Prince Albert Lifts the Lid on What It Was Like Having Grace Kelly As a Mother

Started by cinrit, October 02, 2014, 12:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteThirty-two years after the tragic death of Grace Kelly, Prince Albert of Monaco has lifted the lid on what it was like to be raised by the iconic actress.

In the latest issue of People, the 56-year-old royal reveals that his mother was a 'loving and caring hands-on mom' who only ever sought the best for her three children.

And while most of the world only ever witnessed the glamour and poise she projected in the public eye, he insists she 'was even more beautiful on the inside.'

Kelly married Monaco's Prince Rainier III in 1956 and became Her Serene Highness The Princess of Monaco.  But even with the fame and responsibility that came with joining the royal family, she never let it compromise her desire to be a good mother.

'Coming to live here and having to behave in a certain way must have been hard for her at first,' said Albert. 'But I never heard her complain.'

More: Prince Albert of Monaco talks about what it was like having Grace Kelly as a mother | Daily Mail Online

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

sara8150

'She was even more beautiful on the inside': Prince Albert of Monaco lifts the lid on what it was like having Grace Kelly as a mother
Prince Albert of Monaco talks about what it was like having Grace Kelly as a mother | Daily Mail Online

cinrit

QuoteHow Princess Grace Made Childhood 'Not Palace-y' for Her Children

Grace Kelly was the ultimate Hitchcock blonde: cool, elegant and mysterious. But the Rear Window star, who left Hollywood for good after marrying Monaco's Prince Rainier III in 1956, was also a "hands-on mom," her only son, Prince Albert, tells PEOPLE in an exclusive interview.

Beneath his mother's white-gloved glamour was a parent who brought her kids (Albert and his sisters, Caroline and Stephanie) to the Jersey Shore, wore turbans to "hide a bad hair day," and encouraged party guests to plunge into the palace pool after a private reception for the Monte Carlo ballet. (She jumped in after Rudolf Nureyev.)

More: Princess Grace of Monaco: Prince Albert Details Childhood : People.com

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

HistoryGirl

amabel

HistoryGirl

^I didn't say anything about Monaco; I was referring to Grace Kelly as an individual. I have an admiration for any royal that actually worked and accomplished something on their own merit.

amabel

She was an actress... and notorious for affairs with her leading men. She them made an arranged marriage with Prince Rainier, who was trying ot make Monaco more respectable.  her 3 childne have all turend out to be fairly wild, in their ways....

HistoryGirl

I didn't make an assessment on her moral character. I said she accomplished her work on her own merit. If moral indictments were made on all members of government and royal families not one would lend for much admiration.

amabel

I've nothing against her. I quite like her, but her royal work was IMO average. and her behaviour pre marriage was far from perfect.  She did improve Monacos' public image but her marrage seems to have bee shaky, with rumours of affairs on both sides, and certain her children haven't turned out that well.

HistoryGirl

Neither have the Queen's, whose personal lives make Hollywood storylines look tame.

Curryong

Grace's children did turn out to be exceptionally wild by royal standards though, and had she lived she would have been quite shocked I think. Yes, three of the Queen's children divorced and Andrew's private life has been nothing to write home about. However, none of them had illegitimate children before marriage, including Stephanie's with a circus performer, and Caroline's children have continued the tradition. Albert's settled down now with Charlene, but there has been trouble with exes and their children by him.

HistoryGirl

None of them have been good examples. Neither the Queen's nor Grace's which was the point. The queen's accomplishments as a woman are not diminished because of her children's private lives, and neither are Grace's.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on October 05, 2014, 09:01:00 PM
Grace's children did turn out to be exceptionally wild by royal standards though, and had she lived she would have been quite shocked I think. Yes, three of the Queen's children divorced and Andrew's private life has been nothing to write home about. However, none of them had illegitimate children before marriage, including Stephanie's with a circus performer, and Caroline's children have continued the tradition. Albert's settled down now with Charlene, but there has been trouble with exes and their children by him.
I agree.  I think the queen's children have had their bad days, but they are about average for today's world.  The Grimaldis are a pretty vulgar bunch. And I think that Grace DID do her best to be a Good mother, but as for her royalwork I don't see anything exceptional about it...