2015 Engagement List for Will, Kate, and Harry

Started by Canuck, February 01, 2015, 03:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

Since TLLK is no longer allowed to post engagement tallies from outside sources, I thought it would be helpful to keep a running list of all Royal engagements done by Will, Kate, and Harry (the Royals who garner the most discussion on this topic).

My criteria is simple:  it must be an engagement on behalf of the BRF (outside work will not be included).  I'll be working off the Court Circular (both online and where I can find details about the paper copy, as the former is never fully complete).  I will also include things that appear to be in a Royal capacity but that the BRF did not deem an official engagement (such as private visits), but I will asterisk those so the distinction is clear.

Beyond that, I'm not making any judgments; I'll list out each engagement separately and then people can make their own counts using whatever criteria they want (not counting airport arrivals/departures, counting days worked instead of engagements, multiplying Harry's count by three and dividing Kate's by two, etc.).

I'll update once or twice a month so as not to have a million posts here every time one of them goes to something.  I'm sure I'll miss some since the online CC is so patchy, so please let me know if I do.

The list so far:

Will
None

Kate
January 15: Clore Art Room opening
January 16: Fostering Network visit
January 19: Family Friends coffee
January 19: Kensington Aldridge Academy visit
January 19: Kensington Leisure Centre opening

Harry
*January 9: signed book of condolence for Charlie Hebdo
January 14: Coach Core graduation session
February 1: RFU injured players training session

TLLK

Thank you for providing us with an accurate account of the trio's engagements. Everything you have listed coordinates with the CC and thank you for noting Harry's French Embassy visit even though it did not register with the CC.

In All I Do

@Canuck Thanks very much!

Worth noting that this morning he spent about an hour at Twickenham Rugby Stadium to attend a London marathon training day. Kensington Palace on Twitter: "Prince Harry meets members of the #charitiesforum at the #LondonMarathon training day http://t.co/EMDutDRXd8"

Too soon to know if it'll be on the CC or not.

Canuck

Adrienne, was that a different event than the RFU (Rugby foundation) training that happened today?  I thought they were the same event.

In All I Do

No, you're right. I was originally misreading the RFU event as the 29Jan events. :)

Macrobug

You stated that arrivals and departures will not be included.  Will you make an exception for when the arrival is an official one - such as the arrival in New Zealand where there were officials there that greeted W&K?  Those events did take some time and were obviously important to the country they were visiting.

I agree that the entries on the CC that "X arrived back to Britain etc etc " aren't engagements.  It is just a notation on the CC.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Canuck

Actually, I'm planning to include all of the things in the CC, including the arrival/departure notes.  People can then make their own counts and decide for themselves which, if any, of those things they want to include.

Macrobug

:thumbsup:

Thanks Canuck.  You are a doll. :hug:
GNU Terry Pratchett

cinrit

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Canuck

Perhaps you've missed the point of this one.  I'm listing everything the BRF considers to be Royal work (and also listing, with an asterisk, anything that appears to be Royal work but that the BRF did not count).  People then have complete, accurate information about the total possible universe of Royal work done by the trio, and can use it to make their own determinations as to how much of the BRF's definition of Royal work they agree should be counted.  I personally find that a lot more informative than a list that has been pre-selected in accordance with one poster's views.

HistoryGirl

Good job, @Canuck. I appreciate it since I rarely keep track of the actual numbers.

Curryong

Thanks for this, Canuck. It will be interesting to look through as a whole at the end of the year, too.

Double post auto-merged: February 01, 2015, 08:02:01 PM

Just as a suggestion, perhaps the list could be placed under January, February etc? It might be easier that way to total it up when it gets to December.

Canuck

I like that suggestion, Curryong.  When I do an update later this month, I'll split the engagements by month to make them easier to count.

TLLK

Thank you Canuck for doing that as I agree it will be easier to read the facts that way.

Canuck

We're about halfway through the month, so I thought this would be a good time for an update.

