Prince William to Become Full-Time Student to Study Agricultural Management

Started by cinrit, December 30, 2013, 03:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Adams

^^ It would show that William lacks the discipline to finish things he's started  :shrug:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Macrobug

^The guy has finished a uni program with a 2:1, graduated from Sandhurst, became a pilot and served 7.5 years in the army.  Doesn't say quitter to me

It shows that people want to know the minute details of the RF activities.   Maybe that is a good idea, maybe it is not.  Where does it end?  Does QE need to clock in when she starts looking at the red boxes and clock out when she ends?  Every minute of every meeting be available to the public?

People don't graduate from bespoke programs.  When it is done, it is done.  The RF doesn't report every activity.  They announced that William was taking this course.  They obviously did not see the need to announce that it was over - they said it would be X many weeks and likely assumed that we all could figure out how to look at a calendar to find out when it was over.  Maybe they didn't think that people would be that interested.  Who knows?

The RF has always operated on a need to know basis.  The exceptional is reported.  IF he had NOT completed the course, it would have been announced, IMO.   The fact that the course was over is not exceptional - it was expected.  Therefore, not announced.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Canuck

I agree with that, Macrobug.  If this had been a program where he got a degree or had a graduation ceremony at the end, I'm sure that would have been announced.  But if there is an announcement that he is undertaking a time-limited activity without that type of end event, then I would not expect an announcement he had reached the pre-scheduled end.  I would, however, expect an announcement if he had failed to complete something it was announced he was doing. 

HistoryGirl

Macrobug

Of course they are going to announce that he is doing a course like that.   People would have noticed his activities on campus.  And media would have wondered and dug

Speaking of which.  Had he not finished the course don't you think the media would have figured that out by now.  And I am sure someone checked.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Canuck

Quote from: HistoryGirl on July 29, 2014, 03:08:49 AM
Then why announce that he's taking it to begin with

I don't see how that's the same thing?  He was taking a course to help him prepare for running the Duchy.  That's relevant information to his role as a Royal, and it makes total sense that it would be announced (and as Macrobug points out, it's not like they could have hid it even if they'd wanted to).  But to then say "remember how we said Will was doing a ten week class?  Well, it's been 10 weeks and now it's over" doesn't seem like a necessary announcement to me.  On the other hand, if Will had dropped out of the program in week 9 for some reason, I would expect an announcement to clarify that (again, as Macrobug says, it's likely someone would have figured out that had happened, if it had, and the BRF would want to get out in front of that story).

In All I Do

Quote from: Macrobug on July 29, 2014, 03:13:21 AM
Of course they are going to announce that he is doing a course like that.   People would have noticed his activities on campus.  And media would have wondered and dug

You know, I could have sworn I pointed that out three pages ago.

ETA: oh, wait, sorry.. that was in the other thread.

HistoryGirl

^What's necessary to you may not be what is deemed necessary to others. I said that because someone posted about the "where will the reports of royalty end". To me it doesn't matter whether he finished the course or not because I've gone on record as being confused why that was not pursued as an undergrad. I don't care about it one way or another because i dont care about William; hes more of an anomaly to me more than anything else. I simply agreed with Lady Adams that it is a possibility that he did not finish; whether that makes sense to others that disagree is not something that I can fix. 

Macrobug

^^I swear I said the same thing, too, a while back.   :happy15:

Why would someone not finish a bespoke program?  He has proven he can handle uni level work.  It is tailored to him and his interests.  There doesn't seem to be any question that he wasn't attending up to week 9.  Why would he "drop out" with one week left?
Maybe everything was finished with one week to spare?
Maybe it was "takehome" stuff that he completed at pool side?
Maybe (and this is the most likely one) he finished up when he got back after a planned trip that the university was aware was happening from the get-go?

