Official-Prince Henrik diagnosed with dementia

Started by TLLK, September 06, 2017, 07:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

BREAKING NEWS: Prince Henrik diagnosed with dementia – Royal Central

I'm sorry that he and his family is facing this diagnosis, but it does explain his recent behavior.

sara8150

Denmark's Prince Henrik Diagnosed with Dementia Following Controversial Comments About His Wife the Queen
Prince Henrik of Denmark Diagnosed With Dementia

Double post auto-merged: September 06, 2017, 10:34:53 PM

Denmark's Prince Henrik, 83, is suffering from dementia, palace says weeks after he said he didn't want to be buried next to his 'disrespectful' wife Queen Margrethe
Denmark's Prince Henrik suffering from dementia | Daily Mail Online

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on September 06, 2017, 07:31:01 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Prince Henrik diagnosed with dementia – Royal Central

I'm sorry that he and his family is facing this diagnosis, but it does explain his recent behavior.
Poor old chap.  it must be hard for Margrethe, because it does I think strip away personality.. I thought that it was a possibility when he had tis latest outburst.

royalanthropologist

Somehow missed this. Poor guy and sorry for the family. Dementia is a devastating diagnosis for everybody involved.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

I went on several forums late last year and really blasted Henrik for being vain, selfish and self-centred for being so obsessed with being 'King' of Denmark. I wasn't alone in doing that by any means, but I have to say I feel quite ashamed of myself for my rush to judgement at the time he 'retired' and was making those obnoxious comments.

Henrik made several similar statements over the years and I do believe he was in many ways a rather vain and unpleasant character, even though he was also flamboyant and quite amusing in several ways.

However, dementia is a terrible disease that insidiously strips people of their personality, not something one would wish on anyone. My sympathies go out to Henrik's devoted wife and his children in the wake of this revelation. It's so much harder on the dementia patient's loved ones than on the sufferer because of course the patient really doesn't know what's happening.

royalanthropologist

We all know only that which is in the public domain so it is very easy to judge other people on rumors, speculation and appearance. I have to say that I was one of those that judged Prince Hendrick, unfortunately.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

@Curryong and @royalanthropologist -Me three. TBH I doubt there is a single forum that didn't have some negative  remarks about Henrik due to his behavior. I'm sorry as anything that I judged him prematurely.

amabel

Well I would have said that given his age, it was very likely that he had some issues of this kind, which were making him act more outrageously. I know that he has talked abuot his annoyance at not being King before but this was obviously a bit more OTT and seemed to suggest that he wasn't in control of himself. I think the DRF should have said something sooner, or tried to get him somewhere for treatment, rather than letting the poor old boy be attacked for something he couldn't help

Blue Clover

I thought those comments were out of line, this explains it. Poor guy! But I am certain he will receive the best care available.

TLLK

Queen Margrethe talks about her husband?s dementia ? Royal Central

QuoteIt was in September that it became publicly known that Prince Henrik of Denmark suffered from dementia. This message came after the Prince had come up with a number of controversial statements towards the Queen. For the first time since the news became known, Queen Margrethe has now talked about her husband?s health.

It was when Her Majesty was on State Visit to Ghana that the Queen commented on her husband?s health. Danish TV2 asked Her Majesty when she arrived in Ghana how Prince Henrik was feeling. Her Majesty the Queen replied:?At the moment he is very good. I have just heard from him and he is in a lovely place in a warm country by the ocean and enjoying it and is really well. It is weird to be on such a journey alone. However, when he is good, wherever he is, I am good where I am.?

Curryong

This is very very sad. I have read that in Denmark it was believed that Henrik was in Egypt at the time the Queen spoke about him. A Danish friend of the royal couple has a number of luxury hotels in Egypt and elsewhere and no doubt Henrik (who has stayed in this hotel often) was staying there in warmth and great surroundings, with the best of care.

TLLK

Yes it is @Curryong. From what I've read when compared to others in his age group, his dementia is more advanced than they'd anticipated. :no:

Curryong

Perhaps because Henrik was always a bit eccentric, flamboyant and outspoken, as well as prone to tantrums, it wasn't recognised quite as quickly as it should have been. It is sad, for Daisy and for all the family.

Because Pr Fred didn't marry until his late thirties he has young children whose loving grandpa isn't there any more, as I doubt that they see much of him at all now. The same with Pr Joachim's second family. At least Felix and Nicolai would have strong memories of Henrik as a quite active and engaged family member.

Crown Prss Mary's father lives quietly in Europe, I believe. It's been a while since I've seen photos of the Donaldsons in Denmark. (There was some gossip about a rift between family members.) And I can't remember whether Marie's father is still alive. I have a feeling he isn't. So all in all, not good.