Author Topic: Lovers Knot (aka Dianas) Tiara  (Read 107 times)

Online Duch_Luver_4ever

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    38%
    • Favorite royal: Diana, Princess of Wales
Lovers Knot (aka Dianas) Tiara
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:29:39 PM »
I know, I know, its just lazy press shorthand calling it Dianas tiara, im aware of its history, but im going to take it LOL. My question is regarding its recent showing at this event

Kate Middleton dazzles in Princess Diana's tiara for State Banquet with King and Queen of Spain - Mirror Online

It appears different that when Diana wore it, the metal looks duller and the Diamonds dont shine as much (and to rule out any googly eyed effect I get looking at Diana, I looked at just the Tiara part in the pics of her and kate).

Could they have perhaps treated the metal for maintenance, or maybe they wanted to dial down its dazzle factor given the press rivalries either real or imagined between the Cambridges and Corwalls?

IDK I just thought it odd how different it looked, but im glad to see it on the wife of Diana's child.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Online Trudie

• Diana-ites
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    36%
    • Favorite royal: Diana
Re: Lovers Knot (aka Dianas) Tiara
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 12:51:11 AM »
I think it has to do with the lighting. I also think the fact that Kate is brunette it shows the tiara as darker whereas Diana's blond was glossy and picked up the shine of the metal better.

The following users thanked this post: Duch_Luver_4ever

Offline LouisFerdinand

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    58%
    • Favorite royal: King William IV of Great Britain
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 06:44:22 AM »

Offline amabel

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    32%
    • Favorite royal: Anne Boleyn
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 07:09:29 AM »
Its not "Diana's Tiara".  I gather she didn't even like it much because it was so heavy.  it was loaned ot her from the Royal collection for her wrok as Princess.  But I think she preferred her family Spencer Tiara as it was lighter.  I think the Lovers knot one is very beautiful but if it gave Di headaches I suppose she would prefer something lighter

Offline royalanthropologist

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    44%
  • Fair and Balanced...to an extent
    • Favorite royal: Camilla Shand, Duchess of Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 04:11:08 PM »
For some reason that tiara looks much smaller than before. However, I think Kate looked fab on the Spanish state banquet.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

The following users thanked this post: Duch_Luver_4ever

Online Duch_Luver_4ever

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    38%
    • Favorite royal: Diana, Princess of Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 11:05:56 PM »
I think Trudie may be onto something with the lighting, It looked to me like either the metal had been cleaned/treated/etc. so it had me curious if they had some work done on it over the last couple decades.

and amabel, yes, we know it wasnt officially "Dianas tiara" (we need an eyeroll emoji)(I mentioned that in the OP, its comments like that, that sometimes make others make the place nasty) she didnt like it because it made too much noise when her head moved. Even the Spencer Tiara gave her headaches, and she did look much better in it, IMO and im guessing hers as she wore it more often, although at the end her brother could make it difficult to get it sometimes.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Offline royalanthropologist

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    44%
  • Fair and Balanced...to an extent
    • Favorite royal: Camilla Shand, Duchess of Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 11:50:52 PM »
Although that tiara was not Diana's, she did take some very iconic pictures in it so it became associated with her in a way that it was not associated with the Queen or Queen Mary. That is why even I would be amazed if Camilla ever wore that tiara, although when her husband gets to the throne she will have access to all the jewels. It is just simply "Diana's tiara" in a figurative sense.

I think that the lighting may have something to do with the change in size and also the fact that Kate tends to were it flat almost like a band whereas on Diana it stood up like an anchor to her hair.  The ensemble at the Spanish banquet was so girlish in a way with the pink and the hairstyle plus the sleeves. Really Kate rocked it.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Offline amabel

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    32%
    • Favorite royal: Anne Boleyn
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 12:17:38 AM »
The tiara is not Diana's, of course but I think it did look better than the smaller Spencer one.  however she liked the Spencer one better.  But Kate IMO can't carry off anything grand at all.  She looks bland and unimpressive. If she had a bit more of a figure, she might be able to carry off "long gowns" better.  THey were made originally for women who had bosoms..

Royal Insight Forum is not responsible for the content of external sites