Duchess of Cambridge - Malta Visit

Started by cinrit, July 06, 2014, 01:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

(sigh) I'll go off topic with you Lady Adams.  IMHO one of the happiest of royal weddings because Victoria's smile and Daniel's speech to his bride were among the highlights. The glitter that was on display was spectacular. It was one of those occasions where I'd happily give the royal ladies free reign in wearing as many pieces as possible. Also it's a good thing that the Swedish royals have plenty to share because CG's sisters were going to need something to wear as well.

PrincessOfPeace

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter  ·  4m

Lots of pageantry for Kate in Malta, including a re-enactment of the inspection of the fort and garrison in Palace Square, Valletta.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter  ·  7m

Among other highlights of Kate's Malta visit: a walkabout in Vittoriosa Square and a boat tour of the Grand Harbour on Sept 21.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter  ·  9m

Kate will see an attend a spectacular 50th anniversary of independence evening celebration overlooking the Grand Harbour on Sept 20.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter ·  12m

Kensington Palace has announced a busy schedule in Malta for the Duchess of Cambridge on her first solo overseas visit on Sept 20 and 21

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/majestymagazine

The programme for the Duchess of Cambridge's visit to Malta from 20-21 September has been announced by Kensington Palace.

Saturday 20 September

Event 1: Call on the President of Malta at San Anton Palace,
where the Duchess will be staying.

Event 2: Call on the Prime Minister of Malta at Auberge de Castille.

Event 3: In Guardia Pageant, Palace Square, Valletta
The Duchess will view a re-enactment of an historical event – the inspection of the fort and garrison by the Grand Bailiff of the Order of the Knights of St John. A variety of military drills will be displayed.

Event 4: National Library, Valletta
The Duchess will view a number of historical documents, including letters from King Henry VIII and George II, and the original citation awarding the George Cross to Malta.

Event 5: Independence Day Celebrations, Upper Barrakka Gardens
The Duchess will attend an evening celebration. The backdrop to the celebration will be the spectacular view of the Grand Harbour.

Sunday 21 September

Event 6: Independence Day Service, St John's Co-Cathedral
The Duchess will attend a church service. She will later view the two Caravaggios in the Cathedral Museum.

Event 7: Access Centre in Vittoriosa
The Duchess will visit Agenzija Zghazagh (Agency for Youth), a government agency which runs a number of initiatives for young people. HRH will hear about the work of the agency from the young people who use the centre and their support workers.

Event 8: Short walk in Vittoriosa Square
The Duchess will take a short walk through the town square. She will then be taken to the Church of St Lawrence to view Maltese art before leaving for the harbour.

Event 9: Boat Tour, Grand Harbour
The Duchess will take a short boat tour across the Grand Harbour to see some iconic views between Vittoriosa and Valletta.

Event 10: The High Commissioner's Garden Party, High Commissioner's Residence
The Duchess will attend an Independence Day Celebration hosted by the British High Commissioner.

FanDianaFancy

I did not  have time to  look  at the links. She  looks great, as always.  She will do well, as always.

That  is  all  a  given.... but needs more  ...oh never mind.

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteKENSINGTON Palace has announced a busy programme of 10 engagements in two days for the Duchess of Cambridge in Malta next month on her first official solo overseas visit.

Kate, 32, will be away from her husband Prince William and their 13-month-old son Prince George for one night when she travels to the Mediterranean island on September 20 and 21 to mark the 50th anniversary of its independence from Britain.

Her programme will include plenty of pomp and pageantry as the strategic island, given the George Cross by King George VI to mark the bravery of its people during the Second World War, turns out to greet her.

The centrepiece of her trip will be an independence celebration overlooking the Grand Harbour in the capital Valletta on September 20.
More: Kate Middleton set for first solo overseas trip to mark Malta's independence | Royal | News | Daily Express

Canuck

Lots of interesting events!  I'm looking forward to learning more about Malta from the coverage of the visit. 

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteThe Duchess of Cambridge will be guest of honour at a spectacular celebration in Malta next month, on her first solo foreign tour on behalf of the Queen.

Kate will leave her young son, Prince George, behind – as well as her husband, Prince William - for two days of official events to mark the 50th anniversary of the island's independence from the UK.

It is a sign of her confidence in her grandson's wife that the monarch has asked the Duchess to travel to the Mediterranean island which holds a special place in her heart.
More: Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, heading to Malta on solo foreign tour on behalf of the Queen | Mail Online

SophieChloe

Bully for her (PR).  I'm sick of her and her husband. 

What on earth will she be talking about whilst meeting the President & PM?   

Any speech?  Or will it just be cutie smiles and flapping of hands?
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

HistoryGirl

I fully expect a good speech since she's going solo. I think it'd be really weird if she hadn't improved on her public speaking so I expect it'll be good since she's had time to practice.

PrincessOfPeace

USA TODAY

QuoteThe good news for Malta: Duchess Kate of Cambridge arrives in four weeks! The worrying news for Malta: A zillion media people are coming, too.

No doubt at least some Maltese are preparing to flee their pretty little Mediterranean island, beloved of tourists, medieval knights and Queen Elizabeth II, before the invaders arrive.

It's going to be a spectacle but an historic one: It's the first solo official visit for the former Kate Middleton — so no Prince William or baby Prince George — to represent the queen on the 50th anniversary of Malta's independence from Britain.
More: Operation ?Take-Kate-to-Malta? begins: Look out, Malta | Entertain This!

KaTerina Montague

I haven't watched many of Kates speeches I think she's only done 3, but from what I've seen she hasn't been bad. What does she need to improve on?

TLLK

Quote from: Canuck on August 22, 2014, 07:08:49 PM
Lots of interesting events!  I'm looking forward to learning more about Malta from the coverage of the visit. 
I agree and I've always had an interest in this Mediterranean crossroad! The history is IMO incredible when you think of all of the influences on this island.

Lady Adams

Quote from: KaTerina Montague on August 22, 2014, 10:22:52 PM
I haven't watched many of Kates speeches I think she's only done 3, but from what I've seen she hasn't been bad. What does she need to improve on?
I haven't been impressed with her speeches. There has been a lot of looking down at notes (in the middle of simple sentences) and hair flipping. I agree with History Girl-- I expect there to be improvement...she's had enough time to prepare.  :shrug:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Curryong

I often wonder if the hair-flipping is a sign of nervous tension, a bit like Charles fiddling with his cuff links, William rubbing his hands together and Harry reaching for his chest and scratching a nipple! Either way, I agree that Kate needs some tutoring on how to give a good speech, and if she keeps her hair out of the equation or styled up and away from her fingers that would be even better.

amabel

Quote from: Inge Jones on July 06, 2014, 01:29:14 PM
It takes the media a while to work out that people sometimes change their name upon marriage and she's not Kate Middleton any more.  I think they've just about got it with Camilla now, and you rarely hear the Parker Bowles bit any more.
this Is getting a bti annoying.  Kate isn't "kate Midleton" so why do the papers keep referrig to her as such.

Limabeany

There are more searches for Kate Middleton so it helps with the click counts. I don't see a problem, that is her family name, she is married and not assimilated into the cyborg collective, that is her name, as well as whatever other name she chooses to call herself upon marriage.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

amabel

Her offiica Little is Duchess Of Cambridge.  its not that difficult for them o get it right.

Lady Adams

Could it be that, if she did more official duties, she'd be known more as the Duchess of Cambridge?
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Limabeany

Kate Middleton set for first solo overseas trip to mark Malta's independence | Royal | News | Daily Express

Full programme:

September 20

Call on President Marie Louise Coleiro Preca at San Anton Palace

Call on Prime Minister Dr Jospeph Muscat at Auberge de Castille

In Guardia Pageant at Palace Square, Valletta, where Kate will view a re-enactment of an historical event – the inspection of the fort and garrison by the Grand Bailiff of the Order of  the Knights of St John. A variety of military drills will be displayed.

Kate views historical royal documents at National Library Valletta

Independence Day Celebrations at Upper Barrakka Gardens

September 21

Kate attends independence day church service at St John's Co-Cathedral and views art works

Visits Agency for Youth in Vittoriosa

Walkabout in town square in Vittoriosa and see art work at church

Boat tour of Grand Harbour

High commissioner's garden party
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Curryong

The Press apparently think the public are dumb and don't know who the Duchess of Cambridge is! I think it will be easier for Kate when she becomes Princess of Wales. Enough time will have passed for her not to be confused with that other Prss of Wales (Camilla not taking the title has helped in that regard) although we will probably then get references to 'Princess Kate' as time goes on!

amabel

Quote from: Lady Adams on August 23, 2014, 01:34:54 AM
Could it be that, if she did more official duties, she'd be known more as the Duchess of Cambridge?
no She IS the Duchess of Cambridge.. it doesn't matter if she never did a public appearance.

Lady Adams

Quote from: Curryong on August 23, 2014, 02:20:21 AM
The Press apparently think the public are dumb and don't know who the Duchess of Cambridge is! I think it will be easier for Kate when she becomes Princess of Wales. Enough time will have passed for her not to be confused with that other Prss of Wales (Camilla not taking the title has helped in that regard) although we will probably then get references to 'Princess Kate' as time goes on!
This is very true. Good points.

In All I Do

It's interesting.. for a standard google search, I'm getting ~19 million hits for Kate Middleton and almost 16 million for Duchess of Cambridge, so getting closer to 50/50.

OTOH, news.google is 85000 for Kate Middleton and ~8000, a tenfold difference.

SEO can account for a lot of it, I agree, Limabeany. Though, looking at google trends, from April 2011 til May 2014, "Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge" is actually a more popular search term than "Kate Middleton". However, they dwarf both "Duchess of Cambridge" and "Duchess Kate". (Google Trends

Though, to be honest, when it comes to the press, I think that they lead with whatever one gives them the "feel" they want.
Writing a story about her fashion? "Duchess of Cambridge".
Writing a story to point out that she's so terribly middle class and needs a talking to about her hemlines, trashy taste in birthday themes and/or kitchen? Kate Middleton.
Writing a heartwarming story emphasizing Kate as a wife and mom? just "Kate".

cate1949

this looks like a very interesting trip - she actually should enjoy it - Malta is gorgeous - the Knights of Malta are a lovely hunky group of guys - serious lookers - I know I am so trivial :blush:

I know Di did solo foreign tours - but this seems like it would have been a great trip for the two of them

I expect a great dress to match the gala atmosphere of this party -

HistoryGirl

I agree with Adrienne, the media chooses which angle to play off. That being said, I'm not quite sure why it matters so much lol its not like they're calling her by a derogatory remark

amabel

I think it is extremely rude ot call a woman who has a title a well known title, form her marriage, by her former name...as bad as calling Camilla "Parker Bowles"