Wilhelm I, Emperor of Germany

Started by LouisFerdinand, April 30, 2017, 11:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Wilhelm I did not like the title of Emperor of the Germans. He felt it underminded his supposedly divine right to the title.

LouisFerdinand

On January 18, 1871 Wilhelm I of Prussia was proclaimed the first German Emperor. 
18th January 1871: Wilhelm I declared German Emperor - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

Did Wilhelm I, upon becoming King of Prussia, have a coronation or was the crowning a blessing from the bishop?

Curryong

Wilhelm the I had a Coronation as King of Prussia in 1861 after being Regent for a number of years.
This is an article about it, including paintings of the event.

Gods and Foolish Grandeur: The coronation of Wilhelm I, King of Prussia, by Adolph von Menzel, 1861-65

Wilhelm wasnt crowned Emperor of Germany in 1871 after the stunning victory over the French, just acclaimed as Emperor in the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles. He had been reluctant to take the title.

LouisFerdinand

@Curryong, What a marvelous article!  :goodpost: :goodpost:   
I like the Preparatory portraits of Queen Augusta of Prussia and Princess Alexandrine of Prussia.

LouisFerdinand

Wilhelm I visited German troops being nursed in the Palace of Versailes in the Franco-Prussian War.   
Franco-Prussian War 1870-1871, Wilhelm I king of Prussia and first... News Photo | Getty Images

LouisFerdinand

Emperor Wilhelm I attended the completion celebrations of Cologne Cathedral on August 14, 1880.

LouisFerdinand

Wilhelm I was fanatically loyal to his older brother. King Frederick William IV. Wilhelm defeated the insurrection against his brother in 1848.

LouisFerdinand

In 1862 King Wilhelm I of Prussia was faced with a liberal majority in the Prussian Landtag, or representative assembly. He failed to win approval of the budget to pay for the reforms of the army that he wished. Seeing this as a direct challenge to the Crown, Wilhelm I threatened abdication in September. He only would agree to stay if Otto von Bismarck became prime minister.

LouisFerdinand

Napoleon III of France surrendering his sword to Wilhelm I of Germany on September 2, 1870 after the defeat of the French     
Franco-Prussian War 1870-1871: Napoleon III of France surrendering Stock Photo: 57355713 - Alamy

LouisFerdinand

When he was Prince Wilhelm, he helped to set up the Vereinigter Landtag (the Prussian Parliament), and took a seat in the Herrenhaus (its upper chamber).