Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 ... 10
Britain is taking back the US into the Commonwealth fold. They're just doing it bit by bit. In fifty years their cunning plan will be complete.  :P

Twitter
Diana Princess of Wales / Re: Diana and Charles honeymoon
« Last post by Curryong on Today at 07:23:57 AM »
I doubt that Diana was asked about honeymoon locations, whether she'd like to stay in the one location etc etc. To the BRF the Britannia represented escape. It always had done, and other BRF members had been on the Yacht for their honeymoons before the Wales. (Notably on Anne's honeymoon there had been remarkably high and stormy seas for days, a portent perhaps.)

The BRF in those days had remarkable tunnel vision about their year and important events. For instance June= Ascot and a house party and carriage ride along the course, August = Balmoral, Xmas= Windsor or Sandringham and no inlaws of course, --- and the honeymoon followed this template.

'You want to get away for a nice honeymoon, here take the Britannia, it will be perfect', would be the Queen's reasoning, and fond of it as she was she probably couldn't imagine anything nicer. And don't forget, the Press was already crazy about Diana and peddling the love affair for all they could get so the Yacht offered a great measure of privacy.

We know what Charles's vision of his honeymoon was (and don't forget he'd grown up with the Yacht as an extra home) and that was painting, reading and discussing what he'd read with his bride and perhaps instructing her on it all. It wasn't Diana's cup of tea but I don't believe that dawned on him until they were actually at sea, when all the dreams of long discussions on the philiosophies of Jung over meals just evaporated.

Just as August meant Balmoral, so the Caribbean offered to the BRF lots of warm weather, private little atolls, friendly folk, in spite of some independence movements and therefore a measure of security perhaps a single European location couldn't offer.

You will note that I don't include Charles in much of this honeymoon planning. That is because, aside from the plans to paint etc, I believe he took the choice of route of the Britannia and therefore the location of his and Diana's honeymoon from the recommendations of his older relatives. Not that I think that Necker would have been any better as a choice. Charles would still have taken his books and paints there, and the boredom with each other might have been twenty times worse.

The Sadats just came on board the Britannia for lunch as a courtesy gesture. It was probably arranged by the Foreign and Colonial Office when the Britannia route was decided. Charles as the heir to the British throne was obliged to host the lunch, just like his wedding it was a matter of obligation to the duties of his position. It wasn't a State occasion, a banquet or anything. I believe Diana became tongue-tied (not being used to foreign dignitaries) and kept mentioning the fruit the Sadats had brought as a gift which was whipped up into a fruit salad dessert for the four of them.

How the honeymoon rolled out was as a result of their two very different personalities, writ large when they were near each other for any length of time, in spite of swims on warm tropical beaches and frolics in the waves.
Royalty & Aristocracy Throughout History / Re: King Henry VI of England
« Last post by Curryong on Today at 06:38:38 AM »
Henry never really recovered. That was the most serious bout of the mental illness that plagued him, and may well have been inherited from his mother, Katherine. He was often lethargic, uninterested, in a world of his own. He certainly didn't deserve to be murdered, as he was, but he was not a good King.
On Christmas Day 1454 King Henry VI recovered his health emerging after sixteen and a half months from his stupor. As soon as he could speak, he ordered that a mass of thanksgiving be celebrated in St. George's Chapel. Henry requested that prayers be offered night and day for his complete recovery.
Residences & Architecture / Hatfield House
« Last post by LouisFerdinand on Today at 04:33:18 AM »
Hatfield House in Hatfield of Hertfordshire of England is the home of the Marquess of Salisbury. Within the gardens stands the surviving wing of The Royal Palace of Hatfield where Elizabeth I spent much of her childhood. It was here in the Park that Princess Elizabeth first heard of her accession to the throne.
 In 1956 Antony Armstrong-Jones was commissioned to take the 21st birthday pictures of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent.
Diana Princess of Wales / Re: An English rose
« Last post by LouisFerdinand on Today at 04:10:08 AM »
Diana: An English Rose is the title of a biography of Diana, Princess of Wales. The author is Susan Maxwell Skinner.
Sophia of Nassau, the wife of Oscar II, went against royal tradition by sending her sons to public school rather than letting them be educated at home.
Lets see if he can make a third person unhappy, i know my opinion is in the minority, but a man this foolish and careless doesnt deserve happiness.
Royalty & Aristocracy Throughout History / Re: Lady Jane Grey
« Last post by LouisFerdinand on Today at 04:02:19 AM »
The Italian pastor Michelangelo Florio was employed to instruct Lady Jane Grey in Italian. Jane did well in learning Italian. Florio chose to dedicate one of his grammar books, Regole de la Lingua Thoscana, to her.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 10

Royal Insight Forum is not responsible for the content of external sites