The Queen's Message Following Scotland's Referendum

Started by cinrit, September 19, 2014, 06:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteAfter many months of discussion, debate, and careful thought, we now know the outcome of the Referendum, and it is a result that all of us throughout the United Kingdom will respect.

For many in Scotland and elsewhere today, there will be strong feelings and contrasting emotions – among family, friends and neighbours. That, of course, is the nature of the robust democratic tradition we enjoy in this country. But I have no doubt that these emotions will be tempered by an understanding of the feelings of others.

More: http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Speechesandarticles/2014/TheQueensmessagefollowingScotlandsreferendum.aspx

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

cinrit

You're welcome, TLLK.  Behind the carefully worded statement, I wonder what she's really feeling?  Relief?

Cindy

TLLK

I believe it is relief that the union between the four nations will continue. As a woman who is half-Scot, I believe she would have been heartbroken to see the kingdom come apart.

cinrit

I agree.  The days preceding the vote had to have been very tense for her.

Cindy

SophieChloe

Oh diddums...

Life continues for her regardless.  Least the Scots had a vote!
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Curryong

I think the Queen's feeling enormous relief. If there is another referendum in about five years or so, I think she reasons that she may well be gone and not have to deal with it.

Double post auto-merged: September 20, 2014, 02:20:26 AM

Would you have liked people in England to have had a vote on this, SophieChloe?

cate1949

yes I am sure she is much relieved - surely not something the Queen wanted to happen on her watch.

So this was a released statement?  Excellent statement IMHO but how much impact if it was only a released statement?

Unfortunately the Queen will see much turmoil as this is just the beginning - now the debate - fight looks more likely - over devo max, a English parliament, Barnett formula and even a written constitution starts.

cinrit

^^ It's from the monarchy's website.  I don't know that it's intended to have an impact, or if she'd even be allowed to say anything that would have an impact.  It's just a statement from BP, which was pretty much expected.  She probably had two prepared ... one in case the vote was "Yes", and this one.

Cindy

TLLK

The voter turnout was incredible. Can't imagine a US vote receiving this much attention.

cate1949

I do think the Queen can play a legit role in soothing the troubled waters and making a case now for people getting along with one another and moving forward - that is not a political statement and is truly because of her neutrality a role she can assume that others involved cannot

cinrit

QuoteCameron: Queen 'Purred' Over Scottish Vote

David Cameron has been overheard describing how the Queen "purred" when he told her Scotland had voted No to independence.

Microphones picked up the Prime Minister telling former New York mayor Michael Bloomberg how Her Majesty reacted during their phone conversation on Friday morning.

He said: "The definition of relief is being the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and ringing the Queen and saying 'It's alright, it's okay'. That was something.

"She purred down the line."

After a few seconds where the recording is not clear, Mr Cameron added: "But it should never have been that close.

More: PM: Queen 'Purred Down Line' Over Scots Vote

Cindy

HistoryGirl

David Cameron sounds ridiculous; as if the trouble is past.

TLLK

Quote from: cinrit on September 23, 2014, 04:12:47 PM
QuoteCameron: Queen 'Purred' Over Scottish Vote

David Cameron has been overheard describing how the Queen "purred" when he told her Scotland had voted No to independence.

Microphones picked up the Prime Minister telling former New York mayor Michael Bloomberg how Her Majesty reacted during their phone conversation on Friday morning.

He said: "The definition of relief is being the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and ringing the Queen and saying 'It's alright, it's okay'. That was something.

"She purred down the line."

After a few seconds where the recording is not clear, Mr Cameron added: "But it should never have been that close.

More: PM: Queen 'Purred Down Line' Over Scots Vote

Cindy
Woops!! Awkward.

Eri

cinrit

QuoteDavid Cameron: I'm extremely sorry for saying Queen 'purred' over Scottish Independence vote

David Cameron on Wednesday said that he was “extremely sorry” for revealing the contents of a private conversation with the Queen following the Scottish independence referendum.

The Prime Minister said he was “very embarrassed” he was caught on microphone saying that the Queen had “purred” when he phoned her to say that Scotland had voted No in the referendum.

He intends to make a personal apology to the Queen in Buckingham Palace. Asked if he is sorry and will now apologise to the Queen, Mr Cameron said: “Yes and yes.”

“Look, I’m very embarrassed by this. I’m extremely sorry about it,” Mr Cameron said. “It was a private conversation, but clearly a private conversation that I shouldn’t have had and won’t have again. My office has already been in touch with the Palace to make that clear and I will do so as well.”

Mr Cameron was overheard making the comments to Michael Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York, on Tuesday.  He said: “The definition of relief is being the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and ringing the Queen and saying 'It’s all right, it’s OK'. That was something. She purred down the line.”

More: David Cameron: I'm extremely sorry for saying Queen 'purred' over Scottish Independence vote - Telegraph

Cindy

HistoryGirl

cinrit

QuoteCameron to Make MORE Apologies to the Queen for Claiming She 'Purred' about Scotland Result As He Reveals He would Have Quit Over a Yes Vote

David Cameron today admitted he will have to apologise to the Queen again for claiming she 'purred' when Scots rejected independence.  He also revealed he 'contemplated' having to quit as Prime Minister if people in Scotland had voted Yes.

In an interview he said he watched the results of the historic referendum with his son Ewen on his lap wearing tartan pyjamas, feeling 'saddened' about the prospect of separation.

Mr Cameron was left red-faced after being caught on camera revealing details of his conversations with the Queen.  On a visit to New York last week, the PM was filmed boasting to former mayor Michael Bloomberg about the call he made to the Queen at Balmoral.

As the Prime Minister and Mr Bloomberg arrived for a press photo-opportunity, Mr Cameron smiled broadly as he recalled how he was able to tell the Queen it was 'all right' after the referendum resulted in a victory for the No camp.

'The definition of relief, if you are Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, is ringing up Her Majesty the Queen and saying 'Your Majesty, it is all right, it's okay',' Mr Cameron said.  'That was something. She purred down the line.'

More: Cameron to make MORE apologies to the Queen for claiming she 'purred' over Scotland result as he reveals he would have quit over a Yes vote | Daily

Cindy

HistoryGirl

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.