Camilla to join Prince Charles in Australia for Commonwealth Games

Started by Kritter, February 20, 2018, 03:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

Camilla to join Prince Charles in Australia for Commonwealth Games | London Evening Standard

QuoteThe Duchess of Cornwall will now be joining the Prince of Wales for the opening of the Commonwealth Games in Australia.

Clarence House today confirmed Camilla will accompany Charles to the ceremony for the Gold Coast Games in April.

The Duchess, who had not been expected to join her husband for the long-haul trip, has had a change of heart given the importance of the visit Down Under.

She will accompany him for the first part of the tour after the opening ceremony before returning home ahead of him.

sara8150

Will Prince Charles miss the arrival of Prince William and Kate's baby?
Prince Charles could miss the arrival of Prince William and Kate Middleton's baby
I don?t know what Kate?s baby due date will be and wait till reveal date and her labor date will be?!?

Kritter

Royal news: Camilla's mission to make Charles head of Commonwealth | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuoteTHE Duchess of Cornwall changed her mind and decided to accompany Prince Charles on a diplomatic charm offensive to Australia after his role as the future head of the Commonwealth was called into question.

An aide said Camilla, 70, had not intended to visit the Gold Coast for the Commonwealth Games but ?had a change of heart?.

She will travel to Brisbane with her husband, overcoming her fear of flying, and spend four days Down Under.

She will arrive after the Opening Ceremony on April 4 and leave before the heir to the throne concludes the week-long tour in Queensland and the Northern Territory.

The source said: ?It was her decision. It?s not as if she?s being frogmarched there. She just felt it is a really important gig.

?It?s one hell of a journey for a very short space of time but the Duchess loves Australia and the people so she is really looking forward to it, even though she doesn?t relish the flying.?

royalanthropologist

Well, if your husband is campaigning for a job it would be disloyal not to help him in any way you can.  I hear Camilla hates flying so it is a somewhat onerous decision for her when she could be putting her feet up at Raymill. Glad she realizes the importance of not letting the Commonwealth drift because that is always the gap that Republicans are always looking for.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Kritter

The Prince of Wales to visit Vanuatu during his Commonwealth tour in April ? Royal Central

QuoteClarence House has announced that the Prince of Wales will visit Vanuatu on Saturday 7th April as part of his Commonwealth Games tour.

Prince Charles is visiting Australia for the Commonwealth Games alongside his wife, the Duchess of Cornwall.

However, he will travel alone to Vanuatu after the Duchess leaves for a one-day visit.

Duch_Luver_4ever

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

sara8150

Duchess of Cornwall refuses to travel to Australia with Prince Charles as part of a royal tour because the trip is too ?gruelling?
Duchess of Cornwall won't travel to Australia with husband | Daily Mail Online

Kritter

That article makes sense. That is why Charles seems disgusted & angry. Camilla is turning back into Duchess Dolittle. She only wants to put notices in the papers saying she supports this & that bit do nothing much.

She knew these tours were part of the job she connived & manipulated to get so should just do it.

sara8150

Kritter

Well if it isn't a snub then she can't stand being with her husband more than a day or two. What a shame!!!!

Duch_Luver_4ever

Camilla: Duchess of Cornwall PULLS OUT of Australia trip with Prince Charles | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

On the one hand I can sympathize with someone having a fear of something, however, she wanted "the job" as they say, and thats part of it. What's she going to do when/if he's king?

Maybe they'll rebuild Britannia for her....

Seems shes finding Diana's shoes to fill not as comfortable as she thought.  :lol:

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Kritter

Prince Charles to visit remote island where Prince Philip is GOD | Daily Mail Online

QuoteHe is used to receiving a warm welcome wherever he goes in the world.

But none quite like the one he is he set to experience when he visits the remote Pacific archipelago of Vanuatu next month.

For Prince Charles is to be welcomed with open arms and given a ?special communication? to take home to London for his father, Prince Philip, who is, bizarrely, worshipped there as a ?god?.

Curryong

Vanuatu is beautiful, and a popular tourist destination for Australians. Apart from their funny little liking for Prince Philip the population is lovely!

Duch_Luver_4ever

Home of the cargo cults post WW2 (fascinating story and an insight to human behavior)

Kritter

Prince Charles declines ARM speech offer | Newcastle Herald

QuotePrince Charles has declined a cheeky invitation from the Australian Republic Movement to discuss why he should be the next Australian head of state.

The Prince of Wales will arrive Down Under next month to attend the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

ARM chair Peter Fitzsimons wrote to Prince Charles in December, inviting him to "address a friendly and respectful audience with complete candour and sincerity".

"We would be delighted to host Your Royal Highness for an address, at any convenient time during the coming visit, on why you, and not an Australian, should be Australia's next head of state," Mr Fitzsimons wrote.

