Ask Windsor

Started by Orchid, May 09, 2014, 01:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

Quote from: SophieChloe on September 24, 2014, 07:58:45 PM
Thanks, @Windsor.  I'm of the opinion that the real cost of securing the royals is kept secret because the British public would be outraged at just how much they cost us.

I don't think that is the real issue behind the true cost being kept private. It makes sense for the details and true cost to remain private on security grounds, as this policy is kept right across government and not just when it concerns the Monarchy.

Another question, please.  The blood royal and spouse are out on an engagement.  There is a real threat to life.  Who would the RPO's save - the blood royal or the married in one?

@SophieChloe

A Prince of the Royal Blood will always be the main priority - engagements are planned way in advanced, and security measures are assessed accordingly. If there was a credible enough threat then extra security would be provided by the RPO's and behind the scenes by MI5 and the military.

TLLK

Regarding security I agree that the information is kept secret as to share the cost for equipment and the number of personnel deployed for protection purposes would provide any would-be assailants too much information.

SophieChloe

@Windsor - Thanks  :hug:

However, I have no problem with securing members of Government - they have been elected and we can boot them out (what's it now 7 months?)

I do, however have a problem with securing unelected people who, IMO are taking the mickey-do-dah.  Take Kate for example, decamping to Middleton Manor at the cost of gawd knows how much to us.  Do you find that extra cost acceptable?  I don't.  And this w/e William and Harry apparently had 9 TP funded bodyguards with them to attend a wedding - Really?!?

Quote from: Windsor on September 29, 2014, 11:12:16 AM
A Prince of the Royal Blood will always be the main priority - engagements are planned way in advanced, and security measures are assessed accordingly. If there was a credible enough threat then extra security would be provided by the RPO's and behind the scenes by MI5 and the military.
Once again, Thanks @Windsor - I was afraid my question sounded like I was a deranged fruitloop.  Do MI5 and military not have more important worries than protecting members of an unelected family?  I would hope so. 

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

Piggy backing off this question: What would the government do if a royal had been kidnapped by a terrorist group who demanded that the government meet their demands for (prisoner release, withdrawal from an area of conflict etc..)?

SophieChloe

Good question.  Would they pay a ransom?  They refuse to for other UK citizens. 

TLLK

I would think that the same would have to apply to the BRF, though IMO it would be easier for the public to accept if it's an adult who has been kidnapped rather than a child ie: James Wessex.

SophieChloe

Goodness, such an awful thought.   

However, I believe the Government would cough up if it was H&W's heads being threatened to be hacked off. 

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts, Windsor

Windsor

Quote from: SophieChloe on September 29, 2014, 07:38:21 PM
@WindsorI do, however have a problem with securing unelected people who, IMO are taking the mickey-do-dah.  Take Kate for example, decamping to Middleton Manor at the cost of gawd knows how much to us.  Do you find that extra cost acceptable?  I don't.  And this w/e William and Harry apparently had 9 TP funded bodyguards with them to attend a wedding - Really?!

@SophieChloe You have a good point, however the Royal Family don't have much say over the issue, security will be provided for as long as they remain a public interest and their every move comes with real and credible threats to their safety. Even if we were to abolish the Monarchy, and they were to play to part in society security would still be provided. Look at Germany, they don't have a Monarchy but their former Royal Families still get provided with security when credible threats are discovered.

It is the duty of the State to protect its citizens, and that includes the Royal Family.   

QuoteDo you find that extra cost acceptable?  I don't.  And this w/e William and Harry apparently had 9 TP funded bodyguards with them to attend a wedding - Really?!?

The threat does not stop (or becomes a lesser threat) when members of the Royal Family take their 'Crowns' off to attend private events, or when off duty. Security is a 24 hour business. Look at the incident where the Queen was woken up by a complete stranger sitting on her bed at Buckingham Palace.

QuoteDo MI5 and military not have more important worries than protecting members of an unelected family?  I would hope so.

These agencies have different teams working towards different goals, but the overall aim is to provide intelligence and protection for the United Kingdom and all its people.

