Princess Victoria of Wales

Started by snokitty, August 15, 2015, 08:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

The stories of Queen Victoria?s granddaughters: Princess Victoria of Wales
'No one has ever had a sister like her'. The words of King George V, written about a younger sibling known to her family as Toria, perhaps best sum up the life of one of the quietest of Queen Victoria's granddaughters. When she died many had almost forgotten about this rather lonely princess. Toria had been at the very heart of her her family but her devotion to her parents and siblings meant she herself never married or had children. Her story is perhaps the most Victorian of all the women who called the great Queen Empress 'grandmamma'.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

LouisFerdinand

One suitor of Princess Victoria was the Earl of Rosebery.   
His name was Archibald Philip Primrose. He was the Prime Minister between 1894 and 1895.

Curryong

Yes, Rosebery was a widower, wasn't he ? His first wife was a Rothschild. Queen Alexandra never wanted Victoria to marry and so she became a rather bitter spinster who liked reporting on the younger generation.

amabel

I wonder how likely it was that Rosebery was a suitor.  He was a widower, and there were rumours that he Had homosexual tendencies, and while Pss Louise had married a subject, the D of Argylle and Princess Lou of Wales also married a subject, I'm not sure if they would have been TOO Keen on another non royal in the family,,, esp a party politician.  But Vic was unhappy and bitter because Alix didn't allow her to marry

Curryong

^ It's always been a very strong rumour, as far as I've read. Rosebery was a rather enigmatic character wasn't he? It was said that his three ambitions as a young man were to win the Derby with one of his horses, marry the greatest heiress in England and become Prime Minister. He did all three but was strangely diffident as a PM and soon resigned. I don't know whether this was because of any looming scandal breaking out in the wake of Lord Drumlanrig's suicide. Queensbury's heir had been his Private Secretary and it was said that the 'mad Marquis' pursued Rosebery on his annual holiday to the south of France intending to do him some harm!

As far as Princess Victoria was concerned, Rosebery was a charming man and I believe she very much liked him. The Prince of Wales supposedly had some reservations as Rosebery was so prominent in Liberal Party circles. I suppose it would be a bit like Margaret marrying Alec Douglas Hume or one of the Cecils in the Conservative inner circles.

However, it was certainly Alexandra who wouldn't hear of it. A very selfish woman in many ways! Years ago I read that a friend reminisced about her and when Victoria mentioned Rosebery she would say 'And we could have been so happy!' with a little break in her voice. Quite sad really.

amabel

I don't know if it was all that likely to happen, really.  There was  the party politician aspect of his life that might have been a problem had he been married ot the Kings daughter.  IIRC Bertie had similar reservations about Princess Louise marrying the Marq of Lorne, who was a libera Peer...

but they should have arranged a marriage for Victoria- some minor German royal would do.  Agree that it was selfish of Alix to not want her daughter to marry...

Trudie

Yes he has reservations about Princess Louise and the Marquess of Lorne who became the Duke of Argyle however he must have softened his stance because His daughter Princess Louise married the Duke of Fife. So it could have happened amabel if not for Queen Alexandra.

LouisFerdinand

Princess Victoria collected autographs. In her autograph album were the signatures of Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany (her first cousin), Emperor Hirohito of Japan, and Woodrow Wilson.

amabel

what an exciting life the poor woman had

LouisFerdinand

King Carlos I of Portugal was a would-be suitor of Princess Victoria. Carlos' mother, Queen Maria Pia was expecting to marry Carlos to Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria, Princess Mathilde of Saxony, Princess Victoria of Prussia or Princess Victoria of Wales.

amabel

I Dont see how that could have happened, since he would be RC.  And I'm sure the Royal network knwe that Alexandra didn't want her daughter to get married, so ti was unlikely that she'd be allowed to wed.

LouisFerdinand

Princess Victoria also had the autographs of Emperor Hirohito of Japan and Lawrence of Arabia in her autograph collection.

LouisFerdinand

Princess Victoria would speak every morning on the telephone with her brother George V and address him as "you old fool".

Curryong

Yes, Victoria and George were great friends and allies all their lives. (However, it was well-known among friends and admirers of Queen Mary that among those who had condescended to her and made her life a misery for years, Victoria was a chief instigator.) George was very ill himself in late 1935 when his sister died and her death didn't help his own spirits rise. He was dead a month after her.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand