Andrew reined in his dislike of riding as he prepares for Trooping the Colour

Started by Kritter, March 04, 2018, 01:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

Prince Andrew takes riding lessons to be ready for Trooping the Colour | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuoteThe Duke of York has been having lessons to prepare him to appear on horseback for the first time at Trooping the Colour this summer.

He must saddle up in his new role as Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, a title he took over from Prince Philip in December following his father?s retirement from public life.

Andrew, 58, whose preferred mode of transport has earned him the nickname Air Miles Andy, has been practising in the grounds of Windsor Castle, accompanied by a female instructor.

Wearing a waterproof anorak and a helmet, the royal father of two has been trotting along at a leisurely pace in the grounds of his mother?s Berkshire home, where he lives at the Royal Lodge.

TLLK

I would assume that Andrew was introduced to riding at a young age much like his siblings, but apart from the basics he discontinued it years ago. Sarah loved to ride and I believe that their daughters participated in the activity while they were young.  Good idea to begin practicing now and he'll need to try riding with a bearskin on his head as well since he does not have the experience that his brother and nephew do. More than likely the horse that he uses for the TotC will be one that is a stable and seasoned veteran of royal parades who will not likely flinch at the crowd noise or loud music.

amabel

Is Andrew still a hefty lad?  They will need a big sturdy horse////

TLLK

And no doubt they can find one at the Windsor or BP mews.  :wink:

amabel

Duch_Luver_4ever

get a shire draft horse  :lol: doesnt like to ride...wonder who else didnt like to ride  :nod:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

LouisFerdinand

TLLK

@LouisFerdinand - Yes he did but it wasn't his favorite activity. He's brushing  up on his skills so he can participate on horseback for the first time.

Here he is on a Shetland Pony back in 1967.

Prince Andrew Riding His Pony In Windsor Park Pictures | Getty Images