Looking back at the wedding of King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain

Started by Jennifer, May 23, 2017, 02:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

Happy 13th wedding anniversary to King Felipe and Queen Letizia. I admire this couple very much and believe the love they have for each other is genuine. There's always an energy of happiness and hopefulness that surrounds them in the royal duties they do because they are two parts of a whole heart. There is no doubt that it was their destiny to be together in this world. I must say, they are one of the best couples I've ever seen. I wish them the best with their marriage and hope that it will forever last long.

QuoteOn 1 November 2003, Spain's Casa Real announced that the heir to the throne, Felipe, Prince of Asturias was to marry the divorced Spanish television newscaster, Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano. At the time, the announcement came as a surprise to most.

The then Prince Felipe presented Letizia with a white gold 16-baguette diamond ring during his proposal. She also gave Felipe a classic book and white and gold cufflinks.

Felipe and Letizia married on a rainy 22 May 2004 in Madrid at the Cathedral Santa María la Real de la Almudena – less than two months after the Madrid terror attacks and a week after Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark wed Mary Donaldson. It was the first time this cathedral had hosted a royal wedding, and as a whole, almost a century had passed since a royal wedding had been held in Spain's capital city.

Read more:
Looking back at the wedding of King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK

I loved revisiting this beautiful ceremony steeped in tradition, but sadly I recall it  was overshadowed by the terrorist attack that took place about two months before the event.

It came on the heels of wedding of Denmark's CP Frederik and Mary Donaldson and capped off a few years of weddings for Europe's heirs-to-the-throne.  :vday2:

Curryong

Yes, the Wessexes were rather busy during those years I think. All I can remember about Felipe and Leti's wedding is people complaining that the ceremony (which included a High Mass, I suppose) seemed to go on for ever, the Cathedral seemed vast, even more so than St Pauls, bride and groom sitting whispering to each other, and Leti's face looking considerably different then than it does now. I didn't follow the Spanish royals as much in those days though I knew the history of the royal family and JC/Franco and Sophia, of course.

However, the Frederik/Mary Donaldson wedding was made quite a lot of in Australia, 'local girl made good!' and we as a family watched the simple wedding ceremony, Daisy beaming, the carriage ride through the streets etc. It seems a lifetime ago now.

TLLK

I'd never noticed that the pages and little bridesmaids are carrying an enormous garland rather than individual bouquets or baskets. As expected young Froilan is raring to race down the aisle while his cousin Juanl is waiting for the signal to start their march.

LouisFerdinand

@TLLK, The children did carry a long garland. I had never seen this before at a Roman Catholic wedding.   :flower: :flower:

Jennifer

That's an interesting observation, @TLLK. The bridesmaids and paige boys did not carry baskets or bouquets at this wedding as they did at Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel's wedding. I suppose King Felipe and Queen Letizia wanted to do something unique for their wedding and not make everything traditional.
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston