Duchess of Cambridge's trial of topless during holiday in France

Started by sara8150, May 02, 2017, 06:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge demand £1.3million in compensation over the publication of topless pictures of Kate sunbathing while on holiday in France
Kate Middleton topless photos trial begins | Daily Mail Online
The couples not in court articles says the couples wanted asked for "£1.3million (1.5 million euros) and £42,000 (50,000 euros) 1.5 million euros (£1.3 million) its means in USA its $1.6 million

Valentina18

If I were them I would have just left it alone.I remember reading back in 2012 that they gave w&k the rest of the pictures and didn't publish the other photos. Since the nude scandal their constant bashing of the press and need for absolute privacy even when among the public has gotten even crazier. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the press if they cover it properly.If the photographer wins I can see the British press having a laugh at w&k.If w&k win they will use this case as a warning to other photographers not to invade their privacy or they will sue.

sara8150

Quote from: Valentina18 on May 02, 2017, 06:39:36 PM
If I were them I would have just left it alone.I remember reading back in 2012 that they gave w&k the rest of the pictures and didn't publish the other photos. Since the nude scandal their constant bashing of the press and need for absolute privacy even when among the public has gotten even crazier. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the press if they cover it properly.If the photographer wins I can see the britsh press having a laugh at w&k

Absolutely with you! If the couples wins photographers wouldn't allowed get longer lens at Royals period! Like Princess Diana been haunted by photographer and paparazzi 24/7 when she got badly crashed in Paris but Diana have no bodyguards when she crash in tunnel prior she died she got hurt and she tried save her life but doctor failure save Diana's life!

Double post auto-merged: May 03, 2017, 02:41:13 AM

Prince William Calls Kate Topless Photo Scandal 'Painful' Reminder of Princess Diana's Death, Asks for $1.9 Million in Damages
Prince William: Kate Topless Photos 'Painful' Reminder Of Diana's Death

Double post auto-merged: May 03, 2017, 02:56:55 AM

Kate and William 'want £1.3m damages' in topless photos case
Kate and William 'want £1.3m damages' in topless photos case

Double post auto-merged: May 03, 2017, 02:58:41 AM

Prince William brands printing of topless Kate photos 'shocking'
Prince William brands printing of topless Kate Middleton photos ?shocking' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: May 03, 2017, 02:59:49 AM

Prince William defends his wife - in court
Prince William defends his wife - in court - ITV News

Double post auto-merged: May 03, 2017, 03:03:06 AM

Prince William: Kate topless photos published in French magazine 'particularly shocking'
Prince William: Kate topless photos published in French magazine 'particularly shocking' - ITV News

Double post auto-merged: May 03, 2017, 03:05:49 AM

Prince William demands €1.5m payout for topless Kate photos saying ordeal reminds him of Diana 'harassment'
Prince William demands ?1.5m payout for topless Kate photos saying ordeal reminds him of Diana 'harassment'

Double post auto-merged: May 03, 2017, 03:11:06 AM

UK royals seek $1.6 million over topless Kate photos
UK royals seek $1.6 mil over topless Kate photos - CNN.com

Valentina18

William really loves to throw Diana in when he wants people to feel sorry for him. Diana's being harassed by the press has nothing to do with his wife taking of her top while on holiday after flaking out on royal duties and getting caught out in a lie. Kate hasn't had to endure half of the things Diana put up with as the princess of Wales.William needs to grow up and accept that people are over him bringing up his late mother to try justify his actions.I hope they donate the money if they win to some of their charities.

sara8150

Trial begins in lawsuit over Princess Kate topless photos
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trial-begins-lawsuit-over-princess-101602281.html

Double post auto-merged: May 03, 2017, 03:06:44 PM

In court, tabloid lawyer defends topless photos of Kate Middleton
In court, tabloid lawyer defends topless photos of Kate Middleton - CBS News

Double post auto-merged: May 03, 2017, 03:08:44 PM

Prince William calls for € 1.5 million compensation for private photographs released of the Duchess of Cambridge
Prince William calls for ? 1.5 million compensation for private photographs released of the Duchess of Cambridge

Double post auto-merged: May 03, 2017, 06:13:56 PM

Note to Prince William: Strict privacy laws in France don't always mean huge fines
Note to Prince William: Strict privacy laws in France don't always mean huge fines - ITV News

Jenee

I think I agree with the principle of the lawsuit. Sue for a large enough sum to serve as a deterrent. I just hope that, if they win, the money goes to good use.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

wannable

QuoteSexy footage of Meghan Markle stripping off proves Kate Middleton was not entitled to ?92,000 compensation over topless photos, French lawyers fighting payout will argue

French lawyers say Kate Middleton didn't deserve toplesss snap payout | Daily Mail Online

Lawyers must have twisted brains to come up with that argument. A Professional Actress at work is not comparable to a private citizen on holiday who had paid for privacy but was spied on without permission from over a kilometer away AND published.

6271 thumbs up

99% comments are apples and oranges situation.  These French lawyers want to embarrass MM and the Royal family.

