Duchess of Cambridge set to resume Royal duties

Started by Limabeany, September 28, 2014, 12:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

From Rebecca English's twitter (she was asked if Kate's planned appearance at The Art Room had been announced):

Quoteno it wasn't. A number of engagements have been kept under wraps this month.

Quotethat's for the reason that while KP hope she might go, they don't want to cause a huge wave of anticipation in case she doesn't.

cinrit

Message also included in this article:

QuotePregnant Kate Middleton Sends Message of Support to Charity Event as Severe Morning Sickness Keeps Her at Home

The Duchess of Cambridge has sent a message of support to one of her charities from her sickbed as she continues to be treated for severe morning sickness.  Kate, who is less than three months pregnant with her second child, had hoped to attend the launch of The Art Room's latest project.  But she was forced to pull out because of her illness.

It is one of several engagements, including an overseas trip to Malta, she has had to cancel as she is treated by doctors inside Kensington Palace for the condition that has blighted both her pregnancies.

Her spokesman said: "The Duchess of Cambridge continues to suffer from the effects of Hyperemesis Gravidarum and was unable to attend this event today in person.

"The decision to undertake engagements is being kept under review on a case by case basis."

More: Pregnant Kate Middleton sends message of support to charity event as severe morning sickness keeps her at home - Mirror Online

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

SophieChloe

She must be gutted.  We know just how much her charities mean to her  :cool2:
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

In All I Do

Quote from: wannable on October 01, 2014, 01:53:19 PM
Available in the POW website

A message of support to The Art Room and The Clore Duffield Foundation, on their 50th anniversary, from The Duchess of Cambridge

Thanks for the link, wannable.

It's a good statement, actually. Written at about a grade 10 level, it's very readable, it emphasises the importance of the charity's work and accomplishments, and talks about the new partnership with the Clore Duffield Foundation.  All of the things, I'm sure, that would have been in the speech she'd have given if she went.

I wish all of the PR people I work with would write prose this clear and readable.

HistoryGirl

I actually prefer this. I'm usually too distracted by her halted speech to be able to pay attention to what she is saying. Hopefully the Art Room continues to flourish and Kate gets to be a part of that in the future.

TLLK

Quote from: Adrienne on October 01, 2014, 04:47:23 PM

A message of support to The Art Room and The Clore Duffield Foundation, on their 50th anniversary, from The Duchess of Cambridge

It's a good statement, actually. Written at about a grade 10 level, it's very readable, it emphasises the importance of the charity's work and accomplishments, and talks about the new partnership with the Clore Duffield Foundation.  All of the things, I'm sure, that would have been in the speech she'd have given if she went.

I wish all of the PR people I work with would write prose this clear and readable.

I agree. Out of curiosity is there an average reading level that most PR or advertising professionals are aiming for when releasing text?

TLLK

Thank you for sharing wannable. Glad to see that the Art Room continues to be recognized and hopefully it is a program that can be expanded through out the country.

In All I Do

Quote from: TLLK on October 01, 2014, 05:17:57 PM
Quote from: Adrienne on October 01, 2014, 04:47:23 PM

I agree. Out of curiosity is there an average reading level that most PR or advertising professionals are aiming for when releasing text?

So I'm a technical writer. I like to aim for 9-11 but (honestly) am rarely able to get below 12. So generally 12-15.

PR people actually, IME, write at a much higher grade level than they should. This is primarily because they write too many run-on sentences in an effort to circumvent reporters' propensity to only take a sentence out of a release or statement. So if you jam all the important bits into a single statement, reporters have to quote the whole thing. (This is straight from PR people's mouths, FWIW.)

Most newspapers are written at a 8-10 level, with some being written slightly higher. To compare and contrast, an exerpt from a Stephen Hawking speech that I recently analysed was written at a grade 9 level. It's my belief that if one of the pre-eminant physicists can give a lay explanation of Einstein's GToR at a grade 9 level, very few people have any business writing anything above a fifteen.

TLLK

Thank you for answering my question and sharing your thoughts on the Duchess' written statement.  :thanks:

HsHCharlene

I know it may not go over so well but if she really is that sick then she shouldn't have any engagements scheduled until after a certain period or the birth. There's no point in doing all that work and preparation just for her to pull out. The end effect is the same, she didn't go. So it shouldn't have been planned in the first place. Nothing came out of it.

TLLK

^^^You do make a good point. Based on what I've read about the condition it can be difficult to predict with any certainty when the effects will ease up.

cinrit

To be fair, we don't know when this engagement was planned.  The Royals usually plan well in advance, so it could be that it was scheduled a month ago, or even two or three months ago.  I've read that there are other engagements planned, but not announced because of the uncertainty of Kate's condition.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Canuck

I do agree that Kate shouldn't try to push herself if she isn't well enough yet.  But this wasn't an event planned just for her or anything -- this was an anniversary event the charity was holding in any case.  They didn't publicly announce she'd be there, so they were clearly aware she might not be able to come and kept things low key rather than getting hopes up.  I think that's a good way to approach these types of events, where they will be planning and going ahead with them whether or not Kate is able to attend (but obviously would like to have her there if she IS able to come).

Given the amount of publicity these charities get when she does visit, I think they are probably happy to take on whatever additional preparation is needed in the event she can come.  It's well worth it from a fundraising and profile-raising perspective if she is able to make it, and if she isn't the event will go ahead without her with this type of statement read instead.

Limabeany

She hasn't been well enough since she graduated University.  :blush:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

Quote from: TLLK on October 01, 2014, 05:52:22 PM
Based on what I've read about the condition it can be difficult to predict with any certainty when the effects will ease up.
According to doctors other than Kate's it is difficult to predict when it will ease and impossible to predict whether it will return during the pregnancy, but those are not Kate's doctor, he is better than all the rest, he  knew that once it eased it would not be coming back and sent her to vacation in Mustique.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Canuck

Ah, yes.  The claim that Kate must have been faking HG because months later she went on vacation.  Even though she was hospitalized.  Even though the hospital told the prank callers they thought were the Queen how dehydrated Kate was and that she had been having trouble sleeping and was better because she hadn't retched during the current shift.  Even though Kate looked quite ill when she left the hospital and at Christmas.  Even though there's never been a single leak from any source -- even an anonymous one -- that Kate wasn't really all that sick.  Even though she's now again suffering from HG and hasn't been out in public in a month.  And even though Mustique does in fact have a health clinic, there are hospitals nearby, and a relapse of HG would not have been immediately dangerous for Kate and she could have simply returned to the UK if she really needed to (the danger comes from the prolonged nature of the vomiting, not from a single day of it).

There's a difference between not knowing when the initial bout of feeling sick all the time will end, and not knowing whether once she's gotten better it will recur.  Of course there's no way to predict the latter 100%, but from what I've read it seems once the acute HG settles down (often in the second trimester, and often with the help of anti-nausea medication she stays on the rest of her pregnancy) many women feel normal the rest of their pregnancy.  Which is, obviously, true for Kate -- she returned to engagements just after the Mustique trip last time, and looked quite healthy and happy the rest of the pregnancy.

Limabeany

If you are addressing me, I have never said she was faking anything, please check your facts before countering posters, I said it was morning sickness and not HG, because there is NO guarantee it will not come back and no doctor on earth can be certain of that until you give birth yet hers let her go on vacation to a place without a hospital for a week and get on a plane for 18 hours round-way, this is especially true in one that is KNOWN to have been severe and needing hospitalization. Given that she spent more time vacationing abroad than working that year, her happiness at vacationing is not admirable, her happiness at working would be, if she ever did so half as regularly as she stays at home.

Canuck

Well, since KP has consistently said it was HG, if you're saying it's not then you're accusing them of either deliberately lying or of employing doctors who incorrectly diagnosed her in a way that is so obvious that people on the internet with no actual involvement or observation of Kate know is wrong.

I also continue to be confused as to why you think HG is likely to come back but morning sickness is not.  Or, for that matter, why it really matters which label is applied.  If you're not saying she was faking, then you agree that she was quite ill and needed to be hospitalized and on bed rest for a significant period of time.  At that point, I don't really understand why calling it morning sickness changes things (except that it confuses things, because she was reportedly vomiting at all times of day, not just in the morning).

Limabeany

People knew Charles and Diana's marriage was wrong without any private observation as well and despite the Palace saying they were great. The Palace speaking on behalf of Kate means very little. They do whatever they need to do to get sympathy and paint her an their members in a good light, these are people reliant on public opinion to exist in the luxury and with the reverence that they are accustomed to. As far as the HG/morning sickness, I have said my thoughts, and have never said she was faking illness but misnaming it. As far as your "confusion" there is no guarantee severe morning sickness or HG will not come back, which makes her 9 hour trip to a place without a hospital ill-advised and unintelligent.

Canuck

If you don't think she was faking illness, then again, I'm not sure why it matters so much that KP and her doctors "misnamed" it.  She was (and is now again) sick. 

Limabeany

This is my opinion, I am not sure why it matters to you enough to continue trying to get me to say something that will suit what you think I should say/think.  :truce:

TLLK

Quote from: Limabeany on October 01, 2014, 07:06:56 PM
Quote from: TLLK on October 01, 2014, 05:52:22 PM
Based on what I've read about the condition it can be difficult to predict with any certainty when the effects will ease up.
According to doctors other than Kate's it is difficult to predict when it will ease and impossible to predict whether it will return during the pregnancy, but those are not Kate's doctor, he is better than all the rest, he  knew that once it eased it would not be coming back and sent her to vacation in Mustique.
From observing Kate, discussing her condition, giving her a check-up, running tests he would have been able to determine if she would be fit to travel to Mustique. The couple could travel with any medication that offered her relief, take along IV fluids assuming she still had her picc line installed and would have access to medical care on nearby islands.

As was stated in an earlier post her doctor would have a better idea of her condition than others.  :)

Limabeany

As stated in an earlier post, this is a forum for expressing opinions and they do not require a medical degree, we are not required to have  evidence  to post as this isn't a court of law, but to have an opinion/impression we wish to share. :hug:

TLLK

^^^That is true and we're all welcome to share our opinions. Personally I prefer facts and reason to support mine though I know that not everyone else feels the same way. :)

Canuck

Quote from: Limabeany on October 01, 2014, 08:52:33 PM
This is my opinion, I am not sure why it matters to you enough to continue trying to get me to say something that will suit what you think I should say/think.  :truce:

I'm not trying to get you to say something.  I'm just honestly confused about what you ARE saying.  I thought (apparently incorrectly) that your point in saying she did not have HG was that she was not really all that sick.  But you just posted twice in this thread that you don't think she was faking her illness.  So I was trying to understand what point you were making in saying it wasn't HG.   :shrug: