Is Kate a Role Model?

Started by PrincessOfPeace, April 23, 2014, 04:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eri

Quote from: cinrit on April 24, 2014, 04:45:10 PM
^^ The taxpayer doesn't pay for her lifestyle, so no worries there. :thumbsup:

Cindy
Let's see she doesn't work , Willy doesn't work , Chuck hasn't worked a day in his live to earn money so I gotta ask where do you think the money comes from ...

Limabeany

Quote from: Lady Adams on April 24, 2014, 11:55:21 PM
I'm so glad I don't have a daughter. I do have a son, a furry puppy, and he can look up to Lupo. Whatevs. :teehee:
I would need to interview Lupo first...  :happy15: Does he play fetch? Is he mindful of his pees and poos? Does he cuddle? Does he like cats? (Toffee asked me to put that in.)  :orchid: On a scale of 1 to 10, how would he rate bath time?  :hmm: Where does he stand on sharing his toys? :Jen:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Eri

^ I will allow my son Dante to look up to Lupo too  :nod: .

Blue Clover

The comments on this thread are excellent! I like that people are addressing the point and goals of feminism. I also like that we should be aware of the way different values and expectations, in families, communities, and cultures, shape our personal and private goals in life. Kate is a product of her environment and made choices accordingly, choices also shaped by her personality.

georgiana996

Quote from: sandy on May 23, 2014, 01:47:28 PM
Quote from: georgiana996 on May 23, 2014, 07:05:24 AM
Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on May 23, 2014, 12:35:22 AM
Quote from: cinrit on May 22, 2014, 10:37:47 PM
^^ I agree ... I don't think Kate is strong and secure about who she is because she's married to William.  I think she's married to William because he liked that she's strong and secure about who she is.

Cindy

Not to get off track but it reminds me of what George Michael said about Kate ""William has met and fallen in love with someone who has the strength of character to be able to deal with the sort of things that she couldn't"

Singer George Michael has declared what few of us doubted - that Kate Middleton is stronger than her late mother-in-law Princess Diana.--- From The Daily Beast

:goodpost: :goodpost: yes .Her strength of character makes her a very good woman to look up to .
About the ring , I have always wondered if princess diana had a will or something that said first married gets the ring or my oldest DIL gets the ring because lets get real prince William and Harry had this planned out for a while :D

Sorry I don't see her as a role model.  I think she lucked out after putting her life on hold for 10 years. She also had her parents supporting her and was never really on her own. I see her as an anachronism where women got their degrees in MRS and never used them. Kate is OK generally but role model? And having her bolstered at the expense of Diana. I don't think so.

Maybe George Michael is bucking for a knighthood and he can't get anything from Diana now.  I would wager if Diana were alive he'd be flattering her

Kate has been pampered and coddled gets vacations and does the very minimum of work. What is Michael gushing over? Her hair and her clothes? She has done nothing significant really. Diana died at 36 and did a lot more than Kate did. She also got the praise of Mother Theresa and Nelson Mandela. I would think those two carry more weight than George Michael. Nelson Mandela wrote a preface to the book about her charities that came out few years ago. 

Knocking Diana to praise Kate is wrong on many levels. Diana was a worker and did not hide out even though she could have been excused since she dealt with a  difficult marriage, stress which brought out eating disorders and post partum depression. With all that thrown at her she managed to do her appearances and eventually became he own person and got the eating disorder under control. She was also a wonderful mother to Will and Harry and they have said so.

Comparing Diana to Kate who has been in the royal family only three years is ridiculous. IMO.

You know what I think and its kate is a good role model irrespective of what you say  :therethere:
Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

Limabeany

Why is she a good role model? I have always asked this question...  :blank:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

sandy

I don't get why she's called a role model either.

TLLK

Role models differ from person to person. IMO it is very subjective.

Limabeany

There should be a reason why any particular person considers her a role model, as subjective as it may be to others, so I ask again, what makes Kate Middleton a good role model?

TLLK

For a freshman entering high school, they might consider Kate a role model for balancing sports and school. She earned the necessary grades with her chemistry, biology and art history A levels to be admitted to two apparently highly thought of universities.  (I'm not familiar with the amount of work required for an advanced level in the UK, but in the U.S. chemistry and biology would not be considered "easy" courses.) Also many girls begin to shy away from the sciences in high school for a variety of reasons. (Not wanting to be seen as intelligent is unfortunately one of those reasons. :()

sandy

People study to get into a good Uni and generally use the degree they work so hard to get. Kate did not use her degree and she had ten years to do it--she used itto get the degree in MRS.

DaisyMeRollin

Quote from: TLLK on May 27, 2014, 03:08:44 PM
For a freshman entering high school, they might consider Kate a role model for balancing sports and school. She earned the necessary grades with her chemistry, biology and art history A levels to be admitted to two apparently highly thought of universities.  (I'm not familiar with the amount of work required for an advanced level in the UK, but in the U.S. chemistry and biology would not be considered "easy" courses.) Also many girls begin to shy away from the sciences in high school for a variety of reasons. (Not wanting to be seen as intelligent is unfortunately one of those reasons. :()

I never took her A-Levels into account. I suppose that is an achievement worth noting.

