Princess Diana's funeral biggest TV event in British history!!

Started by sara8150, September 06, 2017, 01:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Princess Diana's funeral still most watched TV event in history 20 years on from death
Princess Diana funeral biggest TV event as William and Harry mourned | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: September 06, 2017, 01:30:54 PM

Diana's funeral is still the most-watched live TV event ever: 31million tuned in to watch the ceremony 20 years ago today
Diana's funeral is the most-watched live TV event ever | Daily Mail Online

Curryong

Yes probably more than 32 million people. We heard of people who had friends and extended family in to view the funeral on TV together.  It was a huge event.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Princess Diana Funeral - YouTube

CNN version

The Funeral of Princess Diana 1997 - YouTube

BBC version

In case anyone will want to watch it today, hard to believe the world said farewell 20 years ago today ( since we're still talking about her 20 yrs on, idk if it can be classed as goodbye) :flower: :flower: :flower:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

LouisFerdinand

It is remarkable that Diana's funeral has had more views than her Royal Wedding, which should have been the happiest day of her life.   
:wed: :wed: :wed: :wed: :wed: :wed: :wed: :wed: :wed: :wed: :wed: :wed: :wed: :wed:

Curryong

There were more people around in 1997 than in 1981. And a lot of males for instance aren't particularly interested in the details of weddings, dresses, veils, bridal gear etc. I know I sound sexist, but I think that's true.

Whereas Diana's death and the drama of it all and the widespread mourning before it drew a world wide audience, not just in Britain. I think Diana's wedding drew millions of viewers from around the world too, though.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Very true, i think the male contingent were chaps like me that hated to see her "off the market" LOL. Remember Bryan Adams song, Diana "whatcha doin with a guy like him"  :lol:  The bulk of the audience were likely female, it would have been interesting if ratings companies or networks did any research on it.

As I recall the worldwide audience is most often quoted as 750 million for the wedding, and over 2 billion (2-2.5 billion) (of 6 billion ppl) for the funeral.

The world was more interconnected by 1997 compared to 1981, and was arguably the first worldwide tragedy.

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.