Windsor

Quote from: TLLK on September 30, 2014, 02:46:38 PM
Piggy backing off this question: What would the government do if a royal had been kidnapped by a terrorist group who demanded that the government meet their demands for (prisoner release, withdrawal from an area of conflict etc..)?

@TLLK

My expectation would be for the Government to keep to their existing and age old policy of not negotiating with terrorist. All of this while deploying the SAS to locate and secure the release of the prisoner. This would entail the security services working closely with the intelligence agencies (MI5/6) - we can see this happening right now, the security forces are working to locate the British hostage currently being held by IS in Syria, this person is neither of high rank or station and yet a vast amount of resources are being used to find and release him.

wannable

Worst case scenario, there's 60+ People in the line of succession.

Windsor

Hence the need for an heir and a spare. :windsor1:

TLLK

Thank you Windsor. I see a similar scenario for the current and former POTUS and FLOTUS. It could even extend to their children if they thought it was necessary. Even though Chelsea Clinton has not qualified for Secret Service protection since her father's term ended, with her new baby there could be threats that the Secret Service keeps an eye on and informs the couple.

SophieChloe

@Windsor Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions  :hug:  Much appreciated.

However, what's your thoughts on this :

Quote from: SophieChloe on September 30, 2014, 02:58:28 PM
Good question.  Would they pay a ransom?  They refuse to for other UK citizens. 

Quote from: SophieChloe on September 30, 2014, 08:14:37 PM
Goodness, such an awful thought.   

However, I believe the Government would cough up if it was H&W's heads being threatened to be hacked off. 
I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts, Windsor

Windsor

QuoteWould they pay a ransom?  They refuse to for other UK citizens. 

@SophieChloe

No they would not. My expectation would be for the Government to keep to their existing age old policy and not negotiate with terrorist. In my previous post I elaborated further what the government actually does when it comes to such situations. The same would apply regardless of who it is that has been taken hostage.  :hug:

SophieChloe

@Windsor Interesting! Thank You  :love6:

TLLK

Dear Windsor,
     Recently the Telegraph and Daily Mail have published a story regarding a young family and their encounter with the Cambridges' Royal Protection Officers near the Middleton's home. Apparently the family had some car trouble just outside of the property and were  approached by the armed RPOs. The father stated that their handguns were drawn as they approached the vehicle. The family were unaware that this was the Middleton's home and that the Cambridges (some or all) were on the property at the time. The RPOs explained who they were and why they were present. After determining that the family were indeed in a jam they reportedly tried to offer service to the family but were unable to find the right car part they needed. The family called for roadside assistance and then set off. The next day the family spotted Kate, Carole and George at a local farm/petting zoo attraction.

My question is was this the appropriate action for the RPOs to take when approaching the family? It has created some discussion in the Cambridge thread and I wanted to get your opinion. Thank you

Windsor

Quote from: TLLK on October 29, 2014, 05:57:41 PMMy question is was this the appropriate action for the RPOs to take when approaching the family? It has created some discussion in the Cambridge thread and I wanted to get your opinion. Thank you

The RPOs are free to use their own judgment and initiative when it comes to protecting the Royal Family - obviously, there is a set of guidelines, protocols and standards that they must adhere to, but at the end of the day it all comes down to developments on the ground, and if a threat is identified, they must act upon it.

TLLK

Thank you for your reply Windsor. As expected the RPOs function much like the American Secret Service agents and must assess what is happening at the time to decide how/when to act.

Double post auto-merged: November 10, 2014, 05:46:39 PM

Windsor this was question was posted in another section, but I thought it deserved to be shared here in the "Ask Windsor" forum.

"If the crown estates belong to the royals as some falsely believe shouldn't the country's debt belong to the royals?"

What would be your take on this? :)

SophieChloe

Is this true @Windsor

If so, why?

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter  ยท  13 hrs 13 hours ago

British MPs are banned from criticising or debating individual royals in Parliament.

TLLK

A question for Windsor. When a royal does a visit to an event: patronage Who picks up the cost for drinks/food/security at the meeting?

TheRealDuchessOfSussex

Hiya Windsor! Can we start a Royal Predictions thread on this forum?
I think I'm the only one here that has written a letter to the Queen and got a letter back from the Lady in Waiting..... :P :happy15: :wed: