Duchess of Cambridge - Malta Visit

Started by cinrit, July 06, 2014, 01:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HistoryGirl

Why? Is there something wrong with her name?

In All I Do

Quote from: HistoryGirl on August 23, 2014, 03:31:28 AM
I agree with Adrienne, the media chooses which angle to play off. That being said, I'm not quite sure why it matters so much lol its not like they're calling her by a derogatory remark

I don't know that I think it matters so much, really. I definitely think that people do need to be aware that it's happening, as part of a critical reading of any source. The words we use are incredibly powerful. Labels mean something, which is why disenfranchised groups often work so hard to "take back" derogatory labels and why people are still paid to write even though we have computers that can do it (looking at you, buzzfeed).

I spent almost half an hour on a conference call today working out the wording on a single line of text that pops up when a certain set of conditions occur on mobile devices; it needed to be both informative and cover two different scenarios that could each trigger it.  If I think that much about the precise words to use to create a specific effect, then so, I suspect, do the people shaping the worldviews of the news consuming public.

HistoryGirl

I don't know that I'm so much worried about what Kate is called so much as what she accomplishes.

In All I Do

And I'm not really worried about either; I just want to live in a world in which people are more aware of where and from whom they're getting their news, and what angle those people are trying to sell. :D

HistoryGirl

Unfortunately, the majority of people don't know the facts behind the subjects which forces them to believe what they read, it is quite sad.

Limabeany

Quote from: Curryong on August 23, 2014, 02:20:21 AM
The Press apparently think the public are dumb and don't know who the Duchess of Cambridge is! I think it will be easier for Kate when she becomes Princess of Wales. Enough time will have passed for her not to be confused with that other Prss of Wales (Camilla not taking the title has helped in that regard) although we will probably then get references to 'Princess Kate' as time goes on!
I think Lady Adams is up to something. I don't think she will be called anything else until she is seen to have become someone else by her actions. But, I don't see why people should be up in arms as if her family name were derogatory simply because she has a title that comes with a job she barely performs.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

tiaras

Kate is the perfect example of a wasted life  :no:
I used to like her in 2006 -007 and then after that time it got old  :blank:

amabel

it does nto MATTER what she does, her tittle is now Duchess of Cambridge and its rude not to use it.

cinrit

I agree with Amabel.  It's not so much that she's called "Middleton", which isn't bad in and of itself ... it's a matter of respect.  Use the correct name, just as we want our correct names used.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Canuck

Personally, I don't mind when she's called Kate Middleton.  If something formal is being written about her, obviously Duchess of Cambridge is the correct way to address her.  But I view this like when articles just call the Duke of Cambridge "Will" or the Prince of Wales "Charles".  I think people still use Kate Middleton because just Kate could be confusing--there are a lot of famous Kates, so if you want to immediately indicate it's her, Kate Middleton is the fastest way to do that since everyone knows her as that from pre-wedding.  If she had a more unusual name--like Camilla--then I think the press would just call her that.

amabel

Quote from: Canuck on August 23, 2014, 11:42:13 AM
Personally, I don't mind when she's called Kate Middleton.  If something formal is being written about her, obviously Duchess of Cambridge is the correct way to address her.  But I view this like when articles just call the Duke of Cambridge "Will" or the Prince of Wales "Charles".  I think people still use Kate Middleton because just Kate could be confusing--there are a lot of famous Kates, so if you want to immediately indicate it's her, Kate Middleton is the fastest way to do that since everyone knows her as that from pre-wedding.  If she had a more unusual name--like Camilla--then I think the press would just call her that.
I must say that there are wrorse "rude names" used by the press and people about royals and others, Ive seena few like "Chuck" and so on, but I don't like it. and to put it this way, I might be the laziest person alive in my job, but that does not affect my right to be called "Mrs - my husbands' name" if I choose to use that name.  There's no other duchess of Cambridge...
I've certainly been annoyed at one place I was in for many years when the people there just "decided" to use a short version of my first name..and it was impossible to insist on them using my full name, which was what I liked...

