Prince Charles Visited the Syrian Orthodox Church in Acton

Started by snokitty, December 17, 2014, 07:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

Clarence House ‏@ClarenceHouse 2h2 hours ago

QuoteHRH visited the Syrian Orthodox Church in Acton today, meeting congregation members who have faced persecution

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail
QuotePrince Charles describes the murder of 132 children yesterday in Peshawar by fanatics claiming to act in the name of Islam was 'sickening'.
Prince Charles: I have been deeply distressed by the horrific scenes of violence and bestial brutality coming out of the Middle East.
Charles: I can only commend those members of the Media, some of whom I know are here today.....
Charles contd: .....for helping to ensure that the world is not allowed to forget the stark horror of what is happening in Iraq and Syria.
Charles: In this Advent season.....it is the more profoundly heart-breaking that so many Christians are being persecuted for their faith.
Charles: [but] you must not forget that Muslims in Iraq and Syria have been victims of appalling persecution as well as Christians & Yazidis
Charles: I can only leave you with my prayers and blessings, however inadequate they may be, together with these words of St. Paul's....
Charles:We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed...persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed (St Paul's) #Peshawar

Double post auto-merged: December 17, 2014, 07:56:41 PM

Prince Charles condemns Taliban massacre of 132 Pakistani children as sacrilege | Royal | News | Daily Express
The heir to the thone spoke out a day after the gun attack on the children and their teachers at the Army Public School in Peshawar, as he visited the London cathedral of a community of Middle Eastern Christians.

At a special service in his honour, Charles, 66, told the congregation of the Syriac Orthodox Church in East Acton, west London, that killing in the name of religion was a desecration.

Some of the worshippers have fled persecution in their homelands but in recent months the spread of Islamic State fighters has brought further misery as their relatives back home in Iraq or Syria have been forced to flee for their lives.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

TLLK

^^^Glad to see Charles making this visit to one of the persecuted Christian denominations.

cinrit

QuoteA Speech by HRH The Prince of Wales at the Syrian Orthodox Church, Acton, London

Archbishop, Ladies and Gentlemen, I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to return to this wonderful church and your congregation in this season of  Advent – although as I stand here surrounded by Wise Men from the East, today feels to me rather more like Epiphany!

I am enormously grateful to you for your wonderful gift, which I shall treasure and I know my small grandson will as well.

Archbishop, as some of you may be aware, this is the third visit that I have paid in recent weeks to churches whose congregations have the soul-destroying experience of inhuman persecution.  In this Advent season, a season of celebration, it is the more profoundly heart-breaking that so many Christians are being persecuted for their faith.  For more than twenty years I have tried to build bridges between people of different faiths and have appealed for greater understanding, for greater tolerance and for harmony between the great religions of the world.  At a time when so little is held sacred, it is quite literally diabolical that these symbolic bridges should be so destroyed.   

And yet there are people who, in the name of their religion, can find it in themselves to disregard the sacred and to persecute people of another faith, or of a different branch of their own faith.  So you must not forget that Muslims in Iraq and Syria have been victims of appalling persecution as well as Christians and Yazidis.  As I have said before, it seems to me that all faiths to some extent shine a light on the divine image in every human life.  If that is so, then surely to destroy another human being is to desecrate the image of the Divine.  To do so in the name of faith is, surely, nothing less than a sacrilege.     

More: Speech

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.