Westminster Hall

Started by LouisFerdinand, September 01, 2017, 12:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Westminster Hall was the setting for the trial of Sir Thomas More in 1535, the trial of the Gunpowder Conspirators in 1606, and the trial of King Charles I in 1649.

Curryong

Yes, it's a very old historically significant place alright, and usually kept quite bare! At times in its early history it was used as law courts and scenes of meetings between the King and his advisers, and early parliaments. It's probably the most important bit of the old Palace of Westminster that is left. When the old Houses of Parliament were pretty well gutted by fire in 1834 the people fighting the fire were on the roof of Westminster Hall for hours trying to save its ancient timbers from the flames. And succeeded, thank God.

Although the old Houses of Parliament were a pretty shocking mish mash of old and new I'm always sad that so much was lost in that fire. The historic tapestries of the Armada that hung in the Commons and reputedly would sway in the breeze like they were real galleons, for instance, and the Painted Chamber where Edward the Confessor had died. That room remained after the fire but was so water and smoke damaged that they decided it couldn't be conserved. I think if that happened today, there'd be a different decision! Anyway, it and the rest of the ruins were pulled down and the new Palace of Westminster arose, though it took a very long time.