It's hard to say that girls "shy away" from sciences in high school when there are, at the least, three years of required sciences. This is simply anecdotal, but in the past six years, I've noticed that there are more girls that opt into Advanced Placement Biology and Anatomy and Physiology than boys. Chemistry and Physics is a toss up.

Quote from: sandy on May 27, 2014, 05:25:10 PM
People study to get into a good Uni and generally use the degree they work so hard to get. Kate did not use her degree and she had ten years to do it--she used itto get the degree in MRS.

Then again, as Sandy mentioned, she did pick a degree that is widely deemed useless, if not impractical.
"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

AyVey

Of course Kate is a role model!!!!

Absolutely anyone and everyone who is famous for being someone wife or mother or GF or having a sex tape or famous daddy or a reality show or getting pregnant in her teens etc etc etc are somebody's role model and have fans. I'm sure even bloody Chris Brown and Lindsay Lohan have fans and people who consider them as 'role models'. I bet there are a lot of people who considers Osama Bin Laden as role model.

There is role model for everyone in this world, it really depends on what you are looking in life or what you want to achieve.

If you don't want to be criticized at all then say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.....

TLLK

Quote from: DaisyMeRollin on May 27, 2014, 06:31:12 PM
Quote from: TLLK on May 27, 2014, 03:08:44 PM

I never took her A-Levels into account. I suppose that is an achievement worth noting.

It's hard to say that girls "shy away" from sciences in high school when there are, at the least, three years of required sciences. This is simply anecdotal, but in the past six years, I've noticed that there are more girls that opt into Advanced Placement Biology and Anatomy and Physiology than boys. Chemistry and Physics is a toss up.

Quote from: sandy on May 27, 2014, 05:25:10 PM

Then again, as Sandy mentioned, she did pick a degree that is widely deemed useless, if not impractical.
If more girls are opting to take AP science courses then that is a victory worth celebrating!!! Woo! Woo!!

(My daughter will be a freshman in Sept. and is registered for honors biology and geometry. She considered honors English, but also wants to run cross-country this fall  and swim in the spring. After a discussion with her counselor she's decided to take regular English, but knows that AP classes are in her future. Those sophmore and junior years can be very busy.)

Limabeany

And, the most exciting, TLLK!  :happy20:

TLLK

Can't believe that we're here already. She was just starting pre-school not that long ago. :hug:

Limabeany

You are going to have as much fun with this stage of her life as she is, probably more! Teen Beat here she comes!  :happy15: :hug:

TLLK

Don't you dare send her a subscription!!!!! :lol:

DaisyMeRollin

Off topic, but that's exciting for your daughter! Before you know it, she'll be working on her college applications.
"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Lothwen

To me, a role model is somebody that I would try to emulate, and whose achievements I would also want to achieve. 

So what has Kate done?

Well, she graduated from University, but so have millions of other people, so she wouldn't be my role model for that.
She married William.  Again, millions of people get married.
But he's a Prince.  Well, if that's important to you, then I guess she'd be a role model for you.  That's not so important to me.
She wears nice clothes.  I already do that, so I don't need to look to her to know how to dress.

All in all, I'd have to say that Kate isn't a role model for me, but I'm sure there are people out there who think she is.  Unfortunately, they seem to think she is simply by who she married, and not because of anything she's done on her own merit.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

bluhare

Quote from: cinrit on April 23, 2014, 12:01:44 PM
The intention of women's liberation (I was there), was to have the right to live our lives as we saw fit, without being judged by anyone else.   That was the intention.  If it's changed over the years, I didn't hear about it. :shrug:

Cindy

It was about equal pay for equal work, the ability to ascend the career ladder if you wanted to without men sexually harassing you on the way, about not being a second class citizen.  If you were there, you might remember being sexually harassed by men in the workplace, having to take less money because you weren't the head of your household and were only working for "pin money", being told you couldn't look at a management position because you were going to stay home and have babies, being told you asked for it if you dressed provocatively, and were asking to be raped.  Please don't trivialize it by saying it was so Kate Middleton could wait around for a Prince, marry him, and spend her time decorating and shopping.  That is indeed her prerogative; however, it doesn't have much to do with women's liberation.  The reverse in fact.

Sorry if I'm a bit grrrrr on this one.  Big hot button of mine.

cinrit

Yes, I was there, and I would never trivialize it.  However, women's lib was about much more than equal pay for equal work.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

bluhare

Hi Cindy,

Yes, it was about more than that, which is why I used other examples.  Back then, Kate's "career path" was pretty much the only one women had (minus the money, title and power, that is).

cinrit

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

Quote from: DaisyMeRollin on May 28, 2014, 01:31:45 AM
Off topic, but that's exciting for your daughter! Before you know it, she'll be working on her college applications.
Thank you DaisyMeRollin. She just mentioned yesterday that she's excited for it all to begin, but is feeling less anxious than she did when she began middle school.