Ask Windsor

Started by Orchid, May 09, 2014, 01:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchid

New thread. Queen Camilla's question has been carried over from the old thread for you, Windsor :thumbsup:

Quote from: Queen Camilla on May 07, 2014, 03:40:39 AM
Hi Windsor,

Where does the Queen & Prince Phiip stay when they visit Wales?

Thanks
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

angieuk

Ask Windsor

Is it fair to say?

Prince William's sons, and grandsons will be Princes.

Prince William daughters, Princesses but their sons NOT Princes??

Orchid

Windsor: re: the cost of monarchy.  Is there a definitive source which collates the total costs (domestically and internationally) for costs incurred by local authorities, the metropolitan police and international governments (re: clothing, security etc)?  Thanks.
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

Windsor

Hi Windsor,

Thanks

Apologies for the delay, I have been unwell for quite some time and was unable to give this thread much attention. I am now back, and recovered to full health.

The Queen rarely has the need to stay over night in Wales - as her visits to the region are normally done within a a period of 12 hours. However, when required the Royal Couple make arrangements to stay privately at Gatcombe Park with Princess Anne - the Estate is close to the Welsh border and has easy access to most of southern Wales. Alternative accommodation is at times provided by private hotels as well, but that is very rarely the case.

Windsor

Quote from: angieuk on May 10, 2014, 04:46:46 PM
Ask Windsor

Is it fair to say?

Prince William's sons, and grandsons will be Princes.

Prince William daughters, Princesses but their sons NOT Princes??

Yes, that would be correct. Just as we have today with the current Princess Royal and her children. Peter an Zara Phillips don't have Royal Titles because they are not entitled to them. This same rule would apply to the future children and grandchild of Prince William through the female line. Unless of course chages are made to how Royal titles can be created and passed down the generations.

Windsor

Quote from: Orchid on May 16, 2014, 01:26:21 PM
Windsor: re: the cost of monarchy.  Is there a definitive source which collates the total costs (domestically and internationally) for costs incurred by local authorities, the metropolitan police and international governments (re: clothing, security etc)?  Thanks.

Yes, the Royal Accounts published by the Monarchy every year is the most accurate statement of the cost of the Monarchy to the public purse in the United Kingdom - this of course does not include the cost of Security as the Government does not release such figures, regardless of the person in receipt of the security detail. As for indirect costs to local councils and charities, those are not cataloged into one statement of accounts.

Queen Camilla

Quote from: Windsor on September 04, 2014, 09:20:23 AM
Hi Windsor,

Thanks

Apologies for the delay, I have been unwell for quite some time and was unable to give this thread much attention. I am now back, and recovered to full health.

The Queen rarely has the need to stay over night in Wales - as her visits to the region are normally done within a a period of 12 hours. However, when required the Royal Couple make arrangements to stay privately at Gatcombe Park with Princess Anne - the Estate is close to the Welsh border and has easy access to most of southern Wales. Alternative accommodation is at times provided by private hotels as well, but that is very rarely the case.

Thanks Windsor, glad you are feeling better.

TLLK

Thank you to Sophie Chloe who has inspired my first question here.

Who pays for William and Kate's household and office staff?

Windsor

Quote from: TLLK on September 19, 2014, 08:47:48 PM
Thank you to Sophie Chloe who has inspired my first question here.

Who pays for William and Kate's household and office staff?

@TLLK

The Prince of Wales is responsible for funding in its entirety the household of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. The funds cover the cost of performing official duties, staff salaries and the running of their offices. No salaries are paid to members of the Royal Family.

TLLK

TLLK

Windsor-Just to clarify does the PoW and his family receive any allowance from the Sovereign's Grant? If yes, would you happen to know how much?

Windsor

@TLLK

The official activities of the Prince of Wales and his family are funded entirely by the Duchy of Cornwall - there are only three items of expenses covered by other methods. Travel to and from official engagements and structural repairs/maintenance of their official residences is covered by the Sovereign's Grant and Security is covered by the Home Office.

PrincessOfPeace

Where does the Duchy's surplus go?

