Sandringham House

Started by LouisFerdinand, October 05, 2016, 12:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

King George VI liked Sandringham. He wrote to his mother, Queen Mary: 'I have always been so happy here, and I love the place.'

LouisFerdinand

When furnishing the library at Sandringham, Edward VII summoned a man from Hatchard's bookstore. Edward instructed him to fill the shelves with whatever books might be considered for a country house.   

:booknerd: :booknerd: :booknerd: :booknerd: :booknerd: :booknerd: :booknerd: :booknerd: :booknerd:

Curryong

That sounds like Bertie! What a book worm! Hatchards is a wonderful very old bookstore. I wonder what the staff thought? Still, it's a shade better than doing what some interior designers do even now, put in strips of false leather-bound spines of faux books to decorate shelves. I think it's all quite sad, really.

I don't think any of the modern BRF are great readers, apart from Charles, Camilla and maybe Philip. The Queen reads a lot of official documents of course, but it's quite telling really that her favourite authors are unknown.

TLLK

@Curryong-Would love to have a peek at their personal stash of books or at their tablets to see what they read for pleasure.

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

Yes, Hatchard's is a beautiful old place in which to spend a few quiet hours. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Charles and Camilla order books from this store.

LouisFerdinand

The Prince and Princess of Wales, Albert Edward and Alexandra, went to stay at Sandringham together for the first time the week after their return from their honeymoon, on March 28, 1864.

Curryong

I think they both quite liked Sandringham. Bertie enjoyed hosting shoots and houseparties there, and the flat countryside reminded Alex of her native Denmark.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on August 15, 2017, 03:03:29 AM
That sounds like Bertie! What a book worm! Hatchards is a wonderful very old bookstore. I wonder what the staff thought? Still, it's a shade better than doing what some interior designers do even now, put in strips of false leather-bound spines of faux books to decorate shelves. I think it's all quite sad, really.

I don't think any of the modern BRF are great readers, apart from Charles, Camilla and maybe Philip. The Queen reads a lot of official documents of course, but it's quite telling really that her favourite authors are unknown.
Dick Francis, isn't it?
I think Philip is a reader, he'sa lot more studious and intelligent than his public persona suggests.  And it appears that Camila whom I wouldn't have said was a reader, really IS...

LouisFerdinand

The dining room houses a collection of tapestries from Royal Spain presented to the Prince of Wales (Edward VII) in 1876 by King Alphonso XII of Spain.

TLLK

Royal Sandringham and ?Sandringham Time? ? Royal Central

Quote?Dear old Sandringham, the place I love better than anywhere else in the world?? were the words which King George V used to describe the Norfolk retreat, beloved by four generations of the British Royal Family since 1862; it was a sentiment echoed by his son, King George VI who himself wrote it turn: ?I have always been happy here and I love the place.