The Japanese Imperial Family General News and Chat

Started by Kritter, February 23, 2018, 01:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

A thread to discuss the Japanese Imperial Family's news not related to official duties.

Controversy surrounding the succession to the Imperial Throne of Japan ? Royal Central

QuoteThe Japanese Monarchy is the oldest monarchy in the world, and that becomes very clear from the moment you come across the succession law that governs it.

We are now in 2018 and women are still not allowed to succeed to the Chrysanthemum Throne which is unacceptable in the world today where the principles of gender equality are so desperately important.

The succession to the Chrysanthemum Throne follows the rules established by the Imperial House Law of 1947 that sets the succession according to the principles of Salic Law, which states that only males have dynastic rights.

A great irony of the Japanese succession law is that it creates an even bigger problem for the Imperial Family due to the lack of male heirs to the throne.

TLLK

I wish that this had been resolved years ago when it was obvious that the CP couple were not going to have any other children. No males had been born in the family for decades until the birth of Prince Hashito. Allowing women to take the their place in the line of succession should not be an in issue in the 21st century IMHO.

Curryong

That's right, TLLK, but tell that to the Imperial Household! I think most Japanese, especially the younger generation, think this situation is ridiculous. However, those fossils and other conservative elements within the extended Imperial Family itself won't move on the subject. Perhaps if Hashito has no male heirs? We are looking at another generation before anything enlightened occurs, I think.

TLLK

Princess Aiko heads to Britain to attend course at Eton College?The Asahi Shimbun

QuoteThe 16-year-old daughter of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako left for England on July 22 from Tokyo?s Haneda Airport.

During her first solo-stay abroad, the princess will be housed in a student dormitory in the college grounds close to Windsor Castle, one of the residences of Britain's royal family.

Eton, founded in the 15th century by royal decree, is probably England's most renowned school. It has a reputation for educating generations of the aristocracy.

Its summer school program is closely tied to that of the one operated by Gakushuin Girls? Senior High School in Tokyo that Aiko attends.

I'm glad that Aiko is being given the opportunity to travel outside of Japan like her older cousins  Mako and Kako did when they were younger. Other royal princesses have also been busy traveling this summer or will do so soon.

Leonor and Sofia of Spain spent a month at an American summer camp to practice their English. Belgium's Elisabeth will be starting school in Wales this September.

TLLK

In an era of social distancing, does Japan's emperor need social media?

Unlike most of his peers in Europe the Emperor has been seen via social media or in televised addresses.

QuoteWhen Emperor Naruhito attended a nationally televised ceremony this past weekend to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Japan?s surrender in World War II, it was practically his first major public appearance in six months ? and possibly his last this year.

The pandemic has forced the cancellation of ceremonies, parties and international trips that otherwise would have raised the profile of the nation?s emperor, who took the helm of the world?s oldest continuous monarchy last year. Instead, his absence from the public spotlight has created an impression of him fading from view, prompting many to wonder, ?Where is the emperor??

COVID-19 presents the question of how the emperor can live up to his constitutionally defined role as the ?symbol? of the people when circumstances prevent him from adhering to the precedents set by former Emperor Akihito, his tremendously popular father.

During his 30-year reign, Akihito famously carved out a new interpretation of the vaguely worded concept of a ?symbolic? emperor.

The now-emperor emeritus sought to personify this role by taking an unprecedentedly intimate approach to the people. For example, he and his wife, Empress Emerita Michiko, frequently visited disaster evacuees in person and comforted them on the same eye level, sometimes even kneeling down.

Quotehe roundabout way Emperor Naruhito delivered his message on the pandemic, however, raises the question of why he didn?t just speak to the people directly.

His reticence has contrasted sharply with the great lengths to which kings and queens overseas, especially those in Europe, went in the early days of the pandemic to communicate with the public, issuing an array of video messages seeking to allay their fears.

Those include British Queen Elizabeth II, King Harald V of Norway, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and Spain?s King Felipe VI.

The difference in attitudes partly stems from the unique role and authority assigned to emperors, who are stripped of political power under the postwar Constitution as the antithesis of their godlike status during the war, which symbolized Imperial Japan?s militarism. As such, they cannot say anything that is even remotely political in public today, with their words often strictly vetted and scripted in advance.

Such is the weight of words of emperors that their direct addresses to the nation are, as a rule, reserved only for very special moments, observers say.

wannable

I'd be surprised if they do.  I mean as a Japanese martial arts practitioner I Ai Do (Iaido, Iajutsu), I've studied their culture, when one is serious in any of their social and culture arts (and sports, arms into ancient wars) they are silent people, within the bustle and hustle.

Blue Clover

TLLK

It's about time that they held these discussions IMHO as limiting male only succession has left the Imperial throne with only three successors: CP Fumihito (55), Prince Hishato (14) and Prince Hitachi  (85).

QuoteJapan's imperial house has been shrinking under the 1947 Imperial House Law, which states that only men in the paternal line can ascend the throne. It also requires women marrying commoners to abandon their royal status.

Japan to set up panel on imperial succession as family shrinks

QuoteA Kyodo News poll conducted in March and April last year showed 85 percent of respondents were in favor of allowing women to ascend the throne.

However, conservatives in the ruling Liberal Democratic Party are reluctant to make significant changes to the imperial succession, with Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga saying in January, "Under current circumstances, male-only succession should be given priority."

The panel will likely discuss ways to alleviate the burden of official duties on a shrinking pool of imperial family members, such as delegating duties to women who have lost their royal status after marrying a commoner or allowing them to head their own branches of the imperial family.

Blue Clover

Yes, reviewing the process is important as this very small group begins to age.

Curryong

About time? There is one teenage boy, one male in late middle age and a very old man in the direct line of succession. One of these days reality will bite these conservatives where the sun don?t shine and they?ll be forced to confront the modern world. Surely even they would realise that the pool of IF members will have to include female relatives if it keeps on shrinking.

Quite frankly it would have been useful if the creaking medieval edifice that is the Japanese Imperial Household officialdom had been disassembled some time in 1946 during Occupation,  allowing members of the IF to behave more like human beings and less like programmed robots over the last 75 years!  !

wannable

It's not going to happen, it will be discussed as the PM said, but the majority will keep the monarchy as is.

PrincessOfPeace

wannable

Yes, they have an 'aging population' who still hold the Monarchy very dearly (so they are worried about the future) - Japanese culture pass on (and their offspring take it very seriously and a priority in their lives) their history, because it was the Monarch who made sure there was peace (and a transitional surrender) WWII. The panel to discuss will be recorded for history, but the PM with no public or political opposition said: ?Under current circumstances, male-only succession should be given priority,.

My sensei master is the last generation in the Japanese martial arts I practice. It will die with him, as he never married or has children, he does have a Japanese successor - it's so serious - the communique was sent to all schools worldwide 2020. Since the pandemic, nobody but his students in Japan have seen him. He travels to 12 countries/12 months of the year every year, invited by the local Japanese embassy tied to the Cultural Department of each country he travels. So, I would always travel to the closest country or if/when loads of cash to spare, travel and experience another farther country. The schooling and attendance is exclusive.   My point is they keep their tradition very seriously, my sensei is the 12th generation from his family of Samurai's. His father, the father of his father and so on, it's fascinating.

TLLK

Former Emperor and Empress of Japan among Imperial Family members to be vaccinated ? Royal Central

QuoteEmperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko received Covid-19 vaccinations earlier this week. Aged 87 and 86 respectfully, they are two of six imperial family members who received the vaccine.

Princess Nobuko, Princess Hisako and Prince Hitachi and his wife, Princess Hanako, also got their jabs. Seven Imperial Family members are eligible, but 97-year-old Princess Yuriko has yet to be inoculated.

Japan began vaccinated its elderly population, totaling 36 million, in mid-April. As of now, half a million have their shots and the government plans for their second shots to be done around July. The Imperial Household Agency stated it will work with local government and the health ministry to get vaccines, ?We will follow the government?s policy and conduct vaccinations for them based on their wishes.?

TLLK

The Emperor has also received his first COVID vaccine as of today.

Emperor of Japan gets first jab as Tokyo declares new state of emergency ahead of Olympics ? Royal Central

QuoteThe Emperor of Japan, Naruhito, has received his first jab of the COVID-19 vaccine at the Akasaka Imperial Residence.

The Imperial Household Agency broke with their stance to not share vaccination information on the Imperial Family, revealing Emperor Naruhito received his first shot on 6 July. However, they did not reveal if his wife, Empress Masako, also received a jab.

A spokesman for the Imperial Household explained why they shared the news on the Emperor: ?We deemed it appropriate to make an announcement about the Emperor as he is the symbol of the state.?

It is known that Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Michiko were inoculated in June.

Tokyo has just declared another state of emergency, its fourth, due to the upsurge in coronavirus cases. The Olympics are due to start in Japan in just a couple of weeks; the Opening Ceremony is set for 23 July.

The Emperor of Japan, 61, was said to be concerned about the Olympic Games at the end of last month.

The Emperor is ?extremely worried? that the Olympics and Paralympics will result in the further spread of the COVID-19 virus. In a press conference this week, the Grand Steward of the Imperial Household Agency, Yasuhiko Nishimura, said that Naruhito had expressed his concern over the games.

Amabel2

Why is it that some places, the Royal families very old members are only getting vaccinated now?  I can understand that they dont want to be seen jumping the queue but it seems like it is taking a long time for quite elderly people to be done... in some places

wannable

I think this is an isolated case of overthinking decisions, decisions, decisions.

Japan is top 10 worldwide.

Amabel2

Quote from: wannable on July 09, 2021, 01:51:34 PM
I think this is an isolated case of overthinking decisions, decisions, decisions.

Japan is top 10 worldwide.
Top 10 at what?  In the UK.. people of the older royals' age were vaccinated ages ago.. and I think in the US too... 

wannable

Amabel2

so how come the Imperial family elders who are what 70 at least, have only just been done?

wannable

As I said, I think it is an ''isolated'' royals overthinking decisions, decisions, decisions. 

Curryong

I think the Imperial Japanese House Agency, the group of extremely conservative courtiers come civil servants that oversee the Imperial Family?s doings, were probably in charge of this decision as they are with virtually everything else to do with their lives.

As for the Tokyo Olympics, it?s going ahead but not exactly sparking on all cylinders. This Olympics will be one to remember but not exactly in a good sense.

wannable

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on July 09, 2021, 02:32:07 PM
I think the Imperial Japanese House Agency, the group of extremely conservative courtiers come civil servants that oversee the Imperial Family?s doings, were probably in charge of this decision as they are with virtually everything else to do with their lives.

As for the Tokyo Olympics, it?s going ahead but not exactly sparking on all cylinders. This Olympics will be one to remember but not exactly in a good sense.
I am saddened for those fans who will not be able to watch the athletes. Likewise the athletes will not have the support of the crowds which IMO does impact their performances.

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on July 09, 2021, 02:32:07 PM

so are Japanese people of 70 odd vaccinated.  Sorry I dont know how old the older Imperials are.. but I assumed that Japan would have done its 70 plus poeple by now.  And it seems unfair to leave the older royals unvaccinated if they are of the legal age to be done.