The Queen Mother's brother - a desperately poignant letter from the WWI trench

Started by snokitty, April 19, 2015, 01:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

Give my love to Elizabeth: The Queen Mother's brother - and a desperately poignant letter from the WWI trenches weeks before he died   | Daily Mail
A moving letter sent from the trenches of the First World War by the Queen Mother's brother is to go on show for the first time.

The note home, penned by Fergus Bowes-Lyon on May 27, 1915, reveals how much he is missing his family, including his younger sister Elizabeth. It also describes the constant risk of artillery fire and gas attacks.

Now, in time for the centenary of his death, the letter – as well as a previously unseen picture of Fergus with the young Queen Mother – is to feature in an exhibition of family mementoes at the Castle of Mey, her beloved home in the far north of Scotland.

Fergus married his sweetheart, Lady Christina Norah Dawson-Damer, daughter of the 5th Earl of Portarlington, in 1914, just two weeks after the outbreak of the war. A few months later he left behind his pregnant wife to fight the Germans in France.

At the family home in Glamis, near Angus, he also left behind his sisters Elizabeth and Rosie and brother David. His brothers, John, Michael and Patrick, were already serving in France.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

Curryong

Quote from: snokitty on April 19, 2015, 01:32:46 AM
Give my love to Elizabeth: The Queen Mother's brother - and a desperately poignant letter from the WWI trenches weeks before he died   | Daily Mail
A moving letter sent from the trenches of the First World War by the Queen Mother's brother is to go on show for the first time.

The note home, penned by Fergus Bowes-Lyon on May 27, 1915, reveals how much he is missing his family, including his younger sister Elizabeth. It also describes the constant risk of artillery fire and gas attacks.

Now, in time for the centenary of his death, the letter – as well as a previously unseen picture of Fergus with the young Queen Mother – is to feature in an exhibition of family mementoes at the Castle of Mey, her beloved home in the far north of Scotland.

Fergus married his sweetheart, Lady Christina Norah Dawson-Damer, daughter of the 5th Earl of Portarlington, in 1914, just two weeks after the outbreak of the war. A few months later he left behind his pregnant wife to fight the Germans in France.

At the family home in Glamis, near Angus, he also left behind his sisters Elizabeth and Rosie and brother David. His brothers, John, Michael and Patrick, were already serving in France.

The First World War was a totally unnecessary war and all those men who never came home again to their families and loved ones makes it all desperately sad.