The Romanian Royal Family news, current events and general discussion

Started by TLLK, November 07, 2017, 05:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

A thread to discuss the news, current events and general discussion of  the non-reigning royal family of Romania

Crown Princess Margareta returns to Switzerland, to be near King Michael | Familia Regal? a României / Royal Family of Romania

Curryong

King Michael has been failing for quite a long time. The death of Queen Anne must have been a huge blow and I do think his daughters have been preparing for the eventuality that the King might not have long to live. He has had an interesting life I think, even though it's been lived mainly in exile his eldest daughters seem to be reasonably popular in Romania.

TLLK

@Curryong-Yes I do agree that his life has been very interesting and that he will be reunited with Anne in the near future. The Romanian royal family might not ever regain its former role in the nation, but they do seem to well respected there. They like the Serbian and Portuguese royal families seem to have an unofficial status in their countries in which they are invited to various events.

royalanthropologist

I once read somewhere that some part of Romania was considering offering Charles their crown but he declined. Is it true or were they just having a laugh? I would have thought that he would not accept such a proposition given the fact that he gets on so well with the ex-royals of Romania?
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

Prince Charles was offered the title of 'Prince of Transylvania,' because of his promotion of Romania, by the Mayor of some town in the region when he was there on tour with Camilla earlier this year. He never replied to the offer and I doubt it was taken seriously by anyone.

Nevertheless, I think Charles is proud of his descent (through Queen Mary's father) from Vlad the Impaler, as he has often mentioned it. Of course the Queen and his own sons also share that heritage. Charles visits his properties in Romania every year and is very fond of the country.

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on November 10, 2017, 03:19:17 PM
Oh dear.  but he has had a long life.  I don't think the monarchy will be restored though.
No I would be surprised if it was, but they seem to have earned a respected status since their return after the fall of the communist regime.

amabel

but there is no heir, I gather.  Margarita is the heir, but she has no children.  Then there's issues with the grandson Nicolai? think they'd be much better to announce now that when he's gone the RF are gone too, they're not going to do anything other than an occasional visit... Its not as if they were a dynasty with a long history in Romania.

Curryong

I don't think Margarita or her husband Radu will be inclined to leave! Of course they are growing old and there are no children but King Michael clung on so fiercely to Romania and the remnants of his throne as these exiled monarchs are inclined to do, that I think Margarita would feel it would be disloyal to give it all up.

Plus of course it was strictly because of the communist regime that Michael was forced out, it wasn't as if the population was in the palace courtyard with pitchforks and burning torches or anything!

Michael and his family seem to have reached a pleasant sort of accommodation with the government and people and so I think this generation is OK as a sort of quasi First Family, as they appear to be reasonably popular. I have reservations about Radu, and I don't think this is going to continue on with whatever grandchildren remain, so it will be short lived I think.

TLLK

King Michael of Romania Is Dead at 96 - The New York Times

The king was one of the last heads of state from WWII. He was related to many of the members of Europe's royal families, including Britain's Duke of Edinburgh. He was predeceased by his wife Queen Anne. His eldest daughter Margarita is the caretaker of the throne. His youngest daughter Princess Marie was at his beside when he passed away.

QuoteKing Michael of Romania, who was credited with pre-emptively saving thousands of lives in World War II when, at 22, he had the audacity to arrest the country?s dictator, a puppet of Hitler, died on Tuesday at his residence in Switzerland. He was 96.

The King will lie in state at Pelesh Castle in Romania.

Curryong

So the King is dead! Even though long expected, this must be dreadful for his daughters. He is now with his loved wife. What an extraordinary life he has led, exiled for most of it yet still a King deeply concerned for his homeland and people. I suppose there will be a State funeral and burial in Romania. He was a cousin of Prince Philip's and they played together in boyhood. Perhaps Charles will represent his father. Too far to go, too cold, for Prince Philip now.

TLLK

Regele Mihai a murit. Majestatea Sa avea 96 de ani - YouTube

A lovely clip with film footage from his long and incredible life.I'm happy for him that he was able to return to his homeland after it had thrown off the shackles of Nazi and Communist rule. While he never regained the throne, he was considered to be  a respected elder statesman in his country. I agree @Curryong that Charles is the one most likely to attend due to his connections with Romania and his friendship with CP Margarita.

With his death, I believe this just leaves former King Simeon of Bulgaria as one of the last WWII heads of state and his fellow former "boy king" of the Balkans.

Double post auto-merged: December 06, 2017, 12:35:54 AM

CP Margareta's statement to the people of Romania.

Declaration of the new Head of the Royal House of Romania

amabel

Sad but inevitable.  I am sure tat he was lost without his wife. 

TLLK

King Michael's body will be returned to Romania on Wed. 12/13/17. He'll then lie in state for three days. Funeral to be held on Sat. 12/16/17. More details in the link below.

Program of the funeral of King Michael I of Romania | Familia Regal? a Rom?niei / Royal Family of Romania

Curryong

The laying in State and funeral will undoubtedly be an unforgettable occasion for grieving Romanians. I do wonder about the future of the Romanian royal House, however. There have been so many disruptions, controversies, the motivations of Radu, King Michael's son in law, challenges from the Hohenzollen branch over male promigenture as per House rules, the banishment of grandson Nicholas Medworth Mills, and deportment of the King's younger daughters. And how can Crown Princess Margerita call herself Queen with no authority from her country? 

amabel

I hope they will give up any pretensions to the throne.  they are liked it seems in Rumania, as special patrons of the country, and if they want to go on doing charity work, for the people I think it si a great idea.  But give up the idea of its becoming a monarchy again

TLLK

Good points @amabel and @Curryong. I understand that she will use the title Queen according to some articles, but I don't believe that they'll seek a restoration of the monarchy anytime soon.

Princess Margareta to become Queen after King Michael?s death

LouisFerdinand

It is a very sad time. It is unfortunate that the Christmas holiday is only a few weeks away, a very joyous occasion.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on December 06, 2017, 04:00:07 PM
Good points @amabel and @Curryong. I understand that she will use the title Queen according to some articles, but I don't believe that they'll seek a restoration of the monarchy anytime soon.

Princess Margareta to become Queen after King Michael?s death
I thnk it is quite ridiculous.  the RF are lucky that they are still liked in Roumania, and I think that's partly due to King Michael, but there does not seem to be a sutiable heir and I don't think that the Rumanians want them back as a RF.  They are happy to have some connection, for historical reasons but I think that they look foolish if they are still trying to act like they are claiming the throne.

TLLK

Curryong

Well, that is a nice compromise title, I think. Especially as Margareta isn't really a sovereign, but it deeply committed to Romania and to her father's legacy.

TLLK