Main Menu

Hello hello hello

Started by x-Goody2Shoes-x, February 03, 2015, 02:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

x-Goody2Shoes-x

Quote from: Macrobug on February 04, 2015, 08:41:27 PM
No kidding.  Especially in labour and delivery where things can get a little......er.....messy.  One delivery with a bit of mec and those scrubs are done  :hehe:

I haven't worn scrubs since 1998.  But when I did I wore the brightest, vivid colours I could.  My favourite set was a bright fushia.  If I had to work nights, I was going to be cheery.

Sometimes I'm amazed my uniforms lasted this long...  :hehe: Our hospital only has navy blue scrubs, worse luck.  :( But still, lovely and comfy in the summer!

Double post auto-merged: February 04, 2015, 09:24:17 PM

Quote from: SophieChloe on February 04, 2015, 08:56:21 PM
Quote from: x-Goody2Shoes-x on February 04, 2015, 09:37:38 AM
@SophieChloe  I live in Birmingham at the moment, but it's just for the next few years, while I finish my degree and settle into a job. Don't think I'll be sticking around here forever!
I understand.  Birmingham has its charms, but not an area I would choose to live in fulltime.

Quote from: x-Goody2Shoes-x on February 04, 2015, 10:42:22 AM
Thanks @tiaras  :coy: I'm training to be a midwife!  :D
I'm so jealous! @x-Goody2Shoes-x I would love to have gone down that path. 

"One Born Every Minute" gets me every time  :lovestars:   You must have seen many births, G2S?   I would have thought you have?    To be part of that process must be beyond magical.

I've delivered 28 :D I absolutely love it, no other job in the world would have me up at 5AM! :wub: Sounds cheesy, but it's such a privilege to be there. Even if our uniforms are the most unflattering things in the world...  :wink:
"But as the years went on, I realised that all I really want to be, all told, is a human. Just a productive, honest, courteously treated human. One of 'The Guys'. But with REALLY amazing hair."

Jenee

Welcome to the forum!!  It's great that you found a job you are passionate about. :)
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

x-Goody2Shoes-x

Quote from: Jenee on February 05, 2015, 11:22:37 AM
Welcome to the forum!!  It's great that you found a job you are passionate about. :)

Thank you!  :happy:
"But as the years went on, I realised that all I really want to be, all told, is a human. Just a productive, honest, courteously treated human. One of 'The Guys'. But with REALLY amazing hair."

Jennifer

Hi x-Goody2Shoes-x!  Welcome to this forum. I hope you will enjoy it here.

"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK

Quote from: x-Goody2Shoes-x on February 05, 2015, 06:21:18 PM

Are there good job prospects for mid-wives in the UK and/or European Union? Personally I did consider going with a mid-wife when I was pregnant with my first but since I was 35 at the time, I was concerned that there could be some issues due to my age.

x-Goody2Shoes-x

Quote from: Jennifer on February 06, 2015, 12:29:12 PM
Hi x-Goody2Shoes-x!  Welcome to this forum. I hope you will enjoy it here.

Thanks @Jennifer!  :)

Double post auto-merged: February 09, 2015, 05:52:39 PM

Quote from: TLLK on February 08, 2015, 11:22:08 PM
Quote from: x-Goody2Shoes-x on February 05, 2015, 06:21:18 PM

Are there good job prospects for mid-wives in the UK and/or European Union? Personally I did consider going with a mid-wife when I was pregnant with my first but since I was 35 at the time, I was concerned that there could be some issues due to my age.

There are very good job prospects in the UK and EU for midwives, although here in Britain we're still short of 5000 midwives than would be ideal. However for the last five years employment rate from my university for student midwives has been 100% in the first year post university.

Whereabouts are you from, @TLLK ? I would recommend midwives any time for the care whilst pregnant, though here in the UK it is recommended you be cared for by consultants if you are considered to be a high risk pregnancy. Whilst being 35 during your first pregnancy can be tricky, I wouldn't consider that alone to be an enormous medical risk factor. However there are other factors to take into account, such as personal comfort.  :nod:

TLLK

Hi there! I can see there is obviously a need for midwives so you've chosen a field with excellent prospects for employment.
I'm from Southern California and at 51 those child bearing days are in the past now. I ended up giving birth to two VERY large babies girl-9lb. 3oz and boy-10lb. 3oz. The first was a breech and my water had broken so my ob opted for a C-section. My second was a scheduled C-section and my ob mentioned that with my pelvis size a VBAC was not an option.

I'm not sure how it is in the UK but the mid-wives I've spoken to have stated that if they see any sign of an excessive weight gain, possibility of gestational diabetes or any other factors they will refer you to an OB. My sister is a Type 1 diabetic so I was being watched closely for gestational diabetes.

x-Goody2Shoes-x

Quote from: TLLK on February 09, 2015, 07:42:39 PM
Hi there! I can see there is obviously a need for midwives so you've chosen a field with excellent prospects for employment.
I'm from Southern California and at 51 those child bearing days are in the past now. I ended up giving birth to two VERY large babies girl-9lb. 3oz and boy-10lb. 3oz. The first was a breech and my water had broken so my ob opted for a C-section. My second was a scheduled C-section and my ob mentioned that with my pelvis size a VBAC was not an option.

I'm not sure how it is in the UK but the mid-wives I've spoken to have stated that if they see any sign of an excessive weight gain, possibility of gestational diabetes or any other factors they will refer you to an OB. My sister is a Type 1 diabetic so I was being watched closely for gestational diabetes.

You'd think so, but the Government won't open another 5000 positions due to funding cuts  :thumbsdown: But that's a whole other rant...

Pelvis size not being an option for VBAC?  :hmm: Interesting, I've not heard of that reasoning before. I hope you don't think I'm prying, I'm just wondering if it's due to change of practice in the interim years, culture clash, or me being an ignorant wee student  :flower: To the textbooks I go!

Diabetes is definitely a factor to go under consultant led care, as for obesity, although that is problematic, it's more as you stated, the potential for diabetes, thrombosis, anaesthesia not working etc. We have to take ourselves a VERY detailed medical history!  :wink:

SophieChloe

Interesting chat....however, maybe take this to PM?  Cheers  :hug: :hug:
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

marine2109

Orchid

I'm fashionably late in welcoming you to RI, @x-Goody2Shoes-x   :boredatwork:
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil