King Felipe salutes the work of the press

Started by Jennifer, October 22, 2014, 01:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

QuoteHandshakes and pecks on the cheeks were exchanged in large numbers as King Felipe and Queen Letizia attended the 25th anniversary of 'El Mundo' at the Westin Palace Hotel in Madrid yesterday. Queen Letizia look very beautiful at the event, wearing a deep blue glittery cocktail dress from one of her favourite designers, Felipe Varela. In addition, she also wore blue pumps, a black satin clutch and 'Comete' diamond star stud earrings from Chanel.

Along with King Felipe and Queen Letizia, hundreds of Spanish politicians, businessmen and cultural figures attended the reception at the hotel as well. During the dinner, the President of the Editorial Unit, Antonio Fernández Galiano, and Pedro J. Ramires, journalist and founder of the newspaper, 'El Mundo', held speeches, which all received loud applauses.

Also, King Felipe climbed the stage to give a speech paying tribute to the Spanish press. According to 'El Mundo', King Felipe said that "the press was essential for the construction of democracy". King Felipe also praised the freedom of expression, calling it "one of the fundamental pillers of any advanced system of democratic coexistence".

Read more:
King Felipe salutes the work of the press | Royalista
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Lady Adams

I'm glad that the Spanisg royals can appreciate journalism.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

TLLK

^^^I agree because while the Spanish press generally gave the SRF  a great deal of respect in the past, I know recent years have been "tricky" with the Nunos affair, Botswana Elephant shoot, JC's health and the scrutiny that Letizia received.

HistoryGirl

Quote from: Lady Adams on October 22, 2014, 02:35:39 PM
I'm glad that the Spanisg royals can appreciate journalism.

Totally agree. Good for Felipe and Letizia.

Limabeany

I think the Spanish press has been quite fair in their treatment of Felipe and Letizia, regarding not inflicting on them the punishment for the sins of his father.  :thumbsup:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

I'll agree about Felipe, but Letizia has been under attack from certain members of the press from the day their engagement was announced.
Divorced woman, commoner background, "hushed" Felipe when he interrupted her...that was just the engagement announcement.

Too thin, too casual, too sloppy, too obsessed with fashion, greedy, demanding, too controlling, wears Spanx (actual complaint!) Too common, too smart, too friendly, too cold....Blamed for her sister's suicide. Faulted because Leonor's teeth were not falling out...The Spanish press can be rabid. :wacko: