Duchess of Cornwall Poses for Picture on Admirer's Knee

Started by cinrit, July 24, 2014, 10:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Adams

Quote from: Curryong on July 24, 2014, 11:17:54 PM
^^Yes, Trudie, I don't think HM would be overly impressed either and I certainly can't imagine her or any of the former queens doing that in their 50's and 60's. I'm not a prude but I do think it's a cheap look in an aim to be popular.

Well, good thing Camilla's never going to be Queen.  ;) Because, quite frankly, I think this was funny and down-to-earth. Since she doesn't have to be held to the level of an HM, she gets the freedom, in my opinion, to do these things.  :angel:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

sandy

Isn't she going to be Queen Consort? Or did I miss something?

None of them are down to earth. They have perks, privileges and get taken away in limos after they visit the "common folk".  Though they may try they are not "down to earth."

For all we know Charles may have been ticked off at her antics. Charles I think does not try to be "down to earth" and like the "rest of us" like William does.

Lady Adams

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

sandy

I think she will be Queen Consort--no matter what was said at the time of the wedding.

Canuck

If Charles had an issue with it, that's between him and his wife.  I expect she knows better than any of us what is within the bounds of her marriage and what is not.

Maybe Queen Victoria wouldn't have sat on someone's knee.  Then again, social expectations have changed in the past 150 years.  Today, it's not a scandal or indication of anything improper if a married woman (who certainly isn't trying to hide her marital status) poses for a picture by perching on the knee of a (probably also married) man in a lighthearted moment.  Personally, I prefer that to living in a system where women's lives were ruined for talking to a man without a chaperone.  Camilla wasn't canoodling with someone in a dark corner, she was just being a good sport. 

Curryong

I don't think anybody's suggesting that we go back to the repressive days of the 19th century. I'm sure Camilla didn't mean any harm by it and neither did the man. From my own point of view I just thought it lacked a bit of dignity, that's all. I also think that Camilla will be Queen Consort.

sandy

Quote from: Canuck on July 25, 2014, 02:13:01 AM
If Charles had an issue with it, that's between him and his wife.  I expect she knows better than any of us what is within the bounds of her marriage and what is not.

Maybe Queen Victoria wouldn't have sat on someone's knee.  Then again, social expectations have changed in the past 150 years.  Today, it's not a scandal or indication of anything improper if a married woman (who certainly isn't trying to hide her marital status) poses for a picture by perching on the knee of a (probably also married) man in a lighthearted moment.  Personally, I prefer that to living in a system where women's lives were ruined for talking to a man without a chaperone.  Camilla wasn't canoodling with someone in a dark corner, she was just being a good sport. 

It's not about the bounds of marriage. But decorum. Fergie got heavily criticized for the "I'll see you later" remark--it was not "cheating" on Andrew, but she got criticized because it was considered "common" behavior or so the press said then.

This was something not done by royal women or royal men. I doubt Charles would sit on a young woman's knee at a public appearance in the spirit of "fun." He knows better.

Charles for all we know may have felt uncomfortable with it. Not because it hurt the marriage but because of decorum on a tour where they were representing the Queen.

Trudie

I totally agree with Sandy here. During her tour of L.A. Sarah was thanking her hosts and a man yelled out Fergie I love you and her remark off the cuff "I'll see you later" was totally criticized not in the Amercan press but in the British press and the palace according to her book My Story. Though going back to the present has any one seen HM, Princess Anne or Sophie Countess of Wessex doing something like this?. There is such a thing as decorum and respect for the position an no other current Crown Princess has even done something like this. I still think it was cheap and cheesy but IMO Camilla didn't get where she is today being moral and decent.

TLLK

^^^ Well that's not quite the case with all of Europe's royal families. You might want to check out the Dutch royal family during the past Queen's Day and now King's Day antics. I've seen dancing, jumping up to grab bites out of a cake, rollerblading, with Princess Beatrix, King W-A, Queen Maxima and all of the extended family engaging in all sorts of fun which might just skirt the decorum limits at times. It gets even rowdier at the Heineken sponsored Holland House every time the Dutch Olympians medal where the former Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima have been known to do the can can with their medalists. They have fun and the public seems to be unfazed.

When the family needs to put on their ceremonial or sober events then the behavior is IMHO perfectly regal.

sandy

well there was that infamous It's a Royal Knockout that got slammed by the critics. Charles even told Diana that she should not be part of it and she agreed. Edward had a hissy fit with the press when they criticized it. So "anything" does not always go with the British Royal Family.

TLLK

AFAIK the order regarding participation in "A Royal Knockout" came from those higher up than Charles. I am aware that Diana had wanted to participate. HM and the DoE were supportive of Edward's project but they were going to limit who could participate and limited the royal team captains to coaching, cheering and helping their team's strategies.

sandy

The royals had to dress up and were indeed active in the pageant (or whatever it was called)--Fergie dressed up like a medieval woman. They did not just coach and cheer. They were out there participating. This was Edward's idea and he got two of his siblings involved and his sister in law Fergie. There may have been other royals but these were th major ones.

TLLK

Ah you remember watching it too. :D Anne, Edward, Sarah and Andrew seemed to have a good time as I recall.

Trudie

Yes TLLK but the fact remains that the press slammed the young royals at the time for their undignified behavior.

TLLK

Oh I agree that they did Trudie, but I have to say that the media and the public's attitude toward members of the BRF participating in different activities today is much more relaxed. Charles can run under a parachute, his children and daughter-in-law take part in playing table tennis, volleyball, football etc..with young athletes and there is little or no issues. IMO this is part of Diana's effect upon the public and the BRF.

sandy

The royals always participated in sports. Princess Anne was involved in equestrian sports and years back Charles rode in horse races. Playing sports was never an issue.

Clowning around in It's A Royal Knockout was criticized.