Prince Charles unveils statue of his grandmother, The Queen Mother

Started by Jennifer, October 27, 2016, 02:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

A statue of The Queen Mother has been unveiled by Prince Charles and The Queen.

The bronze statue, which is 9ft and 6in tall now stands in the square of the new area at the edge of Dorchester in the new Poundbury development. The square itself is named after The Queen Mother
Embed from Getty Images

It was created by celebrated sculptor Philip Jackson who often acts as the Royal Sculptor. He has previously done works on the statues of King George VI as well as Queen Elizabeth II. Jackson, who met The Queen Mother has previously said that she was a "great spirit". And that "When you look at the photographs and the footage, you seldom catch her without a smile on her face – it was so obvious that she had the spark of life in her."

Read more:
Prince Charles unveils statue of his grandmother, The Queen Mother – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

sandy

I think Charles would like a huge statue of himself put up. It's only a matter of time...

TLLK

Quote from: Jennifer on October 27, 2016, 02:14:02 PM

A statue of The Queen Mother has been unveiled by Prince Charles and The Queen.

The bronze statue, which is 9ft and 6in tall now stands in the square of the new area at the edge of Dorchester in the new Poundbury development. The square itself is named after The Queen Mother
Embed from Getty Images

It was created by celebrated sculptor Philip Jackson who often acts as the Royal Sculptor. He has previously done works on the statues of King George VI as well as Queen Elizabeth II. Jackson, who met The Queen Mother has previously said that she was a "great spirit". And that "When you look at the photographs and the footage, you seldom catch her without a smile on her face – it was so obvious that she had the spark of life in her."

Read more:
Prince Charles unveils statue of his grandmother, The Queen Mother – Royal Central
I thought that the statue looked familiar when I saw the photo. I agree that it really does capture the spirit of the lady that Hitler dubbed the "most dangerous woman in Europe."

Jennifer

I think Prince Charles will probably get his statue put up once he is King. He likes being important.
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

sandy

Maybe he can't wait, and will commission one for himself right away.

TLLK

Quote from: Jennifer on October 28, 2016, 12:58:11 PM
I think Prince Charles will probably get his statue put up once he is King. He likes being important.
And if his reign ends before one is created then I do believe that his sons will ensure that one is commissioned. Though IMHO no one can top scale and grandeur of Queen Victoria's statue in front of BP. Victoria has dozens of statues around the UK and throughout the former empire/present Commonwealth.

George VI's statue was unveiled in 1955 after his death by his daughter QEII. So if Charles' reign is a short one, he might not have a statue cast during his lifetime.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Shame that he never bothered to unveil a statue of his departed wife  :no: if only for his kids & subjects if not for him. It would be a sad day if W&H dont have one made of their mum before Charles.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

sandy

Charles sits back and watches his sympathizers do the dirty work bashing his wife. HE even thought it appropriate that Camilla attend Diana's Memorial Service. I think it would be a farce for Charles to show up to unveil a statue of his late ex wife. He divorced her so she was not his wife when she died. It should be up to her sons.

Double post auto-merged: October 29, 2016, 11:11:20 AM

Quote from: TLLK on October 28, 2016, 09:36:11 PM
Quote from: Jennifer on October 28, 2016, 12:58:11 PM
And if his reign ends before one is created then I do believe that his sons will ensure that one is commissioned. Though IMHO no one can top scale and grandeur of Queen Victoria's statue in front of BP. Victoria has dozens of statues around the UK and throughout the former empire/present Commonwealth.

George VI's statue was unveiled in 1955 after his death by his daughter QEII. So if Charles' reign is a short one, he might not have a statue cast during his lifetime.

Charles does as he pleases. If he wants a statue of himself he'll have one.

TLLK

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on October 29, 2016, 06:17:22 AM
Shame that he never bothered to unveil a statue of his departed wife  :no: if only for his kids & subjects if not for him. It would be a sad day if W&H dont have one made of their mum before Charles.
@Duch_Luver_4ever - I don't want to take us too off topic, but was a statue of Diana ever commissioned by anyone other than Mohammed Al Fayed? I'd read about the memorials at Harrods, Althorp, the fountain in Hyde Park and the bench at the pre-school, but do you know of any other permanent memorials to her?

Here's the link to the Hyde Park fountain  which  HM QEII opened in 2004.
https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/hyde-park/things-to-see-and-do/memorials,-fountains-and-statues/diana-memorial-fountain

As for William and Harry here is a link to the garden they have planned to honor their mother. While I have not seen any plans, I wouldn't be surprised if the garden/exhibit will feature some permanent monument to her. (Having known Diana's tastes, I think that the pair will commission something that she'd approve of aesthetically.) The garden will be at Kensington Palace. The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry has also taken over the mismanaged charity that was set up after her death in 1997. New Princess Diana memorial garden to be created by William and Harry to mark 20th anniversary - Mirror Online

Duch_Luver_4ever

No problem, @TLLK  to my knowledge no other statues have been commissioned so far, although ive seen a couple other ones, one was not very good, but the other by a russian artist was not too bad. In the past ive said that previous attempts to get her image recorded by drawing/painting/statue/wax figure have usually not been a good likeness, theres just a certain something about her that doesnt seem to captured in them that seeing her in person, or video/photos captures. :flower:

Thanks for the links, ive seen those before, while somethings better than nothing, i've always felt the past memorials tend to be more to general,diffuse ones that have her name attached, but do little to remember her as a person.

Im excited to see what the boys will do next year with the garden, she used to spend time in the KP garden, as it was one of the few places she could sit outside with a lens pointed at her.

Im sure theres lots of different pictures ppl would like to see used as a statue for her, I've always liked this one, LadyDianaSpencer-1980-1981176.jpg Photo by dawngallick | Photobucket yes I know the kids arent William and Harry, but its a lovely image of the promise of what she came to be, her love of children, etc. Also im assuming as far as making a statue, it would be easier cause its not her standing, etc. It would look really nice outside the Young England Kindergarten, I was on their website recently and was a bit sad there was no mention of their most famous employee on it.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

I'd be curious to see them as well @Duch_Luver_4ever. Harry seems to have inherited an interest in gardening and landscape architecture now that he's had a Sentebale garden at the Chelsea Flower Show so he might have someone in mind to help with the layout. I believe that it is  possible that the brothers will take inspiration from the garden their mother enjoyed while living at KP.

Now this is just my own opinion, but I think Diana would have privately laughed off the idea of a statue of herself. Though of course she likely knew that one might have been in the future considering she had a fair number of portraits done in gala and casual settings.  Somehow I see her making self-deprecating remarks about the sculptor replicating her nose. :P

Duch_Luver_4ever

Yes he does, I wonder if old flame George Plimptre(sp?) will assist?? I often wish some of those old friends would do a book like Mary Robertsons, not a sordid tell all but just a loving portrait of the little things she enjoyed, what she was like on a date before all the fame, etc. & what their thoughts were and how it was knowing they had dated at one time a future queen of england.

I agree @TLLK shed have probably laughed off a statue of herself as well, some of her portraits are better than others, I was right Pi$$ed that nutter wrecked that casual one of her, I believe it was one of the first ones done of her.

I remember her not appreciating them using the calipers on her nose when they had to measure her in a bodystocking for her wax statue, she was never a fan of her nose, a shame cause while it may not be the california plastic surgeon ideal one, she was a masterpiece from tip to toes.