tiaras

Quote from: cate1949 on August 23, 2014, 03:28:48 AM
this looks like a very interesting trip - she actually should enjoy it - Malta is gorgeous - the Knights of Malta are a lovely hunky group of guys - serious lookers - I know I am so trivial :blush:

I know Di did solo foreign tours - but this seems like it would have been a great trip for the two of them

I expect a great dress to match the gala atmosphere of this party -

Oh yeah , I'm looking forward to it . Hopefully william and kate will up their workload gradually  ;)

cinrit

QuotePalace Source: Kate's Middleton's Solo Trip Is 'Seminal Moment' in Life as a Royal

Princess Kate will be queen for a day. Well, two days – she's stepping into Queen Elizabeth's shoes to represent her on a foreign trip.  Kate, 32, will leave baby Prince George at home and head to Malta in September for a two-day visit.

"This is a seminal moment for her, when she will be showing herself to be stateswoman in her own right," a palace source tells PEOPLE.

The Duchess of Cambridge was asked by the Queen, 88, to represent the royal family at the Mediterranean island's 50th anniversary of independence celebration, which involves the kind of royal engagements that she would normally do together with Prince William.

Kate will be calling on Malta's president, Marie Louise Coleiro Preca, and is also giving a speech, which insiders say she is "nervous" about.  Kate has made two speeches on foreign soil before, while touring Malaysia in 2012 and in Australia this year, but this is her first speech on behalf of the Queen.

More: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20395222_20846245,00.html

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteUpdated - Kate Middleton will stay at San Anton Palace and visit Valletta, the Grand Harbour and Vittoriosa during her short visit to Malta next month to mark the fiftieth anniversary of Independence.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge will be in Malta representing the Queen. This will be her first official solo overseas trip.

The programme was revealed by the UK media late yesterday, while the Department of Information in Malta announced it this afternoon.
More: Updated - Kate Middleton's Malta programme revealed - timesofmalta.com

KaTerina Montague

Kate has been known as Kate Middleton for almost a decade before she got married, it is easier to keep referring to her as that because people know who that is after so many years. I usually see her name and title together in articles. I've also seen Camilla still called Camilla Parker Bowles or Duchess of Cornwall the former Camilla Parker Bowles. I also believe calling Diana Princess Diana was wrong but the media always did it.
As for Kate's speech making if the only problem is her looking down then I think she is doing quite well.

cinrit

With the exception of well-seasoned speakers, most speakers do look down at their notes from time to time (assuming they don't have a teleprompter). 

4 Common Ways To Remember Material - presentation skills

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteThe Duchess of Cambridge will be guest of honour at a spectacular celebration in Malta next month, on her first solo foreign tour on behalf of the Queen.
Kate will leave her young son, Prince George, behind – as well as her husband, Prince William - for two days of official events to mark the 50th anniversary of Malta's  independence from the UK.
It is a sign of her confidence in her grandson's wife that the monarch has asked the Duchess to travel to the island which holds a special place in her heart.
As young newly-weds, the Queen and Prince Philip - who was then serving in HMS Chequers with the Royal Navy's Mediterranean Fleet - lived together on Malta for almost two years.
The Queen considers their time there as one of the happiest periods of her life as it was their only experience of living like an 'ordinary' couple.
More: Duchess Kate to leave Prince George back home, to be taken care of by Prince William - The Malta Independent

wannable

Why is Kate being singled out for checking her notes, even if the speech is deemed easy? The born British Royals look at their notes with about the same frequency! And have their nervous soothing ticks and tricks to calm down. The latest speech I heard from a born royal he said in a span of 2 minutes the word "behind me" about 10 times. And every 3 words checked notes for something so simple as presenting the real speaker of the event.

The point is for her to be the best out of the lot? I wouldn't mind that, it would be great for her to strive to improve.