Since 1337, the revenues from the Duchy have either passed to an eldest surviving son and heir or where there has not been one, the Sovereign. These revenues can be spent as the Heir or Sovereign see fit. However the current Prince of Wales chooses to use a substantial proportion of his income from the Duchy estate to meet the cost of his public and charitable work as well as the public and private lives of his family, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George and Prince Harry. (My bolding)

Details of how the income from the Duchy is spent are given in The Prince of Wales' Annual Review which can be seen here

Does The Prince receive civil list funding?

The Prince does not receive Sovereign Grant funding. The Prince chooses to spend the majority of the Duchy income on his work and charitable activities.

Frequently Asked Questions | The Duchy of Cornwall

SophieChloe

Quote from: Windsor on September 23, 2014, 04:57:08 PM
@TLLK

The official activities of the Prince of Wales and his family are funded entirely by the Duchy of Cornwall - there are only three items of expenses covered by other methods. Travel to and from official engagements and structural repairs/maintenance of their official residences is covered by the Sovereign's Grant and Security is covered by the Home Office.
So, the TP are paying for them going to and from engagements? And the local council are responsible for *making good*  the places they are visiting?

Their homes?.....

And Security?  Why are we not privy to the costs, Windsor? 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

Quote from: Windsor on September 23, 2014, 04:57:08 PM
@TLLK

Thank you Windsor. Now from what I recall of the expenses released by the Palace this past summer, Charles was obliged to personally pick up some of the transportation costs for the Cambridges and Prince Harry so they could make it to their engagements. Is this correct?

Not surprised to read that the Sovereign's Grant covers the cost of transportation for members of the BRF. Other royal families around the globe have similar arrangements for their transportation needs as they perform their duties.

Lady Adams

^ What about security @Windsor?

@TLLK  Here's a good article about royal finance I found that you may also find interesting:
The Queen's finances explained: All you need to know before the Privy Purse is opened - Mirror Online
:hug:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

TLLK

PrincessOfPeace

Security for the Royal Family is the responsibility of the Home Office. Any questions regarding costs should be directed to Theresa May. This is what the government had to say when passing the Sovereign Grant Act.

Why no breakdown of security costs provided given this represents a major cost for the taxpayer?

Disclosure of such information could compromise the integrity of these arrangements and affect the security of individuals protected.  It is therefore long established policy not to comment upon the protective security arrangements and their related costs for members of the Royal Family or their residences.

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] Sovereign Grant Act: frequently asked questions relating to the Act and on general issues - HM Treasury

Lady Adams

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

PrincessOfPeace

Lady Adams

Since the UK gov't has passed on FOIA re: security costs, I doubt my ringing up the UK home secretary will yield answers!  :lol:

Windsor

Quote from: SophieChloe on September 23, 2014, 08:30:46 PM
So, the TP are paying for them going to and from engagements?

@SophieChloe the taxpayer only fund transport when the use of non-conventional modes of transport are required, like for example use of the Royal Helicopter, or the Queen's Flight. Transportation by car is covered privately by the Prince of Wales.

QuoteAnd the local council are responsible for *making good*  the places they are visiting?

That is up to the people receiving a Royal Visit whether they want to spruce up the place or not. :shrug:

QuoteTheir homes?.....

Their official residences are maintained by the Sovereign's Grant. Just like No. 10 Downing Street or Parliament are kept up by the taxpayer.

QuoteAnd Security?  Why are we not privy to the costs, Windsor?

The Government does not release figures for the cost of Security - be that for the Royal Family, or members of the Government or anyone else being protected by the State.

Quote^ What about security @Windsor ?

@Lady Adams ^

Windsor

Quote from: TLLK on September 23, 2014, 08:46:44 PM
Now from what I recall of the expenses released by the Palace this past summer, Charles was obliged to personally pick up some of the transportation costs for the Cambridges and Prince Harry so they could make it to their engagements. Is this correct?

@TLLK

Yes, the cost for minor travel (The use of cars) carried out by the Royal Family is covered by the Royal Family privately.

TLLK

Thank you Windsor. :thanks:

SophieChloe

Thanks, @Windsor.  I'm of the opinion that the real cost of securing the royals is kept secret because the British public would be outraged at just how much they cost us.

Another question, please.  The blood royal and spouse are out on an engagement.  There is a real threat to life.  Who would the RPO's save - the blood royal or the married in one? 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me