TLLK

Two very different situations as French privacy law states you cannot take these types of photographs without the individual's permission.

Meghan was not a member of the BRF when she was  doing professional and promotional work for her career. She would have agreed to being photographed and was compensated for it.

royalanthropologist

I sometimes feel that suing makes things much, much worse. It is like a libel lawsuit. The end result of the court process might be to completely destroy the "victim". I think a UK minister was jailed after his libel lawsuit ended up exposing him to the charge of perjury. He won the legal argument and an award, but ended up in jail as the price.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Blue Clover

I don't thing the two situations are related but I think the article was written as an excuse to:

1) Compare MM with Kate
2) To show the risque videos they bought showing MM "acting" sexy

TLLK

I agree @Blue Clover. Obviously the editors/owners of Closer Magazine are not happy that a French court decided the civil suit in the Cambridges' favor, but to bring Meghan into this "appeal" makes no sense. I do not see them winning an appeal with this type of argument.

wannable

The lawyers are in court today presenting MM pictures.  Apparently what the lawyers want is to reduce the fine/penalty sentence which was awarded to W&K.

Richard Palmer
Verified account
@RoyalReporter

RISQUE pictures of the Duchess of Sussex will be used in court today by a magazine appealing against its fine for publishing topless photos of the Duchess of Cambridge.

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/590x/973448_1.jpg?r=1528876089753

TLLK

I'm sorry that Meghan' past career and social media pictures are being dragged into this "appeal." :(

Blue Clover

@wannable So they are really using this comparison to reduce fines! I didn't believe it at first.
@TLLK I thought MM seemed a bit off or not her usual self during the Trooping of the Colors Parade and I wonder if she was warned that these old, risque photos would be in the papers the next day. It would be horrifying to learn that something you did so long ago would be splashed across the tabloids so soon after marrying into the BRF.

TLLK

^^^@BlueClover-Yes it is possible that KP was advised that the attorneys for Closer magazine were going to try and use this tactic in their appeal.  :(

wannable

Quote from: Blue Clover on June 14, 2018, 03:49:53 AM
@wannable So they are really using this comparison to reduce fines! I didn't believe it at first.
@TLLK I thought MM seemed a bit off or not her usual self during the Trooping of the Colors Parade and I wonder if she was warned that these old, risque photos would be in the papers the next day. It would be horrifying to learn that something you did so long ago would be splashed across the tabloids so soon after marrying into the BRF.

According to Paul the Royal Reporter in Paris, who broke the exclusive, allegedly the French lawyers are using MM pictures and 2 videos: the grilling burger and her mistakenly selfy video of MM adjusting the camera with some girlfriends where they were all topless.

I think this is a dirty trick from the French Lawyers, notifying the use 1 day previous to night train ride of MM with Her Majesty, knowing that the court accepted the "Hearing" to reopen the case same day of the night ride.   :thumbsdown:

I do hope the results are in favor of W&K, and the court orders for this occasion to close the case...I suppose we will get to know sooner rather than later the final result.

TLLK

@wannable-I agree because this ruling could also impact any future violation of privacy suits for any person be they a public figure or private citizen. The photos and videos that people choose to make and share via social media or a professional photo/film appearance does not imply consent that any other person can take their image without their knowledge/consent and publish it IMHO.

wannable

I read a french article yesterday, all family members including the public persona of a FRENCH NATIONAL is fully protected with the law, so I do hope they apply this for Foreign public persons too.

TLLK

wannable

Yes hopefully, but with the court accepting a re-open to hear what the French Lawyers have to say with an alleged court decision of pay the huge fine of Foreigners (William and Kate none present power of attorney to their BRF Lawyers) and now using pictures of a Sister in Law who is also a Foreigner.   

According to the french article I read, he the author was criticizing the French System because they would not even have a thought of re-opening a case for high profile public french nationals, including any family of a public french vip person.

it stinks all around.

TLLK

French Closer magazine loses appeal over topless photos of Duchess of Cambridge

QuoteA French magazine has lost its appeal against hefty fines imposed over their decision to publish pictures of the Duchess of Cambridge sunbathing topless.

Two senior editors of Closer, as well as two photographers suspected of taking the grainy paparazzi shots, appealed the first sentences handed down in September 2017 for breaching the privacy of Prince William's wife, Kate.

The court of appeal in Versailles, west of Paris, on Wednesday upheld a 45,000 euros (?40,000) fine and dismissed an appeal by editors. The court upheld the maximum fine handed to the editors by a lower court for invading the Duchess's privacy with publication in 2012.

French Closer published the grainy pictures of the Duchess wearing only bikini bottoms while she was on holiday with the prince at a chateau in the Luberon region of southeastern France in September 2012.

The magazine's editor, Laurence Pieau, and publisher, Ernesto Mauri, were fined 45,000 euros (?40,000) last year, while the photographers were ordered to pay 5,000 euro fines, with another 5,000 euros payable if they reoffended.