Mike

Prince Charles, Camilla land in Australia for key visit | Fox News

QuoteFor the first time in Australian history, both the prime minister and the opposition leader agree that the British monarch should be replaced by an Australian citizen as the Australian head of state.
This is interesting.  When Charles assumes the throne, who will decide whether or not he becomes Monarch of Australia, if that's the correct title?
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

Curryong

The situation will be as it is in Britain when one monarch dies and the throne goes to the heir in his/her turn. Therefore if Elizabeth died tomorrow Charles would automatically become King of Australia.

However, (and of course nobody knows when Elizabeth will die) there will be a referendum on the future of the monarchy in Aus held here in the next few years. The Opposition Leader Labor's Bill Shorten has promised one at the end of his first term. As PM Turnbull's government still has some time to run, that is likely to be around 2023, unless something unexpected happens, as it sometimes does in politics. Mr Turnbull has stated that no referendum will occur under his watch until after the Queen's death.

dianab

One is not amused! Hilarious moment a disinterested Camilla flicks through a magazine as she's officially welcomed at the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony
-Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, appeared bored throughout opening ceremony
-She was snapped flicking through a Games program as the event took place
-Camilla also appeared to ignore an official welcome for her and Prince Charles
By Ben Hill For Daily Mail Australia

PUBLISHED: 16:56 BST, 4 April 2018 | UPDATED: 17:38 BST, 4 April 2018

It was supposed to be the spectacular event which sparked an exciting two weeks of intense competition - but even the guests of honor appeared bored by the proceedings.

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, has been criticised for her seemingly disinterested attitude towards the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games at Carrara Stadium on the Gold Coast.

During the broadcast of Wednesday evening's ceremony the 70-year-old Royal appeared bored during the show.

Read more: Camilla appears bored throughout Commonwealth Games opening ceremony | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Double post auto-merged: April 04, 2018, 08:17:15 PM

Duchess of Cornwall looks bored during Commonwealth Games ceremony
One is not amused! Duchess of Cornwall appears bored during Commonwealth Games ceremony, flicking through magazine and ignoring official introductions.

Video: Duchess of Cornwall looks bored during Commonwealth Games ceremony | Daily Mail Online

the video is hilarious!

this comment sums up a lot IMO

Grandpa93, Annapolis-Wandsworth, United States, 8 minutes ago

Camilla never wanted to be Queen or in the public eye. She was happy being the mistress behind the scenes. All Charlie had to do was put a few million pounds in a bank account for Millie--insure her future comfort--and that would have been fine with Millie. She would only have had to see him a couple of times a week, she could live at Ray Mill House, and do what ever she wanted. Charles didn't need a wife to be King. Camilla wasn't going anywhere if he didn't marry her. Now Camilla has to play a role she never wanted---Charles will outlive her.

Read more: Camilla appears bored throughout Commonwealth Games opening ceremony | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

sandy

The thing is Camilla was not happy behind the scenes. She was infuriated at the Van Cutsem's when she was not allowed to sit with Charles at the Van Custem's son's wedding. She wanted what Diana had. Plus Charles named her publicly.

TLLK

QuoteOne is not amused! Hilarious moment a disinterested Camilla flicks through a magazine as she's officially welcomed at the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony
-Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, appeared bored throughout opening ceremony
-She was snapped flicking through a Games program as the event took place
-Camilla also appeared to ignore an official welcome for her and Prince Charles
By Ben Hill For Daily Mail Australia

Odd that the DM says it's a magazine in one sentence and then calls it a Games program in another.  :unsure: If she's looking through the official program, she doesn't appear to be bored IMO. If anything she's reading the information about the Opening Ceremony.

sandy

Curryong

I'm sorry to say this as a person who is proud of Australia and its membership of the Commonwealth, but IMO Camilla looked uninterested at the opening ceremony last night. (I watched it live and it was great.) A lot of the time she just flicked through her programme or just appeared bored.

Charles seemed a bit flat too tbh but I ascribed that to perhaps some worry about his father (excellent news about that today btw,) and the bad publicity of the recent Bower book, which may have got him down. Camilla may have felt ill or something, I don't know, but people here aren't impressed by her demeanour. Even my husband noticed and he's very unobservant about that sort of thing. He just said 'What's the matter with them?'

sandy

It reminded me of photos of Charles and Diana in Korea. Maybe they are having some issues.

Izabella

BlueEyes, Austin London, 4 hours ago
She needs spackle to fill the cracks on her face!

:lol:

royalanthropologist

Ha ha. You guys are hilarious. You mean she should have shoved the program in her handbag and forgotten about it? Or grinned throughout the ceremony just in case someone caught her looking serious?  Then this desperate desire to recreate the 1990s. Can we expect that Camilla is about to write a book and go on television about how "my life is torture"? :teehee: :lol: Seriously you guys. Camilla has been Charles companion and lover practically since 1974. I doubt that some 45 years later, she is going to throw a strop. That is for silly girls, not a 70-year old pragmatic woman. Even if there are problems (I highly doubt there are any serious ones), the press will never hear about it.

BTW I enjoyed the opening ceremony and thought it was well done.

Ha ha ha old woman needs the Spackle to fill the cracks on her face. That is so funny, never thought of it like that before.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace