French Monarchy

Started by IrishCharm, March 16, 2008, 02:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishCharm

I would love to see it brought back only cause I think it would help the French. I'm not sure now who is in line for the throne, maybe Louis XX, but could be wrong. I don't personally believe Marie Antoinette was the reason for the revolution in the first place and hope some people will agree she was a pawn.

Please feel free to dicuss this topic intellectually and not with one word replies.

Lila the Flirt

I don't think the French would want the monarchy back.

There are many claimants to the French throne but a majority of monarchists recognise the Count of Paris or Henri VII as the one. His son Jean, has the title Prince of France - HRH Prince Jean of France, Duke of Vendôme. The family has an estate in Dreux.

Flirt's the name, flirtin's my game :lila:

nova

QuoteThere are many claimants to the French throne (...)
+ 1

no Vote : for me it' ll be "other"

And don' t forget that during the reunion at the Assembly, it was the cousin or at least a close member of Louis XVI - I can' t remember right now -  who voted that the King and the Queen should be decapitated.

Plus, the different Republics (I to V) - especially this one and with the new government - had always try to lowered the presence of Royal members and even aristocrats by divising them, creating taxes like the ISF, etc.   

If the new "modern" Princes of politics (i.e. civil servants) continue to run France as they' re doing right now... it could be possible that one day French people ask for it if they find someone qualified, really caring, etc.

IMO, it will be a long time before it would happened.. :shrug:

PS. there is an exhibition for the first time about Marie-Antoinette at the Grand Palais, in Paris. 15th March to 30th June 2008.

plattenchant

Will you be going to visit the exibition?
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
C. S. Lewis

heather

...only if they bring the Medici's back. :duel:

Windsor

Not gonna happen! :rolleyes:

heather

Highly doubtful, they will dig up Edith Piaf first.

Kuei Fei

Quoteit was the cousin or at least a close member of Louis XVI - I can' t remember right now -  who voted that the King and the Queen should be decapitated.

It was the Duke of Orleans. Basically him and the Princes Conde and Conti were a trio of agitators constantly helping the revolutionaries. I suppose Orleans believed he would depose Louis XVI and take the throne for himself.

arusha

I might sound a little ignorant here, but I always thought that the French royalty had never been totally estinguished and somehow morphed into the Royalty of monacho.

Is that true.

LouisFerdinand

Here is Prince Louis, Duke of Anjou, one of the French Pretenders.   
Louis XX - Heir of the Throne of France - YouTube

amabel

Quote from: arusha on April 07, 2008, 11:48:16 PM
I might sound a little ignorant here, but I always thought that the French royalty had never been totally estinguished and somehow morphed into the Royalty of monacho.

Is that true.
No

LouisFerdinand

Is Prince Francois, the eldest son of Prince Henri, Count of Paris, still in the line of succession to the French throne?

LouisFerdinand

After 1709, the heads of the Orleans branch of the House of Bourbon ranked as the premier princes du sang. 
This meant that the dukes could be addressed as Monsieur le Prince. Also, should there be no heir to the crown of France in the King's immediate family, then the Orleans family would ascend the throne by right.

LouisFerdinand

Charles Napoleon, Prince Napoleon is a Pretender to the French Imperial Throne.   
interview Prince Charles Napoleon - Archive INA - YouTube