Earl and Countess of Wessex To Visit Canada September 2014

Started by cinrit, August 08, 2014, 12:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuotePrince Edward, Earl of Wessex, and his wife Sophie, Countess of Wessex, will visit B.C. next month to present awards of merit to youth in Victoria and Kelowna.

The Queen's youngest son and his wife will visit Canada between Sept. 12 and 20.

They will be in Victoria Sept. 13 to present 85 youth from Victoria, Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland with the gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award. Gold is the highest level of the award, which challenges youth ages 14 to 24 to complete a program of activities that include service, skill, physical recreation, and adventure.

The award was founded by Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh, in 1956 and was started in Canada in 1963.

More: Prince Edward coming to Victoria to honour B.C. youth - Local - Times Colonist

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

PrincessOfPeace

SophieChloe

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

Perhaps because they're delivering awards on behalf of HM rather than just taking a tour of the province. Only thing that I can think of to explain the difference.

cinrit

QuoteBreak out your fascinators and be sure to practise your curtsies: Their Royal Highnesses The Earl and Countess of Wessex are set to visit B.C. this September.

Prince Edward, the third son and fourth and youngest child of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, will be accompanied by his wife, Countess Sophie Rhys-Jones, during a working visit in B.C. scheduled for Sept. 12 to 16.

Together, the couple will attend a number of Duke of Edinburgh ceremonies in Victoria and Vancouver.

More: Prince Edward: Earl and Countess of Wessex coming to B.C. in September

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteBreak out your fascinators and be sure to practise your curtsies: Their Royal Highnesses The Earl and Countess of Wessex are set to visit B.C. this September.

Prince Edward, the third son and fourth and youngest child of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, will be accompanied by his wife, Countess Sophie Rhys-Jones, during a working visit in B.C. scheduled for Sept. 12 to 16.

Together, the couple will attend a number of Duke of Edinburgh ceremonies in Victoria and Vancouver.

The 50-year-old earl, who is eighth in line for the Throne, and the countess will also visit Victoria's Government House, The Children's Health Foundation of Vancouver Island's Jeneece Place, the University of Victoria, the Vancouver Art Gallery, and the Blusson Spinal Cord Centre, hosted by Rick Hansen.
Prince Edward: Earl and Countess of Wessex coming to B.C. in September

cinrit

QuotePrince Edward and Sophie Wessex Get In Touch with Nature as They Explore Riverside Trail in Canada

Prince Edward the Earl of Wessex, and his wife Sophie, Countess of Wessex, got in touch with nature as they explored the TCT Coho River Trail in North Vancouver, British Columbia, on Sunday.

The royal couple, who are on a five-day visit to Canada, looked more casual than usual as they explored the nature trail.  Sophie, 49, looked chic in a navy suit with her hair pulled back into a low bun. Edward, 50, looked casual in cream chinos and a blue Ralph Lauren shirt.

They toured the Capilano River Hatchery and walked a section of the Trans Canada Trail through Capilano River Regional Park, taking in the picturesque scenery.

Earlier in the day, Sophie paid a visit to the Blusson Spinal Cord Centre at Vancouver General Hospital.

More: Prince Edward and Sophie Wessex get in touch with nature as they explore riverside trail in Canada | Mail Online

Cindy

sara8150

Macrobug

Royal Family member to visit KI First Nation, North Bay - Thunder Bay - CBC News

Well, I'll be darned.  Not only is North Bay in my neck of the woods, KI First Nations was the first community I worked in when I first started working up north.  What an amazing thing for KI.  She will definitely have an eye opener.  But it is a good community and is really trying hard to improve the lives of the members.  I am looking forward to seeing the news coverage  (And to see if I recognize anyone!  I am sure I will as I know  Chief Donny and she will be going into the health centre where I worked) 

And I may just have to drive up to North Bay on Friday.   :P

GNU Terry Pratchett

cinrit

TLLK

Lady Adams

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Macrobug

Hard-luck aboriginal community to get unusual Royal visit ? the first since its treaty was signed in 1929 | National Post

This article shows some photos of KI.  Sophie will certainly be having an unusual experience.  I really am chaffed about her going there.  Most of the news coming out of the north focuses on negative topics; to see KI shown in a good light is great.  I am so happy for the residents!  :P

BTW - in the aerial shot of the village the biggest blue building is the arena, the smaller blue building beside it is the community centre and the L shaped building with light blue/gray roof is the nursing station (where I worked).  The hotel is the two buildings together with the brown and blue roof.  The yellow building is the Northern Store.
GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

Wow! This is remote. I sometimes forget how vast Canada really is except when looking at a map/globe. This will be a very different trip for Sophie, but I'm glad that she showed an interest in visiting a First Nation's community.

