Philip's letters to Diana

Started by LouisFerdinand, October 31, 2017, 11:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

^^^I'd be frightened of two people who at times could not control their tempers and were known to act out in erratic and even violent ways. :shrug: Pulling a sink off the wall is vandalism.   Pushing an elderly woman down the stairs is assault. Neither Charles or Diana could have been proud of the manner in which they behaved. :no:

Curryong

Burrell wrote of one incident when Charles was angry that Burrell had told Diana the truth, that Charles was out when he wasn't supposed to be (at Highgrove) that he threw a book at him. The two of them were in the library.) Burrell asked Charles if he was supposed to lie for him and Charles yelled 'Yes!'

Tina Brown recounts several instances of objects thrown in tempers. Prince Charles once threw Diana's wedding ring at an aide, snapping 'Get it made smaller!' Diana would pelt Charles with shoes and Charles would often throw things back, including an antique clock on one occasion. I don't know whether it was the same clock but a servant at Highgrove recalled that several times a clock was sent for repair with nothing openly said about how it had got into that condition.

During a ding dong battle while on a visit to Althorp Charles and Diana shattered a mirror in their room, damaged an 18th century chair and broke a window. So Charles was perfectly capable of also getting into rages and throwing things at people.

royalanthropologist

The level of immaturity between these two was astonishing. Neither the Spencers nor the Windsors did a good job in parenting and disciplining. How such a marriage could ever be repaired is completely beyond me. There was even violence??? As far as royal marriages go, this was the pits.

Double post auto-merged: November 03, 2017, 08:19:05 AM

Quote from: sandy on November 03, 2017, 12:37:22 AM
Once again, Raine and Diana became friends.  Charles had a temper. DIana did not "injure" Raine and she did not go to the hospital.   Charles threw things in Diana's direction according to the housekeeper. He also called Diana names like having a "simple mind."  I would be frightened of a man who pulled out a sink in a fit of temper. I'd leave the premises. Fast.

The reconciliation is a testament to the good nature, patience and maturity of Raine. It is not a credit to Diana that they made up. Diana was a horrendous step daughter. In fact all the Spencer children were deeply disrespectful to their father by mistreating his wife like that. I am so glad that W&H were much better brought up although some Diana fans keep hoping that they can be as nasty as the Spencer children.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

By all accounts, Diana initiated the making up. She moved to sit next to Raine at John Spencer's funeral. You keep on thinking the worst of her but it is a fact that Diana herself initiated the making up.

Raine and Diana were close at the end. 

Who are these "Diana fans" who hope the boys are nasty?

WIlliam treats Kate with a whole lot more respect than Charles treated Diana. Her family is also totally loyal to Kate and there is no nasty grandmother trashing her own family.

royalanthropologist

Yes Diana initiated the make up because she actually had now lost the little close contact she had with her own mother Frances. It was not Diana having an Eureka moment as in: "Oh by the way...I pushed this woman down the stairs a few years ago and we must now make up".

I credit her with realizing how nasty she had been to Raine but I reject the notion that she was some kind of queen of compassion for trying to re-befriend a woman she and her siblings had terrorized for no reason other than being a good wife to their father.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

This was 1992, royal. Diana and her mother were getting along then.  She did have contact with her mother.

Diana did make overtures to friendship with Raine. Raine admitted it.

What notions are you rejecting? Anything Diana does, you criticize. She can't win with you

royalanthropologist

Exactly. Just like C&C can't win with you? At least I have the pragmatism and imagination to check my own biases and admit Diana's better qualities as well as her bad ones.

sandy

You don't talk about Diana's better qualities or at least very rarely.

You blame the marriage failure all on her and give Charles free passes galore. ANd Camilla too.

royalanthropologist

Just like:

You don't talk about Charles 's better qualities. You blame the marriage failure all on him and give Diana free passes galore."

I am far fairer to Diana than you have ever been to C&C. That is your right but don't expect me to apologize for my opposite views.

I maintain that Diana was not the saintly victim you try to portray her.  She was a girl with a great past and even greater future who through foolishness, emotionality and immaturity conspired in her own destruction. C&C merely helped her along the way.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on November 03, 2017, 05:23:58 AM
Burrell wrote of one incident when Charles was angry that Burrell had told Diana the truth, that Charles was out when he wasn't supposed to be (at Highgrove) that he threw a book at him. The two of them were in the library.) Burrell asked Charles if he was supposed to lie for him and Charles yelled 'Yes!'

Tina Brown recounts several instances of objects thrown in tempers. Prince Charles once threw Diana's wedding ring at an aide, snapping 'Get it made smaller!' Diana would pelt Charles with shoes and Charles would often throw things back, including an antique clock on one occasion. I don't know whether it was the same clock but a servant at Highgrove recalled that several times a clock was sent for repair with nothing openly said about how it had got into that condition.

During a ding dong battle while on a visit to Althorp Charles and Diana shattered a mirror in their room, damaged an 18th century chair and broke a window. So Charles was perfectly capable of also getting into rages and throwing things at people.
Sadly all I can see is that  we have two people who when angered were capable of destroying property and assaulting people.  :no:

royalanthropologist

Don't you just feel like spanking some sense into them? :notamused: That relationship was toxic in every way. The more we read about it, the worse it looks. How anyone ever imagined it was a fairy tale is perplexing in hindsight.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on November 03, 2017, 04:17:20 AM
^^^I'd be frightened of two people who at times could not control their tempers and were known to act out in erratic and even violent ways. :shrug: Pulling a sink off the wall is vandalism.   Pushing an elderly woman down the stairs is assault. Neither Charles or Diana could have been proud of the manner in which they behaved. :no:
well diana yes but "pulling a sink" was probably trying to take out his temper on an object, rather than a person. It may be stupid to pull a sink off a wal, but I ca't quite see how it is vandalism. its his own sink....

TLLK

^^^I thought that incident occurred at Althorp.

amabel

I've no idea, TLLK.  It seems to be part of the "Charles is a monster" narrative, together with "Diana was an angel." but anyway I can understand taking out one's temper on ojbects...

sandy

Quote from: TLLK on November 03, 2017, 09:11:35 PM
Quote from: TLLK on November 03, 2017, 09:11:35 PM

It was at Highgrove. Wendy Barrie who worked there witnessed the episode.

Charles would have gotten hell from the Spencers had he done that to their sink

Well amabel, the Diana was a monster comes from the camp of Charles via his and Camilla good friend Penny Junor. And Charles and Camilla get their free passes.

LouisFerdinand

What was the total number of letters that Prince Philip wrote to Diana?

sandy

Burrell might know. He just spoke of a few of them in his first book.

Duch_Luver_4ever

there was  the time Charles grabbed his valet by the neck and said to the effect of " you understand, I just need to get this out".....
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

QuoteWell amabel, the Diana was a monster comes from the camp of Charles via his and Camilla good friend Penny Junor. And Charles and Camilla get their free passes.

Each side blamed the other for their marital woes during the various WoW battles .Fans and critics of both have continued the skirmishes long after the Wales' divorce. So honestly can't see how anyone (Charles, Diana, Camilla, APB) is getting a "free pass." :shrug:

sandy

Junor goes over the top in her adoration of C and C and bashing of Diana. It sounds fanatical to me.

royalanthropologist

Junor is no more fanatical than people who spend their lives looking for Camilla-related articles to post their vitriol. I actually think she is tame when compared to the kinds of stuff that have been written about C&C.

sandy

No, Junor is the most fanatical one out there. Nothing tame about her and her adoration for C and C. She says she has a "soft spot" for Charles, blushes and giggles about him and she and Camilla socialize and had gone on a recent trip together.

Nothing tame about Junor.

royalanthropologist

Having a soft sport for C&C is very different from someone making it their life mission to hound another person they hardly know. That is why I said that compared to some of the rubbish that we have seen written, Junor is tame. She is certainly not as vitriolic, nasty and slanderous as some of Diana's authors (Morton comes to mind), her press accomplices (Martin Bashir) and some of the so called "Diana fans" on the likes of DM commentary section.

sandy

Junor hounds DIana posthumously and labels her.  I call that fanatical.

Junor is very vitriolic. And has gotten more shrill about Diana.

When did Morton call Diana the "savior of the monarchy." He never labeled Camilla as "mentally ill" nor trashed her unmercifully. Junor is certainly slanderous when it comes to Diana.

royalanthropologist

I would point out that it was Diana herself who in her writing and on television that admitted to suffering from a mental illness. So unless Diana was slandering herself, Junor is quite entitled to make inferences about that.

Camilla is considered by her fans to be a "savior of the monarchy" (BTW I consider that title to be as ridiculous as saying that "Diana saved the Windsors") because her presence in Charles life has made him a much happier man. A much happier and well supported prince is on balance going to be a better king than one who is spending his time fighting press wars with his embittered wife.

The kinds of slander that Morton committed against POW and BRF would make Junor blush. There was a television program in which two men who were Diana's accomplices in that book confessed that it was done very maliciously. They would take seemingly innocent events and put the worst slant they could about them.

When it all went pear-shaped (as it was bound to do) Diana turned on her accomplices, calling one a word that I will not repeat here. Even poor Morton was sacrificed so that Diana could continue lying to her brother in law and the queen that she had nothing to do with that slanderous book.

Junor is nowhere as slanderous as Diana was with her accomplices and supporters.