Think about all the logistics that is necessary for a Royal to travel out of country.  They don't just drop everything and go.  They have to notify the country they are going to.  Even for private visits.  This trip wasn't spur of the moment.  It was planned.  And if it was planned, the uni was in on the planning.  Ergo....the break was part of the plan and Wills did not skip out.
GNU Terry Pratchett

In All I Do

Quote from: HistoryGirl on July 29, 2014, 03:25:40 AM
^What's necessary to you may not be what is deemed necessary to others. I said that because someone posted about the "where will the reports of royalty end". To me it doesn't matter whether he finished the course or not because I've gone on record as being confused why that was not pursued as an undergrad. I don't care about it one way or another because i dont care about William; hes more of an anomaly to me more than anything else. I simply agreed with Lady Adams that it is a possibility that he did not finish; whether that makes sense to others that disagree is not something that I can fix.

I'm willing to concede that there's a possibility that he didn't finish, for the record. I tend to think he did, but that's because I haven't been shown any evidence that he didn't, and it makes more sense to me that he did than didn't.

The *only* actual fact is that we do not know all the facts (a point I've made before, which always gets interpreted as meaning more than it does, FWIW). Therefore for either side of the "he did/he didn't" to claim "facts" is premature.

HistoryGirl

Ok...sure he finished. You guys win. No sense in arguing this anymore for me. 

Canuck

I agree with that, Adrienne.  Do we know 100% for certain that Will finished the course?  No.  But it is, IMO, far far more likely than the alternative, that Will for some reason dropped out of a course with one week left, when he had already completed 90% of it and there were no exams to be passed, and the BRF said nothing to explain him dropping out and no reporter received any leak from any source about that happening. 

Not every little detail of the BRF's lives is going to be subject to a press release, so at some point I think it makes sense to assume that the obvious, likely thing occurred since no one has given any reason to think it didn't.  But obviously others are free to their own views.

Macrobug

Quote from: HistoryGirl on July 29, 2014, 03:38:04 AM
Ok...sure he finished. You guys win. No sense in arguing this anymore for me.

HG   This isn't a contest.  There isn't a winner/loser.  We are discussing!  Debating!  :happy20: This is the point of a forum.  Someone comes up with a topic and we discuss.  People will have differing opinions and so we set forth our argument with what we feel is right and then the next person agree or disputes. 

There is no winners.  What fun is there in that.  This forum is to share opinions and ideas.  It is suppose to be fun!  C'mon and play!  :flower:  Tell us what you think and why.  If there is any winning it is in the meeting of minds and maybe even knowledge gained and the expansion of horizons.   Half the time I am coming up with a theory on the fly.  I try to see if I can present it in a logical manner that is thought through  (kinda like essay writing).  And just when I think it is airtight, some one comes along and demonstrates all sorts of holes in my logic.  And I say " well, crap"  and try to argue it from another direction.  If anything, spending time here has improved my debating and writing skills.

You are a history major.  I, for one, love British history.  And I would love to debate history with someone who truly knows it.   
GNU Terry Pratchett

HistoryGirl

I cannot; when I apply the skills of historical analysis someone claims the entirety of the facts aren't there, but in history the facts are never all there but that doesn't stop the conclusion. So for me personally there's no point because that's the only way I can do things.

Macrobug

Ah.  I think that you would be someone who could truly debate.  I have a scientific brain.  I am just learning to debate.  In health care we operate on signs and symptoms and tests to rule out a list of possibilities.  Quite different.  Which makes it so much fun here.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Limabeany

Fact: William signed up for a 10 week course.
Fact: William was vacationing abroad 1 and half weeks during this course.
Fact: Neither the Palace nor Cambridge announced William was on spring break during either vacation from the course.
Fact: William was not photographed or reported either by media or students attending the course more than a few times.
(One would think the students would have been talking about it, the whole ten weeks)
Fact: Neither the Palace nor Cambridge announced William finished the course. The story simply died...
(If they announced he had started it, why not announce he had finished it?)
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

wannable

Quote from: Canuck on July 29, 2014, 03:42:04 AM
I agree with that, Adrienne.  Do we know 100% for certain that Will finished the course?  No.  But it is, IMO, far far more likely than the alternative, that Will for some reason dropped out of a course with one week left, when he had already completed 90% of it and there were no exams to be passed, and the BRF said nothing to explain him dropping out and no reporter received any leak from any source about that happening. 

Not every little detail of the BRF's lives is going to be subject to a press release, so at some point I think it makes sense to assume that the obvious, likely thing occurred since no one has given any reason to think it didn't.  But obviously others are free to their own views.

The course included geography, which he majored in university, plus A level as undergrad. Very highly likely he was exempt from retaking it again during the ten week leadership sustainability course.

William will do good when the duchy is his, anecdotes of father and son loving Highgrove....priced and worldwide renowned for its farming and organic sustainability.

Limabeany

No evidence he was exempt from anything, no evidence he will be good at managing a Duchy he isn't even putting in a visible effort to learn about and work in or even wanting to do this in his thirties already... As far as opinions go, it is as valuable as any. :)
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

wannable

Limabeany

William seems so hell-bent in having his way and doing what he pleases, I doubt Kate has much say in anything. I think he really likes being with the Middletons and why not?

In All I Do

Quote from: wannable on July 29, 2014, 10:56:20 AM
Quote from: Canuck on July 29, 2014, 03:42:04 AM

The course included geography, which he majored in university, plus A level as undergrad. Very highly likely he was exempt from retaking it again during the ten week leadership sustainability course.

William will do good when the duchy is his, anecdotes of father and son loving Highgrove....priced and worldwide renowned for its farming and organic sustainability.

To be honest, I find it far more credible that the course was built with the vacations baked in than that they created a bespoke course and then exempted him from part of it, FWIW. There were 12 weeks between the week of January 7 (counting that week) and the end of March. The course was reported to be ending at "the end of March". If it was a straight 10 weeks, the last week would have been March 10-14, which a) is not the end of march, but the middle, b) overlapped the vacation. While that can be interpreted as "he skipped out on the last week", I feel the most likely scenario, given the type of course it was, is that the 10 weeks was spread over the 12 weeks, with time for the vacation, hunting trip, and official engagements.

As an aside, I notice no-one ever points at the engagements he undertook on Feb 12, 16, March 4, 17, and 18 as evidence that he was skipping out on the course, though they happened within the Jan-Mar period in which he was studying. They certainly took time away from the course. If you believe, as I do, that the course was designed with his pre-existing schedule baked in, then it's not a problem. But if you believe that he had 10 weeks straight from January 7, with no flexibility allowed, then the evidence says he was skipping class on Feb 12 & 16, and March 4.

Limabeany

There was no mention anywhere of the course ending at the end of March, but simply in March. You are right about the engagements, Adrienne, it is easier to justify a day here and there than a full week and half week but if you add the engagements to the week and half that makes it nearly three weeks that William did not attend. :hmm: The problem with the pre-existing schedule built around his engagements lies in the fact that some classes were taken not by William alone but on pre-existing classes with other PhD students...

In All I Do

Quote from: Limabeany on July 29, 2014, 12:07:42 PM
There was no mention anywhere of the course ending at the end of March, but simply in March. You are right about the engagements, Adrienne, it is easier to justify a day here and there than a full week and half week but if you add the engagements to the week and half that makes it nearly three weeks that William did not attend. :hmm:

"He is studying in order to prepare himself for taking over the Duchy of Cornwall estate but doesn't have any classes this week and the course is set to conclude at the end of the month."
Paradise lost for Prince William on return to Cambridge University to hit the books after 'honeymoon' trip to the Maldives with Kate | Cambridge News

"Prince William is to complete his 10-week intensive agricultural course at Cambridge University at the end of March, however his getaway comes during a week where no lectures are scheduled."
Prince William and Kate Middleton spotted on holiday in Maldives - hellomagazine.com

There's also some blog posts. :shrug: 

Again, I am not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that there are other reasonable interpretations.

Canuck

I saw a number of articles talk about the course finishing at the end of March.  Here's one example:  Prince William and Kate Middleton spotted on holiday in Maldives - hellomagazine.com

It also notes that there were no lectures scheduled the week he was away.

Limabeany

Funny how Cambridge News and Hello 'knew' that but none of the UK newspapers knew that. Especially since it was bespoke ONLY for William and no dates were given to the media only From January through March according to UK news media, I wonder what went on there, I guess we'll never know, he didn't attend nearly three weeks and there is no evidence  he attended more than a few times, no reports from the students and so forth and there was no information from the Palace saying he finished it...  :hmm: