Prince Harry admits seeking counseling after Diana's death

Started by sara8150, April 16, 2017, 09:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

I hope the campaign has been a game changer. However, encouraging people to seek help, admirable as that is, doesn't help when there are long waiting lists to see NHS psychiatrists and counsellors or to be booked in to a facility dealing with drug psychosis for example. It was a blow to see government cutbacks to health services announced only days after the intensive Heads Together campaign had finished a week of well publicised work.

Jenee

Quote from: amabel on April 27, 2017, 04:57:17 AM
what is needed IMO are people working in counseling etc who know their job.  Money can't buy skills.. or dedication.

Agreed, although I think burnout is a real problem here. You can only talk to so many abused kids before you close shop and find a happier job.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Mike

Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

Curryong

Of course many of these articles and interviews have a link to the HeadsTogether campaign, and encouraging members of the Forces, especially vets to talk about their issues and if necessary seek help for them.

It's great that Harry spoke at length a few weeks ago about his own problems, which as he says, weren't specifically service-related, and there's some evidence that ex service personnel did respond by calling Help-lines and mental health organisations/charities. So that's good. The danger is, I think, that the public may become tired of his and the Cambridges narrative on their own mental health. I'm not talking here about the nutters and moaners on DM online, but in general. So it might be wise to cool it for a bit.

However, I am interested in what Harry and William have to say about their mother's death and funeral in two docos which are to be shown near the 20th anniversary of Diana's death. We may get some insight there as to how it affected them and about the public and BRF expectations at that time.

sandy

I think it a tactical error of harry to say he did not want to walk in back of coffin. He may well have regretted it if he had not.

Curryong

He may have meant that pressure was put on him subtle or otherwise, as a twelve year old boy, to walk behind the cortège. The tabloids has rushed to publicise, as usual, the parts of the interview it thinks will get its readers stirred up, in a cherry picking sort of way.

I've decided I'm going to buy Newsweek and read the entire article, not the bits and bobs the DM and others want people to read. Also, I'm going to wait for the two documentaries about Diana, her death and funeral, when they come on TV in the coming weeks so we can get what they really think/thought about it all, from the horse(s) mouths, so to speak.

TLLK

QuoteThe tabloids has rushed to publicise, as usual, the parts of the interview it thinks will get its readers stirred up, in a cherry picking sort of way.

A dubious and lucrative practice for most media outlets. <_<

Double post auto-merged: June 22, 2017, 03:29:15 PM

QuoteHe may have meant that pressure was put on him subtle or otherwise, as a twelve year old boy, to walk behind the cortège.

I agree @Curryong. IMO most logical people can understand that at twelve he wasn't going to have much say in the matter.

amabel

I think that certainly Will was old enough to walk, and that harry should have kept this private.  I'm getting more and more dubius about this heads together stuff