Succession laws in the 21st century for Europe, Asia and the ME monarchies

Started by sara8150, June 09, 2017, 05:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Japan passes landmark bill for Emperor Akihito to abdicate
Japan passes landmark bill for Emperor Akihito to abdicate - BBC News

Double post auto-merged: June 09, 2017, 05:30:34 AM

Japan opens the door to debate on female succession to the Chrysanthemum throne
Japan opens the door to debate on female succession to the Chrysanthemum throne | World news | The Guardian

Curryong

At last, at last, the Japanese Imperial Household and Parliament are dragging themselves into the dawn of the 20th century! Note I don't say the 21st century. That would be too much to ask!

TLLK

sara8150

Curryong

Good heavens! They are moving at the rate of a snail, but a young snail!  At this rate the Emperor might be able to vacate the throne by maybe next year!

Nightowl

Quote from: Curryong on June 09, 2017, 06:02:40 AM
At last, at last, the Japanese Imperial Household and Parliament are dragging themselves into the dawn of the 20th century! Note I don't say the 21st century. That would be too much to ask!

:teehee: :teehee:That is me when I read yr comment and how very true.............I do wonder if they have discovered hot and cold running water yet.......   :blink:

Jenee

I broke this off into its own thread, although related to the abdication of Emperor Akihito, it really highlights a ridiculous dilemma.... one that was under consideration in the UK when Kate was pregnant with George. Because, lets face it...

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/nyregion/fearless-girl-statue-de-blasio.html?_r=0
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

TLLK

Sad to say that the IHA would still consider the only child of CP Nahurito, Princess Aiko as not being a worthy candidate to succeed him.

Duch_Luver_4ever

New gender law could let my girls inherit title says Earl | Daily Mail Online

Interesting article on how the law will affect some likely unintended areas, it will be interesting to see how this plays out, as it could affect how some family estates get passed down. Also makes you think how all the effort in the past was put on having a male born heir.

If Sarah Spencer had wanted to be Steve, one has to wonder if Diana and Charles Spencer would have been born, and if the strain over having a boy not being there might have kept Johnny and Frances together? We'll never know, of course, but it does make you think how some of the earldoms would have been passed down over the last century.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

^^^@Duch_Luver_4ever-Yes I do wonder how changing attitudes regarding gender would affect the inheritance laws.  There was certainly enough strain over the issue of male primogeniture that continues to cause issues among the UK's aristocracy and in monarchies outside of Europe ie: Japan.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Thanks for replying @TLLK I think its a very interesting subject, not only for the social novelty of the situation, but there would be a lot of unforseen practical issues that would need to be worked out.

For example, if said person changed their identifying gender, would the inheritance pass to the next biological or identified as male? If say a female identifying as male inherited her parents estate, and say her spouse also has an inheritated or about to be inherited estate, would there be rules about what surname the child would have to keep the inheritance "in the family" ?

There would have to be some kind of estate valuation board or something to help weigh in on these matters. To use the Spencer example, Sarah would have to name her children with the Spencer surname, unless her spouse had a grander estate, and if he/she did, whats to be done with the inherited Spencer estate to make sure it stays with a Spencer child? It can get very confusing and complicated very fast..... :xmas15:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

Heir of desperation as Japan wrestles with looming royal succession crisis | Japan | The Guardian

Unlike the monarchies in Europe which largely allow for women to ascend to the throne, Japan like other monarchies in Asia, the Middle East and Africa continue the practice of only permitting men to reign. Unfortunately for Japan, their is a severe shortage of male members.

QuoteA panel of experts has begun talks on addressing the shortage of heirs to the Japanese imperial throne, as a poll showed that four in five members of the public are comfortable with the idea of women becoming reigning empresses.

Solving the succession crisis has taken on greater urgency due to a scarcity of males in the world?s oldest monarchy and the abdication, for health reasons, of Emperor Akihito.

Emperor Naruhito, who succeeded his father two years ago, has only one child, 19-year-old Princess Aiko. If she marries a non-royal she would have to leave the imperial family and become an ordinary citizen. Aiko could not become empress and her son could not become emperor without a change in the law.

That leaves two heirs: Naruhito?s brother, Crown Prince Fumihito, 55, and his 14-year-old nephew, Prince Hisahito. Nothing short of catastrophe would see Prince Hitachi ? Naruhito?s 85-year-old uncle ? become emperor.

The recent controversy surrounding the on-off marriage of Princess Mako ? the eldest daughter of Fumihito, who is first in line to the Chrysanthemum throne ? has added to pressure to rethink the ban on women becoming regnant empresses.

TLLK

Future queens of Europe - Princess Leonor, Crown Princess Victoria and more | HELLO!

With the exception of Spain, Monaco, Luxembourg and Lichtenstein, the rest of the European monarchies permit full primogeniture. This is when the eldest child of the reigning monarch or adult heir is considered to be the future monarch. Sweden was the first European nation to allow for full primogeniture.

In the 20th and 21st centuries, there have been a number of women sitting upon their nation's thrones in Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Denmark and the UK.

Curryong

Sigh. I?m afraid more forward looking Japanese may well have to wait for years, now this panel has rejected the idea of female heirs, perhaps until the next reign, as so many of them, including politicians, seem to be fixated on the past. Perhaps in Prince Fumihito?s time as Emperor. God knows, if his only son has a childless marriage or, heaven forbid, only daughters, then the fat will really be in the fire.

TLLK

The British Monarchy website has updated the list of the line of succession. It now includes all of  HM's and the late DoE's children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren beginning with the PoW- 1st to Master Lucas Tindall - 24th. The other members of the extended BRF, foreign royals etc.. who are in the line of succession are not included in this list.

Succession | The Royal Family