A couple of notes:

• I added Harry's meeting with the ice cap challenge team back in January.  I can't tell whether that was Royal work or army work (it's supported by the Royal Foundation and the KP twitter account tweeted the photo as part of a larger series on Royal support for expeditions, but it doesn't appear in the CC/wasn't announced like other Royal work and it happened at Whitehall where Harry's army job is), but I figured I'd stick it on the list and people can count it or not as they like
  • Kate's meeting on palliative care this week isn't in the online CC so I've also asterisked that for now.  But since that meeting *was* announced by KP, that may just be one of the online CC's many glitches -- if it shows up later or someone finds it in the print CC, I'll change it
  • the CC is actually listing 3 engagements for Kate yesterday:  she first made a private visit to the current Ben Ainslie facility (no media because they were actually showing her their racing technology, which obviously they don't want their competitors to get wind of), then the visit to the building site of the new facility (where she painted and talked to the student artists and construction workers), and finally the reception in the Spinnaker tower (where she met with community leaders and students/teachers at a local college).  From what I can see those are all separate venues (the first is several towns away, the second two are both in the port but she needed to be driven between them) with separate participants, so I've gone with the separate listing the CC has

The updated list:

JANUARY

Will
None

Kate
January 15: Clore Art Room opening
January 16: Fostering Network visit
January 19: Family Friends coffee
January 19: Kensington Aldridge Academy visit
January 19: Kensington Leisure Centre opening

Harry
*January 9: signed book of condolence for Charlie Hebdo
January 14: Coach Core graduation session
*January 23: met with 65 Degrees North (ice cap challenge team)

FEBRUARY

Will
None

Kate
February 10: Bethlem and Maudsley school visit (not open to media)
*February 11: KP reception for Palliative Care Programme for Children and Young People
February 12: visit to Ben Ainslie Racing Office in Whiteley (not open to media)
February 12: visit to site of new Ben Ainslie Racing Base Headquarters
February 12: reception for 1851 Trust at Spinnaker Tower

Harry
February 1: RFU injured players training session
February 3: visit to Full Effect program

Curryong

That's excellent, Canuck. Very good work! :thumbsup:
I wonder when we'll see William begin his royal engagements for 2015? In March?

Canuck

Good question.  He's done some non-engagement stuff (the piece he wrote for Holocaust Memorial Day, the video tribute at the BAFTAs), but since the public/press really focus on engagements as the measure of Royal work I'm surprised he hasn't done one or two just to keep himself out there.  I've seen a few reporters mentioning it on twitter recently, so I'd guess we'll see him at something in the next couple of weeks.

TLLK

Thank you Canuck for keeping us updated on the trio's engagements. I have to wonder if William is just trying to cram in exams before the China/Japan Tour and baby Cambridge's debut?

Canuck

I'm sure he is, but given the optics of taking time off for vacation, I think making time for one or two engagements would be advisable at this point.

Macrobug

Quote from: Canuck on February 13, 2015, 08:59:06 PM
I'm sure he is, but given the optics of taking time off for vacation, I think making time for one or two engagements would be advisable at this point.

I kinda agree with you.  But KP has told us what he would be doing at this time so it isn't surprising to me that we aren't seeing him.  But maybe just one or two might not be a bad idea.

Thanks for doing this!  I like the idea of just listing the events.  That gives us a neutral record of activities and allows everyone to determine their own count.

Personally, I am giving Wills one event for the pre recorded message.  Something like that does take some time to plan, organize and record.  And it was done for one of his charities.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Limabeany

Quote from: SophieChloe on February 13, 2015, 09:37:47 PM
Makes me wonder where the hell he has been - apart from Mustique. Kate is back to doing something and him? 

He always been lazy (IMO)  I'm not surprised in the least that we have not seen him for weeks on end.
He has been on his second gap year since September or studying for his pilot gig as he calls it.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

Quote from: Canuck on February 13, 2015, 08:59:06 PM
I agree. Hopefully one is scheduled before he departs to China.

Canuck

As I explained, I'm making a complete list of all possible Royal engagements, and people can apply whatever criteria they like to reach their own count.  If, in counting engagements (rather than using days worked or some other metric), you get a similar number to the CC, that's your business -- though it would hardly be surprising, since the CC endeavors to list all the engagements the Royals do.

amabel

Do you really need to do all that Canuck?  I mean as logn as they're doing some work, why do you/people need to itemize every handshake etc?

Macrobug

I agree to a degree Amabel.  But as long as people want to see quantitative evidence of work, they will need to itemize the events.  The RF aren't using this in an official capacity, nor is the government.  It is only for royal watchers.

It is an on going discussion that will continue to be debated.  People want to compare the royals to one another so it is lovely of Canuck to do this.  And as she has said - each person can interpret the lists as they wish.
GNU Terry Pratchett