Rare Portrait of Queen Elizabeth I discovered....

Started by Orchid, May 28, 2008, 05:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchid

BBC News

QuoteA rare portrait of Queen Elizabeth I as a young princess has been discovered in a private collection at a stately home in Northamptonshire.

The portrait, dating from 1650 to 1680, was found in the Duke of Buccleuch's collection at Boughton House.

It shows Elizabeth with siblings Edward VI and Mary I, father Henry VIII and his jester, Will Somers.
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

princesslily

Wow thank you!!! I just finished the other Boleyn girl so this helps me picture them better.

Goldylocks

Harryite #0102 :kisskiss:                   Fedup-ite # 005 :hissyfit:

Emme

Wow, this is interesting.  I love any history to do with Elizabeth I!  Way cool!!!! 8)

serene grace

Aamazing portrait. I've been watching the Tudors. I loved the movie the Other Boleyn girl too. :brightside:
I find it interesting the BBC Article did not mention the mother Anne Boleyn of one of the Princesses, Only Henry VIII who is shown, is mentioned as a parent.
Does anyone know how Anne Boleyn is thought of by English Royal historians?
QuoteBBC News:
"We knew it was important because it's a picture of Henry VIII and his family but we did not realise it in the context of Elizabeth as princess."

"'Kate was going out with a bloke called Rupert Finch,' says a source. 'Soon afterwards, though, they split up and I remember William saying that he thought he might "have a go".'-TheGuardian-Observer: "Girl Interrupted"

LouisFerdinand

It is always a magnificent moment both in the world of art and the course of history when an unknown painting, like the one of Princess Elizabeth Tudor, is found.   
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: