Duchess of Cornwall Poses for Picture on Admirer's Knee

Started by cinrit, July 24, 2014, 10:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteGetting a "selfie" with a member of the Royal family is old hat, it seems. In Scotland, at least, the challenge is to get a picture of the Duchess of Cornwall sitting on your knee.

The Duchess gamely agreed to sit on a thigh proferred by Anthony Laing, 59, managing director of Shortbread House of Edinburgh, on an official visit to the company's factory on Tuesday.

It was the second time she had posed in the same position, following a picture taken of her on the knee of Capt Ceri Green during a visit to the Highlands in 2011.

More: Duchess of Cornwall poses for picture on admirer's knee - Telegraph

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

Adorable!  :blowkiss: She is so no-nonsense in her charity visits!  :clap:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Canuck

I agree, very cute.   :Jen:

As a side note, I wish that journalists would stop misusing the word "selfie".  It means a picture you take of yourself.  They seem to apply it to any picture featuring a person, which is... pretty much all pictures.   :mad7:

Macrobug

I am liking Camilla more and more.  I have a feeling that she would be someone you could knock back a tipple or two and laugh your head off with.  I bet she knows a few dirty jokes.
GNU Terry Pratchett

sandy

I don't care for her and don't see anything fun about her  And she is not George's grandmother (as this article calls her) but his step grandmother she has 5 grandchildren of her own. She probably enjoys Joan Rivers' Diana jokes. She is enjoying every minute of the perks and privileges and occasionally pays her dues by associating with the public. I'm not buying into the spin.  Since she is going to be Queen Consort I don't see it as appropriate for her to sit on anybody's knee and pose. She and Charles are trying too hard to play the loveable old codger (him) and his "fun" wife.

TLLK

Quote from: Limabeany on July 24, 2014, 10:45:10 AM
Adorable!  :blowkiss: She is so no-nonsense in her charity visits!  :clap:
Camilla is being overworked at this point and therefore I will volunteer as tribute for the shortbread tasting.  Please point me in the direction of the tasting room. All I ask for is some milk to help with my efforts. :wink:

TLLK

Quote from: Macrobug on July 24, 2014, 02:26:43 PM
I am liking Camilla more and more.  I have a feeling that she would be someone you could knock back a tipple or two and laugh your head off with.  I bet she knows a few dirty jokes.
She seems like one of the most likeable members of the BRF IMHO.

sandy

I don't see her in the least bit likeable considering how she got where she is today.  The royals can play at being normal or "cute" but they are not like the rest of us and can only play at being normal.. Camilla goes back to one of her expensive homes and takes all the perks and privileges.  As does Charles.  Just because she has an HRH and is dressed up I see her as the same manipulative Camilla. She is reaping the rewards and goodness had nothing to do with it.

TLLK

^^^Well this is the place where we all get a chance to agree or disagree.  :truce:

Canuck

Quote from: TLLK on July 24, 2014, 04:00:12 PM
Quote from: Macrobug on July 24, 2014, 02:26:43 PM
She seems like one of the most likeable members of the BRF IMHO.

Agreed.  The more I see of Camilla, the more I like her.

Trudie

Quote from: cinrit on July 24, 2014, 10:42:00 AM
QuoteGetting a "selfie" with a member of the Royal family is old hat, it seems. In Scotland, at least, the challenge is to get a picture of the Duchess of Cornwall sitting on your knee.

The Duchess gamely agreed to sit on a thigh proferred by Anthony Laing, 59, managing director of Shortbread House of Edinburgh, on an official visit to the company's factory on Tuesday.

It was the second time she had posed in the same position, following a picture taken of her on the knee of Capt Ceri Green during a visit to the Highlands in 2011.

More: Duchess of Cornwall poses for picture on admirer's knee - Telegraph

Cindy

Personally I think this is cheesy and cheap I would be willing to bet Queens Victoria, Alexandra, Mary and the Queen Mother are all rolling in their graves at the displays of this future Queen.

Lothwen

Or they would have done the exact same thing.....
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Sheridan

Very nice article,  it  put a smile on my face :)

Curryong

^^Yes, Trudie, I don't think HM would be overly impressed either and I certainly can't imagine her or any of the former queens doing that in their 50's and 60's. I'm not a prude but I do think it's a cheap look in an aim to be popular.

XeniaCasaraghi

Haha Camilla you skank. LoL JK. As the years go by I like her more and more. I appreciate the lady and how she carries herself. With that being said, they could have just gotten her a chair. Sitting on a knee for grown folks implies something.

sandy

Quote from: Curryong on July 24, 2014, 11:17:54 PM
^^Yes, Trudie, I don't think HM would be overly impressed either and I certainly can't imagine her or any of the former queens doing that in their 50's and 60's. I'm not a prude but I do think it's a cheap look in an aim to be popular.

Fergie got criticized some years ago:  while on a royal tour saying suggestively to a man in the audience "I'll see you later" Now Camilla's antics are "cute." What's wrong with this picture? Is it just Camilla that can get away with this sort of thing to "win over" the public?

Lothwen

^I think it has more to do with the fact that these days, with social media, it's harder for people to hide things about themselves.  It's not that people never did this type of thing before, it's that now we all know about it.
Harryite 12-005

TLLK

sandy

Quote from: Lothwen on July 25, 2014, 12:08:14 AM
^I think it has more to do with the fact that these days, with social media, it's harder for people to hide things about themselves.  It's not that people never did this type of thing before, it's that now we all know about it.

This was not a private moment with Camilla. It was part of a publicized tour she was having with Charles.  She was representing the Queen. Social media or not it was not appropriate.

Lothwen

Harryite 12-005

sandy

I am entitled to my opinion Lothwen. Same as you. It's a discussion board and do you expect everybody to just gush over Camilla? Some don't like her believe it or not.

As I said I don't think what she did was appropriate. The Queen Mum would never have agreed to that. Even Fun Loving Princess Margaret would have backed away from such a stunt.

Lothwen

No, I don't expect everyone to gush over Camilla.  Or any of them. 

But this seems to be an issue of this is what  Camilla does, and because it's Camilla doing it, it's automatically wrong, or inappropriate.
Harryite 12-005

sandy

I stand by my opinion. It was inappropriate. If she is future Queen Consort there is still some dignity that should go with the role.  I think Fergie would have been skewered if she did this as a royal--she got in trouble for the "I'll see you later" remark.  I am surprised at Charles --I wonder how he really felt about it.

Macrobug

I don't see it as being inappropriate.  A man made a simple request.  It obviously meant a lot to him and she, quite gracefully, accommodated him.  To me that is a kind person. 
She was sitting on his leg not giving him a lapdance. 
GNU Terry Pratchett

sandy

She could have said no.  But Posed with him without sitting on his lap. Charles may not have liked it.  the two should be friendly but not try to be 'cute.' That generally backfires with the royals.