The Duke of Kent to visit Victoria

Started by snokitty, April 21, 2015, 08:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

Royalty to visit Victoria | Daily Mail Online
The Duke of Kent will visit the Shrine of Remembrance during a brief visit to Melbourne.

The 79-year-old, also known as Prince Edward of Kent, is the cousin of Queen Elizabeth and the grandchild of King George V and Queen Mary.

He will lay a wreath, in memory of fallen soldiers, at the shrine on Tuesday.

The Duke will also visit the Abbotsford Convent Trust, attend a special performance by Song Room, visit the Synchrotron and John Monash Science School and address a lunch meeting of the Australian British Chamber of Commerce during his two-day stay in Melbourne.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

HereditaryPrincess

It seems that Australia has received quite a few royal visits in the past couple of years. I wonder if Prince Harry will join the Duke of Kent for the Anzac Day services?

It also appears that he has recovered fully after his admission to hospital for an operation on his hip after he'd had an accident at Balmoral a few weeks ago.

snokitty

Harry will be with Charles for Anzac Day Services.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

HereditaryPrincess

@snokitty, thank you for the information on Harry's whereabouts for Anzac Day. :flower: I haven't been following Harry's time in Australia that much, so forgive me for asking, but are Harry and Charles going to be attending the service in Sydney or elsewhere?

snokitty

@HereditaryPrincess   They will be in Turkey.

Harry will be back in the UK this week end for the London Marathon because he is their Patron. He will be back in Australia on Monday.

HereditaryPrincess

@snokitty, thanks. :)

I read on another forum last night that the Duke of Kent is already in Australia, and he has visited a war memorial already.

snokitty

Duke of Kent to visit Australia for Anzac Day commemorations

QuoteLast year, Canberra was host to some very special guests when The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge took part the Anzac Day events in the city. Their visit was an iconic one – it marked the first time that members of the Royal Family attended the commemorative service in nearly half a century.

Now, the Australian capital will be welcoming yet another Royal visitor. The Duke of Kent will pay a visit to Canberra and lay a wreath at the Australian War Memorial on April 25, to commemorate Anzac Day.

Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand. It was initially meant to commemorate only those men who fought during the Gallipoli Campaign. It's now marked in honour of all the men from Australia and New Zealand who lost their lives while fighting for their country.

TLLK

Quote from: HereditaryPrincess on April 22, 2015, 08:43:04 PM
@snokitty, thanks. :)

I read on another forum last night that the Duke of Kent is already in Australia, and he has visited a war memorial already.
Seems that he's made a full recovery if he's in Australia.

snokitty

Prince Edward, Duke of Kent lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown... News Photo | Getty Images

QuotePrince Edward, Duke of Kent (C) lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier along side Deputy Opposition leader Tanya Plibersek and Chris Finlayson Attorney-General of New Zealand at the Australian War Memorial on April 25, 2015 in Canberra, Australia. Australians are celebrating the centenary of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corp (ANZAC) landing on the shores of Gallipoli on April 25, 1915, during World War 1. Anzac day is a national holiday in Australia, marked by a dawn service held during the time of the original Gallipoli landing and commemorated with ceremonies and parades throughout the day.

snokitty

The National Arboretum gets the royal treatment with the Duke of Kent's visit
The Duke of Kent, Prince Edward, walked the heights of the National Arboretum on Sunday morning alongside prominent green-thumbs and ACT Minister for Municipal Services Shane Rattenbury.

The Duke, who was visiting Canberra to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Anzac Day, signed the arboretum's visitors book before pausing to inspect a tree planted by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge a year ago.

While Canberra welcomed Prince Edward, his family were looking after final preparations for the birth of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's second child.

The Duke of Kent, who is a cousin of Queen Elizabeth II, was welcomed by Friends of the National Arboretum chair Jocelyn Plovits and spent several minutes inspecting the Hawthorn variety of bonsai.

Shannon Young, the assistant curator of the National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia, said the Duke had an impressive knowledge of bonsai and recognised several species.

"He mentioned that he had seen the bonsai in Japan and he commented that it was extraordinary that Australia had its own eucalyptus bonsai collection," he said.

As the president of Commonwealth War Graves Commission, the Duke also viewed the Lone Pine plantings at the arboretum

Mr Rattenbury said he was pleased to see the Duke enjoying himself and appreciating the role of the arboretum in Canberra.

"He really had an appreciation for the arboretum and all the effort that gone into it by volunteers. He was also very taken back with the playground here and seeing all the children having such a good time," he said.

"It's an adventurous playground and he commented on the fact that children these days are perhaps wrapped up in cotton wool.

"He was pleased to see something that has an element of risk and kids have to push themselves a little bit."