Main Menu

An Idea

Started by DaisyMeRollin, March 28, 2015, 08:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaisyMeRollin

Have the admins and mods here considered adding the ability of allowing the person who creates a thread to moderate their own thread along side the mods?

The reoccurring theme seems to be that the mods are short-handed, so this would circumvent the need for a forum-wide moderator (unless things get too out of hand, where it would be necessary for the presence of a forum-wide, admin approved mod),  and the creator of the thread would not only have to be responsible for the content in the thread but can oust those who do not wish to contribute and would rather...Whatever it is he/she/it/we/they intend(s) to do. Stifle the discussion is my best guess.

I can see how this might be problematic in some ways, were people to abuse it. It might be worth mulling over, though.

(Only tossing this out there since I was asked a month or two ago what solution, if any, could be viable.)
"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

snokitty

That would cause chaos especially for the admins.  Some may not like the decisions that are made but everyone can not be in charge.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

TLLK

Quote from: DaisyMeRollin on March 28, 2015, 08:33:29 PM
Have the admins and mods here considered adding the ability of allowing the person who creates a thread to moderate their own thread along side the mods?

The reoccurring theme seems to be that the mods are short-handed, so this would circumvent the need for a forum-wide moderator (unless things get too out of hand, where it would be necessary for the presence of a forum-wide, admin approved mod),  and the creator of the thread would not only have to be responsible for the content in the thread but can oust those who do not wish to contribute and would rather...Whatever it is he/she/it/we/they intend(s) to do. Stifle the discussion is my best guess.

I can see how this might be problematic in some ways, were people to abuse it. It might be worth mulling over, though.

(Only tossing this out there since I was asked a month or two ago what solution, if any, could be viable.)

It's an interesting idea DMR.

Windsor

Thank you for posting about this issue - it certainly is an interesting idea. However, at this time we feel it cannot be implemented.  :hug:

Orchid

Quote from: DaisyMeRollin on March 28, 2015, 08:33:29 PM

Management of Royal Insight content will always be undertaken by official staff. All moderators are (quote) "admin-approved" and oversee adherence to our rules and community standards. Moderators are an official, authorised part of our management system.

1. The community nature of the forum means we would not consider an individualised system which permits posters to moderate other posters and "oust" other posters from topics for any reason - this is an alarming proposition as our ethos is one of integration and participation for all.

2. Once topics are created they are not deemed to be any one poster's "own/personal" topic or property to be self-managed, rather they become a hosted part of our community, open to debate and mass-participation.

3. Posters are already responsible for the content of their own posts in any given thread and if each poster takes this responsibility seriously there will be little to no need for moderation of content.
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil