#Dianatoldmeto

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, July 16, 2017, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

No, i dont know if this is an actual hashtag, its a play on words a local girl has for a campaign for ppl to do good deeds for others, she has cancer, i believe terminal but is determined to squeeze as much good into her final time as possible.

I saw this mans story and it broke my heart, it seemed like someone Diana would have wanted to visit.
Dying veteran's last week is to talk to you on the phone | The Sacramento Bee

story below, hes a dying vet, whos last wish is to hear from ppl, anybody before he dies

Lee Hernandez has been diagnosed with a terminal illness at only 47 and is confined to hospice care in his home. He has one dying wish – and it involves you.

Hernandez, who lives with his wife, Ernestine Hernandez, in New Braunfels, Texas, has had three brain surgeries, but still has continuous strokes that have affected his vision and cognitive abilities, according to the Arizona Central. He served in the army for 18 and a half years, according to KRON, including a tour in Iraq.

Doctors said they can't figure out the cause of his illness and all that's left to do is make him comfortable.

Recently, Lee Hernandez asked his wife to hold his phone for him. When she asked why, he said "in case someone calls," according to a Facebook post.

When no one did for two hours, he said "I guess no one wants to talk to me."

"It broke my heart," Ernestine Hernandez told Arizona Central. "(Lee's) speech is not very well, so many people didn't take much interest or want to talk to him."

So she reached out to Caregivers of Wounded Warriors, who started spreading word about Lee Hernandez's last wish. The Facebook post garnered hundreds of reactions, with many promising to call, text or send Lee a card in the mail.

"He is blind so his wife can read a text but he cannot," the post reads. "Please let Lee know that the veterans in Arizona are thinking of him!!"

Some posted screenshots of reactions they had gotten to their text messages to Lee Hernandez. Ernestine Hernandez told Arizona Central they've had an influx of calls, many of them from fellow veterans. Many of them pray with him.

"Thank you everyone for your calls and support," Ernestine Hernandez said. "I am trying to give him the best life I am able to with the help of my mom."

People who would like to call Lee can reach him at 210-632-6778. The best time to reach him is between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. EST, because that's when he's most alert.

Anyone who can call if you have a long distance plan or Skype, im sure it would make his day, thankfully work has free calling so im going to call tomorrow.

We've been at each others throats all month when we should instead be looking for things like this to remember the good things Diana did. I know ive been guilty of dropping that ball, being more "Diana like" with regard to others the last 20 years, heres a great opportunity to do a small thing "for her" so to speak, that she can no longer do. Im reminded of words Jane's reading, always does me in, I kept in my wallet for years.

If I should die, and leave you here awhile
Be not like others sore undone, who keep
Long vigils by the silent dust and weep.
For my sake, turn again to life, and smile,
Nerving thy heart and trembling hand to do
Something to comfort weaker hearts than thine.
Complete these dear unfinished tasks of mine,
And I, perchance, may therein comfort you!

I think we all have been too sore undone, keeping our long vigils...... :flower: :flower: :flower:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

Very sad and touching story,.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

That beautiful poem by Mary E Hall brings tears to the eyes. It really is heartwarming. I work/volunteer in a community centre and I'm constantly reminded, and humbled, by the kindness and unasked help offered to others by those who have very little themselves, when I hear clients' stories. I try to emulate it, but of course I'm human like everyone else! Many show the spirit of kindness and charity that Diana showed, every day, and I'm sure her sons try to follow in her footsteps too.

royalanthropologist

It is always nice to hear from individual people that actually met her in person. Was just discussing with a friend about what the royal family would be like if Charles had not married Diana. I think they would be a lot more duller and obscure. She did something very compelling to the institution and in a way invigorated it after many years of complacency. Perhaps that is why she caused so many waves and ended up being ostracized by the institution.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Duch_Luver_4ever

So I called Lee today, was glad to hear his mailbox was full, so obviously the power of the internet has come to the rescue :thumbsup: . Even though I didnt get to leave a message, it did feel nice.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.