New RIF Feature Released

Started by Jenee, September 13, 2014, 02:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenee

New feature announcement:

A lot of us mention other members in our posts already, but now it will actually do something - make a twitter style mention of another member in your post, and that member will be notified, and the mention logged in their profile for 2 weeks.

You can choose to turn on email notifications of all your mentions (this is off by default for all current members, so members don't get email unless they choose to!). Do this by clicking on Profile > Mentions - then check the box for email notifications.

Try it out!! @PrincessOfPeace @Windsor @tiaras @Lady Adams
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Lady Adams

^ This is great!! I love this feature.

Thanks for installing, Jen!
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Macrobug

Thanks Jenee!   But it doesn't seem to be working for me.  Canuck  Lothwen   Adrienne  SophieChloe   

@TLLK

OK so do I have to type @ before the name?  Or does the forum automatically do it if the name is typed in.  Above I typed in the @ before TLLK and her name popped up in blue and I clicked on it. 
GNU Terry Pratchett

tiaras

This is so cute :)  :thanks: for installing jen .

Jenee

Yes you have to use the @ symbol. It's based off how twitter works.

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

HereditaryPrincess

This is cool! :nod: I'll be sure to try out this new feature. I have a quick question though - if a member refers to another member as their nickname, would it still be able to show up in Twitter format? For example, if someone was responding to one of my posts and said @HP instead of @HereditaryPrincess, would people still be able to view my profile from the @ link?

Limabeany

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: This is so cool! @Jenee  :yesss: :happy20:
Quote from: Jenee on September 13, 2014, 02:38:08 AM
New feature announcement:

A lot of us mention other members in our posts already, but now it will actually do something - make a twitter style mention of another member in your post, and that member will be notified, and the mention logged in their profile for 2 weeks.

You can choose to turn on email notifications of all your mentions (this is off by default for all current members, so members don't get email unless they choose to!). Do this by clicking on Profile > Mentions - then check the box for email notifications.

Try it out!! @PrincessOfPeace @Windsor @tiaras @Lady Adams
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

SophieChloe

I like it.  Thanks, Jen!

Quote from: HereditaryPrincess on September 14, 2014, 03:25:03 PM
This is cool! :nod: I'll be sure to try out this new feature. I have a quick question though - if a member refers to another member as their nickname, would it still be able to show up in Twitter format? For example, if someone was responding to one of my posts and said @HP instead of @HereditaryPrincess, would people still be able to view my profile from the @ link?
I thought the same.  I doubt it.  It's still a lovely feature though  :thumbsup:.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Jenee

No it finds the member by their username, so you'd have to use the whole thing.

cinrit

If there is a number behind "Profile" (up top), does that indicate people have looked at your profile via the @ symbol?

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

HereditaryPrincess

Quote from: Jenee on September 15, 2014, 12:54:45 AM
No it finds the member by their username, so you'd have to use the whole thing.

OK, thanks for clarifying @Jenee (just trying out the new feature :thumbsup:). I wasn't intending on using nicknames all the time, I was just wondering what would happen if I did use a nickname.

Jenee

@cinrit that's the number of unread mentions you have. Click your profile and you will see a new menu item called mentions where they are all listed.

Blue Clover

cinrit

Quote from: Jenee on September 16, 2014, 02:33:34 AM
@cinrit that's the number of unread mentions you have. Click your profile and you will see a new menu item called mentions where they are all listed. 

Ah, thanks, @Jenee.  So it's how many times you've been mentioned, not how many have checked the profile. 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Jenee

Yeah like when you get a new PM and you have a number on the menu bar until you read it. Same basic concept

Windsor

Great feature! Thank you for working on this @Jenee