The Unseen Diana

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, July 05, 2017, 05:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

The Unseen Diana - YouTube

Just put up on youtube a couple days ago, but looks like it was on British TV not long after her death. Just a lovely doc showing home movies, picture, lots of "happy snaps" of visits she made to people over the years. Some, like Dean Woodward, you may recognize from other docs like Story of a Princess.

With all our talk of dissecting the stories, who did what, how much was given to charity, etc etc.. I think its time to take a moment, watch this, and see some of the many people and charities she touched, lives who she made a huge difference to, either with a quick visit or some with many visits in very tough circumstances either for them, or sometimes, it was her who was having it tough.

You'll see the warmth in her, so many of the reasons we love her, you'll see bright as day, you'll smile, melt, and probably have a tear or two, all in 45 minutes.

If you had to show someone who didnt know about her, what was so great about her, this is it. :flower:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

What a wonderful doco, Duch_. Thankyou for posting it. To have touched so many lives, to have made so many private visits and helped and supported so many others in the midst of her own pain, Diana, you were marvellous, girl! My eyes just filled up watching that. To so many people she was a friend and yes, she made a difference.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Im glad you liked it, I thought of you when I saw it. It was so nice to see how different she would look when she wasnt "on parade" so to speak with hundreds of cameras in her face. I love how when she would raise her eyebrows showing interest in someone, her eyes would soften and have this doe like quality, you could see  her relaxed, warm and bright.

There were many times I would both smile and cry at the same time watching it, there were a few times when she would really let that warmth and caring shine though that it would actually hurt to look at her, it was just too much to take in.

People on the tape mentioned, and its true that she was very beautiful, but you can see theres more than that on display from this tape. Theres lots of strikingly beautiful women out there, but we dont feel about them like we do about her, or at least I dont.

The lady at the clothing place said it best, something like, her name sounded like it sparkled, and so did she.....it will be a great video to watch this aug and sept when im sure we will all be very sad, it will be nice to have this to celebrate the light when so often the story is all the dark stuff.

I do hope someday that the Woodwards release the whole tape of Dianas visit. With all the tapes and such out there about her, it would be so comforting to see her relaxed and happy for a couple hours.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

amabel

Maybe they regard it as something private, with someone who was kind to them and who was already "shown to the world" far too much. 

FanDianaFancy

amabel and Dutch, good  points.   :goodpost:

Thanks Dutch for this find.  :hi:

LouisFerdinand

Diana had joy when she visited the people. How lovely to see children present her with flowers!

michelle0187

The documentary definitely lives up to the title. This footage is far different than the rest that's usually seen in most of her documentaries. There's real people who get to tell their stories about how wonderful she treated them. Not just high profile ex staff who had the pleasure of working for or with her and royal reporters or photographers who followed her every move in public for several years. I wish the footage was clearer but it's better to have seen it than not at all.

amabel

I think these are private visits that Diana made out of kindness, that she did not want publicised..

royalanthropologist

I think Diana actually liked interacting with people because it gave meaning to her life and sustained her through her difficulties. I understand she was quite lonely and the work she was doing was a release of sorts. There were stories of single nights and single dinners at KP as well as major holidays spent alone. That can be quite isolating. I also think she also actually liked supporting those who were in need and marginalized by mainstream society.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

William and Harry are to speak about their beloved mother in an upcoming documentary, including looking over some unseen photos. She was 'the naughtiest mother', they remember, and one who 'smothered us with love, that's for sure.!' So looking forward to this!

'She was one of the naughtiest parents': Princes William and Harry remember their mother Princess Diana

sandy

These are very nice photographs of Diana with her sons.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Quote from: amabel on July 05, 2017, 07:27:34 PM
Maybe they regard it as something private, with someone who was kind to them and who was already "shown to the world" far too much.

Obviously, its something we all have thought. However, id say the family has, so to speak, got the camels nose under the tent, quite a bit with parts of the video being shown both here and in Story of a Princess 16 years ago, so that rings a bit hollow. Also im used to us always having an opposite view, when it comes to Diana.

Its precisely the fact that too much has been shown of things that probably she would have rathered not be shown, that I think things like that are even more important to be shown, to balance out the story a bit from the usual surreptitious tapes or pictures, etc.

They could release the tape, of course minus any bits that would be best not shown, (saying something out of turn, etc.) with either no proceeds, or proceeds to charity, etc. in order to not be making money off her.

Memories like this of her, are like land, they're not making any more of either, and thus are precious and historically valuable.

amabel

and they belong to Diana's family or to the people who shared visits with her.  She was admirable in that she didn't do all her charity work for the public eye and notice.. she realised that charity should be private, and not shown to the world to get praise.
Of course it is not a popular POV today and some charity work is bound to be made public and Diana was good at bringing publicity to the causes she supported. But she also had the instinctive good feeling to do things privately and quietly..and I think that is how they should remain. In the days after her death many people did tlak about how she had done things for htem like visiting their children in hospital or having them to visit.. which is understandable at an emoitional time, for her good deeds to be noticed and talked about briefly, when she had just died.. but this is sharing private visits and photos and videos that she DID want kept quiet.  She also wanted her love life etc kept quiet but by her own foolishness in talking about Chalres' love life, she put her own out there for public notice as well and was forced to a situation of having to talk about it.  That means that other people have felt free to talk about other affairs than Hewitt, and to make things up..
however if peole want to watch it, they will.  I wont.

michelle0187

There's no way to know for sure that she didn't want those tapes to see the light of day. she would've made it clear to the families and respect her wish.

amabel

Possibly, but I think she ad the good taste to feel that these vistts were meant to be private acts of friendship of hers and not to be sold or put out fofr public consumption

TLLK

Finally had the opportunity to see the documentary @Duch_Luver_4ever with my favorite part being when she'd escaped to Park House to see the new facility that was there for families with disabled children. Thank you for sharing it.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Thank you @TLLK im glad you enjoyed it, I thought you might^^ Yes, that was a nice part of it, esp the pic of her going in, in her wellies, dressed like anyone else. Was nice im sure for her to revisit the place where so much of her pre marriage life was, and the wonderful use it had then, and of course her doing what she always does that makes a person cant help but love her, when she comforted the mother of the blind boy. :crazylove:

To address amabels comments, I dont think they would be viewed as people "selling them out" since dean and family could either refuse any payment or have it go towards a charity she would have liked. I suspect amabel wont watch in case, like the story of the grinch, she's worried her heart may grow three sizes with respect to Diana LOLZ.

amabel

I dont know what that comment means as I don't watch those sort of moives but I think I'm going to take a holiday from this place.  Its getting nasty.

LouisFerdinand

In the first photograph Diana looked ever so happy at whatever she is viewing. Good to see cheer on this Princess!