and lead normal lives but are not and will not be believable as long as they lead the privileged royal life while playing normal, the image of the man who claims to work so he can lead a normal life before he is burdened by royal duties, his real job, is hardly believable if complemented by a princess who accompanies him perched in an ivory tower coming down to shake hands with the peasants once in a while, if he wants to lead a normal life, he shouldn't do it with a WAG but with a normal wife, one who does join the wives clubs and participates in their fundraising activities (it's not like she works 40 hours a week and has no one to help at home. Their lives are simply inconsistent with what they want to project. On the other hand, one could also ask, has other royal heir like William has been playing around shirking royal duties for so long, openly seeking new things to do so he doesn't have to get involved in royal duties?
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

PrincessOfPeace

Available now on Amazon with 100 per cent of the authors' profits shared equally between the Royal Air Forces Association and the RAF Benevolent Fund.

QuoteWhen innocent 18-year-old Jill Darby met dashing Euan Black on holiday in Scotland in the '60s she could not help falling for him.

But as an aspiring teacher she 'hadn't a clue' about the life she was signing up for as their romance blossomed and she found herself married to an RAF pilot just before he was posted to Germany.

"He didn't fancy going without me, so he says," she laughs. "I knew he was in the airforce and that was it and we learned as we went along."

The Harpenden grandmother talks about how young love quickly gave way to a sobering hit of reality in her new book Living in the Slipstream, which she has compiled with two friends who also had husbands in the forces.

The book brings together the sometimes funny, sometimes sad experiences of more than 60 RAF wives and has a forward by the Duchess of Cambridge.
More: Duchess of Cambridge features in book about the ups and downs of being an RAF wife (From Harrow Times)