"London Bridge" the plan for QEII's funeral

Started by TLLK, March 16, 2017, 03:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Trudie

Hopefully this will not happen anytime soon since The QM died at 101 I hope HM lasts another 10 years.

TLLK

@Trudie-They do have incredible life spans. It's a shame that George VI didn't have this opportunity because his mother and siblings had very long lives for their generation. Also it didn't hurt that they had the best  medical care possible.

While I don't wish QEII to pass on any time soon, I hope that she doesn't have a long, slow decline if she were to become ill  in the future. Fortunately it appears that the BRF is not affected by forms of dementia like poor Queen/Princess Juliana of the Netherlands.

Trudie

IMO it seems the men have shorter lifespans. looking back Princes Albert at 42, Edward VII 69 George V his sixties and George VI 59. The Women however, Queen Victoria 81, Alexandra 82, Mary, 82 the Qm 101 the Queen is almost 91 and the Three previous Queens Victoria, Alexandra and Mary didn't have the medical care of today.

Curryong

Several Windsor men had been heavy smokers since their youth. George VI, like many young males, was introduced to cigarettes during his naval training. Also Edward VII was obese due to a great fondness for multi-course meals. He also puffed away at cigars and wheezed his way through the last decade of his life. Had he not done either of those things he would IMO have probably surpassed his mother Victoria in life span.

Poor old George V had been born prematurely and neither he nor his siblings had strong constitutions. Albert may well have worried himself to death, being over consciencious in royal duties. It's always been said that typhoid killed him, but I have my doubts. Other theories have been put forward such as stomach cancer and Krone's disease which seem more likely candidates. He was doomed anyway as they were both incurable at that time.

It's correct of course  that the Windsor women have lived much longer on average than the men. It was lucky for them that smoking for women was a social no-no, though Queen Mary was a smoker in private and Queen Victoria puffed away on picnics at Balmoral to keep midges away.

Charles is a healthy specimen though and with both parents still alive in their 90's there's no reason why he can't do the same. It's probably just as well, as if the Queen reaches 100 Charles will be an almost 80 year old Prince of Wales in waiting.

royalanthropologist

Wow. What a fascinating ritual. I was intrigued by the removal of the two thrones in parliament, to be replaced by an image of a crown.  Also the proclamations, what is in them? What do they actually say? It is interesting to note that in Tudor times, it was a crime to imagine the death of a sovereign but now they actually plan for it in advance. How times have changed.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

QuoteUpon the intimation that our late Most Gracious Sovereign King George the Sixth had died in his sleep at Sandringham in the early hours of this morning the Lords of the Privy Council assembled this day at St. James's Palace, and gave orders for proclaiming Her present Majesty.
WHEREAS it has pleased Almighty God to call to His Mercy our late Sovereign Lord King George the Sixth of Blessed and Glorious memory, by whose Decease the Crown is solely and rightfully come to the High and Mighty Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary:
WE, therefore, the Lords Spiritual and Temporal of this Realm, being here assisted with these His late Majesty's Privy Council, with representatives of other Members of the Commonwealth, with other Principal Gentlemen of Quality, with the Lord Mayor, Aldermen, and Citizens of London, do now hereby with one voice and Consent of Tongue and Heart publish and proclaim that the High and Mighty Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary is now, by the death of our late Sovereign of happy memory, become Queen Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of this Realm and of all Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, to whom Her lieges do acknowledge all Faith and constant Obedience with hearty and humble Affection, beseeching God by whom Kings and Queens do reign, to bless the Royal Princess Elizabeth the Second with long and happy Years to reign over us.
Given at St. James's Palace this Sixth Day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty-two.

This was the one read for Elizabeth II upon her ascension to the throne.

Proclamation of accession of Elizabeth II - Wikipedia