Princess Mary, Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood

Started by snokitty, December 24, 2014, 01:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

Princess Mary, Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood | Unofficial Royalty
The only daughter of King George V and Queen Mary was born on April 25, 1897, in the year of the Diamond Jubilee of her great grandmother Queen Victoria, at York Cottage on the Sandringham Estate. She was the third of the six children of her parents who were the Duke and Duchess of York at the time of her birth. The new baby was named Victoria Alexandra Alice Mary, but was always known as Mary.

Mary was christened on June 7, 1897 at St. Mary Magdalene Church, Sandringham. Her godparents were:

Queen Victoria (her great grandmother)
The Princess of Wales (her paternal grandmother, later Queen Alexandra)
Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, Duchess of Teck (her maternal grandmother)
Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia (born Dagmar of Denmark, her paternal great aunt)
Princess Victoria (her paternal aunt)
King George I of Greece (born William of Denmark, her paternal great uncle)
The Prince of Wales (her paternal grandfather, later King Edward VII)
Prince Francis of Teck (her maternal uncle)
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

LouisFerdinand

Princess Mary was born on the same day, April 25th, as her grand aunt, Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse and by Rhine. Alice was given as one of her middle names.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

In the 1922 wedding of Princess Mary and Viscount Lascelles, one of the bridesmaids was a Princess Maud.   
Who was Princess Maud?

Curryong

I believe that bridesmaid was Maud of Fife, the younger daughter of the Duke of Fife and princess Louise, the eldest daughter of King Edward VII. The King was determined that his granddaughters Fife  would be HRHs, not merely have the status of Duke's daughters, and Letters Patent were issued granting them this.

Maud married the Earl of Southesk in 1923. She and her husband lived very simply in the country, running an estate and very modern farm that was innovative for the time. She had one son James who died a couple of years ago. King Edward's daughters and granddaughters weren't a very fertile bunch. One child, occasionally two, was the norm.

amabel

I'd say that 2 children was the nrom for most people including the upper classes from the early 20th C.  (Unless they needed ot have a male heir and went on till they had a son)... but I gather that once there was some "semi reliable" form of contraception, and the upper and middle classes had access ot it, the size of familes went down very much..

LouisFerdinand

Princess Mary inspected thousands of Girl Guides in 1929. She was their Chief. 
Princess Mary (1929) - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Princess Mary in a photograph of Four Generations:   
Queen Alexandra, her grandmother   
King George V, her father   
Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles,   
George Lascelles, her son   
Queen Alexandra with her son, granddaughter and great-grandson | Queen mother, King george and Princess mary

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Princess Mary's wedding to Viscount Lascelles was the first royal wedding to be covered in Vogue magazine.