MB-Did you do a little of everything at the clinic/hospital when you worked there?

Macrobug

yep.  Even birthin' babies.  They were building the community centre between the arena and health centre while I was there.  During construction the framed-in building collapsed.  They were starting to put the trusses up so when the building came down there were about 10 men that rode the structure down.  So that day we had over 20 people with a variety of injuries.  Thank goodness nothing more serious than a couple broken fingers and one broken arm but lots of cuts to suture.  There were 3 other nurses along with me.  It was a busy evening.  I hope Sophie enjoyed going through the health centre along with all the other things.  I understand that they had a community feast.  Those are always lots of fun!

I didn't get to go to see Sophie today in North Bay.  It was a private event with tickets only available to students, staff and profs at the university.  And there wasn't a walkabout.  Darn.   

Countess charms remote Ontario First Nation on unusual Royal visit, speaks of ?reconciliation? | National Post
GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

AAAWWW that's no good. :no: Sorry that it wasn't open to all.

Must have been quite the life up in a remote place.

cinrit

QuoteRoyal Visit to Remote Ontario Reserve Was 'Moving, Enlightening and Uplifting,' Countess Says

After spending two days and a cramped night on a remote aboriginal reserve, the wife of the Queen's youngest son pledged to rebuild bonds between the Royal Family and Canada's aboriginal community.

"The First Nations have a unique relationship with the Royal Family, going back many years. This relationship has continued. Even today, our Queen is referred to as the Great White Mother and the enormous respect in which she is held by the people of the First Nations remains," the Countess of Wessex said after her unusual northern Ontario visit.

More: Royal visit to remote Ontario reserve was ?moving, enlightening and uplifting,? Countess says | National Post

Cindy

Blue Clover

Macrobug, So happy Royalty is in your neck of the woods!  :thumbsup:

cinrit

QuoteFirst Nations Youngsters Thrilled with Princess Visit

It's called Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug — KI, for short.

And it's not the kind of place a lot of princesses visit.

Located 600 kilometres north of Thunder Bay on Big Trout Lake, this remote, fly-in Oji-Cree reserve hasn't always welcomed visitors.  In 2008, they tangled with a mining company prospecting on their traditional territory.

Last week, though, a high level delegation — including a real life princess — came visiting the community.

Born Sophie Rhys-Jones, her official title is so lengthy it rivals that of the reserve she was visiting. According to the Buckingham Palace website, Prince Edward's wife is: The Countess of Wessex, also known as Her Royal Highness The Princess Edward, Countess of Wessex.

More: First Nations youngsters thrilled with princess visit | Blizzard | Ontario | New

Cindy

TLLK

Living in California it's hard for me to imagine a place where fresh fruit is a rarity. I'm glad that the First Nation's community received a nutritious treat in their remote settlement when Sophie paid a visit.

Macrobug

I should pull out the photos I have of the "produce" section at the Northern Store.  One of them is a photo of a molding onion, 2 potatoes and an apple.  That was the entire display for a week.  Hard to believe but I used to phone down to Sioux Lookout to the grocery store and place my grocery list that was then put in a taxi to the airport and then sent up on the plane.  And I would go to the airport to get my groceries.   No such thing as 100 mile food.  To put that in perspective:  the distance between KI and SL is the same as the distance between Atlanta Georgia and Washington DC  or London to Edinburgh

One time there were some government workers staying at the nursing station who wanted to give us a thank you gift.  They were taken back when my answer to their question as to what would be welcomed was fruit.  And so they sent us fruit.  Several boxes of common fruits like apples and such and several flats of fruits never seen up north - papayas, mangoes, pineapple.  We had a fantastic time introducing the locals to the tropical fruits :P  It was quite the party.

Now in August there are two foods that KI has in abundance.......wild northern blueberries and raspberries.   :vday2:   Imagine a forest floor that is solid blue with large, plump amazing blueberries and bushes covered in red.   Yum.   
GNU Terry Pratchett