Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Brexit: 2018 Queen's Speech cancelled by government
Brexit: 2018 Queen's Speech cancelled by government - BBC News

Double post auto-merged: June 19, 2017, 06:48:10 AM

Queen's speech scrapped next year to allow more time to tackle Brexit laws
Queen's speech scrapped next year to allow more time to tackle Brexit laws

Double post auto-merged: June 19, 2017, 06:56:16 AM

Ministers SCRAP the 2018 Queen's Speech to give Brexit laws two years to clear Parliament amid fears of Remain fightback
Ministers SCRAP the 2018 Queen's Speech for Brexit laws | Daily Mail Online

Blue Clover

An interesting move! I guess it's not canceled, just moved.

Curryong

I think it's a wise, if extremely unusual, move. Brexit debates and committees are going to take up enormous amounts of government time, and there may well be questions, now unknown, thrown up by the negotiations, which will require careful consideration.

In addition, we don't know whether the May government will survive into 2018, in spite of the agreement with the BUF. An incoming Corbyn government would have quite another agenda with regard to legislation. Everything is rather unstable and in a state of flux at the moment.

royalanthropologist

Theresa May is cracking up. What this shows is that she has no agenda. I mean really. It is like cancelling the state of the union. Panic all round plus the terrorists are doing nasty stuff every few days. The country is in chaos.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

Curryong

Short and sweet, and no mention of The Donald's State Visit, apparently! I hope Theresa's government lasts a few months or the Brits will be plunged into general election mode again (and it doesn't look as if it's going to be pretty.) At least the Spanish State Visit looks as if it's on the cards.

royalanthropologist

I know I am being a silly old so and so but the queen and prince Charles looked a bit pathetic today. I hope they do not go the European way by getting rid of the pomp and circumstance. It looked like a business meeting rather than a state opening of parliament.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sara8150

The Queen attends State Opening of Parliament with Prince Charles after Prince Philip is hospitalised
The Queen and Prince Charles attend State Opening of Parliament

Double post auto-merged: June 21, 2017, 06:08:25 PM

Queen Elizabeth attends the State Opening of Parliament 2017
Queen Elizabeth attends the State Opening of Parliament 2017 | NEWMYROYALS & HOLLYWOOD FASHION

amabel

Quote from: royalanthropologist on June 21, 2017, 02:10:14 PM
I know I am being a silly old so and so but the queen and prince Charles looked a bit pathetic today. I hope they do not go the European way by getting rid of the pomp and circumstance. It looked like a business meeting rather than a state opening of parliament.
I think in the circumstnaces, a terrorist attack a few weeks ago, a tragic fire and the election problems it was very right ot slim down the ceremony and showed good taste...