I think her speech will have to do with the Independence Day, sending the best wishes from Her Majesty and an anecdote of PP and Q during those two best years of their lives.

amabel

Quote from: KaTerina Montague on August 23, 2014, 02:26:16 PM
Kate has been known as Kate Middleton for almost a decade before she got married, it is easier to keep referring to her as that because people know who that is after so many years. I usually see her name and title together in articles. I've also seen Camilla still called Camilla Parker Bowles or Duchess of Cornwall the former Camilla Parker Bowles. I also believe calling Diana Princess Diana was wrong but the media always did it.
As for Kate's speech making if the only problem is her looking down then I think she is doing quite well.
And it is rude to call Camila Cam Parker Bowles.  Calling Diana Princess Di was wrong but it wasn't referring to her as Diana Spencer. No idea what K's speech making is like so can't commnet.

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: wannable on August 23, 2014, 04:07:58 PM
Why is Kate being singled out for checking her notes, even if the speech is deemed easy? The born British Royals look at their notes with about the same frequency! And have their nervous soothing ticks and tricks to calm down. The latest speech I heard from a born royal he said in a span of 2 minutes the word "behind me" about 10 times. And every 3 words checked notes for something so simple as presenting the real speaker of the event.

The point is for her to be the best out of the lot? I wouldn't mind that, it would be great for her to strive to improve.

I think her speech will have to do with the Independence Day, sending the best wishes from Her Majesty and an anecdote of PP and Q during those two best years of their lives.

:goodpost:

tiaras

Her social skills are very weak for someone from her walk of life  :P  :happy15: its not just when giving speeches , the bar in general has been set low for kate  <_< people are wondering what in the world is wrong with her .
Her interactions with people and the things she's said sound so utterly ridiculous  :no: can you smell the smell by smelling it  :censored2:

I swear if she has an upskirt for the 6 th time this trip I think even the press will make fun of her and once that starts it will be fergie-esque .

Another example of a silly thing she's said

I met the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) afterwards and she said: 'Oh, I know who you are now! Although it's very strange - now you have got facial hair. Some of the people who had facial hair in the film don't have facial hair now.' I guess she doesn't hang around actors very much."

Tom Hiddleston

I dread to think what she said to the Obamas, HM, & other heads of state.   She really has been infantilised by her family & PW

amabel

She is just not a very birhgt or hard working girl...I  mean if she did say stuff like this..

tiaras

Yup william and harry make witty jokes , kate on the other hand  :angel:
Ross Lydall - Hirsutes you, sir! Kate puzzled by War Horse actor's close shave : Ross Lydall | Blogs | Evening Standard
here is the article .^
And Tom Hiddleston is a Cambridge graduate , he studied at Eton alongside william and harry , he comes from the same walk of life that kate does . Its almost embarrassing .

Double post auto-merged: August 23, 2014, 05:53:13 PM

Well Tom Hiddleston is a Cambridge graduate so talking to her must have been    :random39:
In an interview recently when asked about William and Kate (as he has been playing Henry V on the BBC) he said in a dead pan tone "God Save The Queen" which is made all the more intriguing as he went to Eton with William.

The recent centerpoint gala which kate didnt attend surprisingly didnt invite him but only invited Benedict Cumberbach fellow eton grad ...

cinrit

What's wrong with her telling someone that she didn't recognize him with facial hair? :hmm:

Cindy

HistoryGirl

Quote from: tiaras on August 23, 2014, 05:21:26 PM
Her social skills are very weak for someone from her walk of life  :P  :happy15: its not just when giving speeches , the bar in general has been set low for kate  <_< people are wondering what in the world is wrong with her .
Her interactions with people and the things she's said sound so utterly ridiculous  :no: can you smell the smell by smelling it  :censored2:

I swear if she has an upskirt for the 6 th time this trip I think even the press will make fun of her and once that starts it will be fergie-esque .

Another example of a silly thing she's said

I met the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) afterwards and she said: 'Oh, I know who you are now! Although it's very strange - now you have got facial hair. Some of the people who had facial hair in the film don't have facial hair now.' I guess she doesn't hang around actors very much."

Tom Hiddleston

I dread to think what she said to the Obamas, HM, & other heads of state.   She really has been infantilised by her family & PW

Lol that's hilarious. She seems to be someone that isn't very good at socializing. Pippa seems to be the social, inviting one.