The Princess of Wales Trust Fund

Started by LouisFerdinand, January 27, 2018, 09:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

In 1994 David Puttnam and Patrick Jephson suggested to Princess Diana to form a Princess of Wales Trust to fund her charitable giving. She later rejected the idea. It would be seen as setting herself up in opposition to Prince Charles' Prince's Trust.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Very true, although no matter what she did for charitable work she was going to outcompete and outshine Charles. It may or may not have been fair, depending on your point of view, but it was the way it was back then.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

Diana was wise to reject the idea. If that story is true, it makes me rethink some of my conceptions of her as an incurably impulsive emotional person. Clearly she had some moments of wisdom, insight and calm reflection: a pity that that insight was not sustained and applied when she needed it most.

Now that she is dead, I think the idea of a fund in her name would be appropriate. If that were to happen, I am of the view that it would better be called the "The Diana, Princess of Wales Trust Fund" rather than "The Princess of Wales Trust Fund". Not least because there is a current princess of wales who was Diana's love rival and there will be other princesses of wales to come.

Such a fund if it happened would never be short of donations from the millions of people across the globe who admired Diana and her charitable work.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Duch_Luver_4ever

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 28, 2018, 08:08:56 AM
Diana was wise to reject the idea. If that story is true, it makes me rethink some of my conceptions of her as an incurably impulsive emotional person. Clearly she had some moments of wisdom, insight and calm reflection: a pity that that insight was not sustained and applied when she needed it most.

Now that she is dead, I think the idea of a fund in her name would be appropriate. If that were to happen, I am of the view that it would better be called the "The Diana, Princess of Wales Trust Fund" rather than "The Princess of Wales Trust Fund". Not least because there is a current princess of wales who was Diana's love rival and there will be other princesses of wales to come.

Such a fund if it happened would never be short of donations from the millions of people across the globe who admired Diana and her charitable work.

I think one has to look at her bouts of impulsive, unwise behavior as happening mostly against the backdrop of the large amounts of stress both internal and external in her life at various times (early 80s, early 90s, last 2 years of her life for example). She often during those periods had to fight a very entrenched, establish system without the benefit of royal system the rest of her family could rely on.

Quite a few times, she could be very wise, but just like a lot of us, when we get overwhelmed, we retreat into ourselves, and that where she could get into trouble.

I think a fund in her name would have been a brilliant legacy to her. (As for a current PssoW, it might be technicality, but thats the title that shall not be mentioned >( ). I do agree it would be nice to have it named to specifically denote her, rather than any future PssoW, besides Kate's already got enough of Diana's hand me downs, so idk if shed want to head a charity as well.

A couple of things i think derailed that, one was the massive funds being raised in the year or two after her death caused some to be concerned it could become an industry into itself that may lose its way. Second was the running into the ground of the memorial fund by Sarah (and others) with the margarine, the fight with The Franklin Mint, etc.

While I do think Sarah,Jane and Charles Spencer should have had some input, the running of something that large really needed to be in the hands of capable professionals. Last year the fund would have raised a lot, as her fame waxes and wanes the fortunes of the fund would as well, but by now, had it started in 97, should have been secure.

Such a shame it never happened....
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

I know. I think it was a case of too many cooks. Plus when you are trying to do a legacy project for someone who was such a big figure in real life, they can be big shoes to fill. There was a time when William could have brought the same magic to such a foundation and I think BRF would have supported him but I think he was retreated into the relative insipidity of middle class existence. Even the work with mental health seems to be more of a personal venting than real long lasting legacy stuff.

There were so many interpreters of Diana's legacy and it was stretched to virtually every PC cause going. Some people rather irritated about that. I think a focus on the things that mattered to her e.g. AIDs treatment, respite care, befriending services, ballet, landmine victims etc would be a very nice and useful way to remember her. I would most certainly donate to such a charity if it started because those are causes that many people believe in.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Duch_Luver_4ever

Agreed, it would be a daunting task for any one person to try and step into those shoes, although in one way it could have been easy to do if theyd stuck to like you mentioned, he core five or six areas she focused on. (plus would have kept all the PC hangers on away). I'd have liked to fund a charity like that as well.

I think they were really caught off guard with the amount raised, I think the sane thing would have been to wait 2 years or so before deciding what to do with the money, as the money would have trailed off to a more regular level by then. Also estates would have been settled, things like intellectual property, likenesses and such could have been sorted out.

IDK about Williams motivations for his charity work, I do think for sure, theres an element of personal soothing and therapy for himself (Diana also said she got great personal comfort from her own work, so one cant fault him for that). I do think (and maybe im giving him benefit of the doubt) that hes seen both his parents approaches to work,charity, etc. and has chosen to go the middle of the road path, where hes not working and being away hours and hours like his father was with his Trust, and Diana pushed by personal demons to do ever more charity work on a larger and larger world stage.

We wont know for about 20 years if thats the case, or if we'll see a book, paper article, etc. that lays bare all manner of scandal, but until then, i want to believe that hes seen his parents and grandparents approach to life, and is trying to not repeat their mistakes with his wife, kids and work.

royalanthropologist

About that PC thing. One of my friends was furious when she heard that some of the money was sent to fund asylum seekers.  :hehe: She is an border defense kind of person and she just got turned off after that. The problem with charity committees is the fact that they can start doing the PC thing and not send the money to the intended causes. Oxfam has become a bit of a disgrace so all my old clothes go to family and friends or even those who ask me directly.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I dont blame her, although a LOT of the NGO's have hopped on that game, even the British Red Cross got into it, so imo its better to just give to smaller local charities that you can monitor better what they're doing.

Agreed once you get a committee in on it, it all gets messed up. Although youve made me think of an interesting question, what would have been Diana's view on the whole migrant thing, and other politics over the last 20 yrs (would have been VERY interesting to see how she dealt with Hillary's campaign)?

In todays age of twitter storms, and such, even Diana wouldnt have been immune to them, and while I loved her views on compassion and caring, I do think she would have been a little too left for me (I just hope not Lily Allen left  :lol: :teehee: ).