Charles and Camilla Tour of Canada 2014

Started by PrincessOfPeace, April 11, 2014, 10:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteThe Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will carry out a Royal Tour of Canada next month, Clarence House confirm. The royal couple will stop in Nova Scotia, Manitoba and Prince Edward Island.

This will be Charles's 17th visit to Canada and the third for Camilla. Two years the royal couple travelled to New Brunswick, Ontario and Saskatchewan on a four-day tour. The couple visited Canada in 2012 to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

"I am pleased that Their Royal Highnesses will be joining us in a few months-time, as Canada enters a five-year period of significant national celebrations," Prime Minister Stephen Harper commented in a news release.
More: Prince Charles and Camilla set for Canadian tour in May | Royal Central

sara8150

cinrit

Press Release from PoW website:

QuoteThe Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's Visit to Canada

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit three Canadian provinces, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Manitoba from 18th – 21st May 2014. Their Royal Highnesses will take part in events to mark important anniversaries of historical significance, including the centenary of World War One, and the 150th anniversary of the Charlottetown Conference in Prince Edward Island that led to the Confederation of Canada. Their programme will focus on Canadian achievement, commemorating the country's past and celebrating its future.

During the visit, The Prince and The Duchess will tour six communities: Halifax and Pictou County in Nova Scotia (18th and 19th May); Charlottetown, Bonshaw and Cornwall in Prince Edward Island (19th and 20th May) and Winnipeg in Manitoba (20th and 21st May).

More: Press release 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Jenee

Is it just me or do the royals seem to be taking a lot of trips abroad lately??
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Lady Adams

^^It feels like they are (Wessexs last month, Cambridges this, Charles/Cam next, Harry next and June)-- which is odd because there were a ton for the Jubilee, so we should be used to them. Still, it feels like a lot!
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Lothwen

I wonder if it has to do with the Queen's old age and health?  I would be surprised if she took on any more tours, and I think that the monarchy knows that there is at least some sentiment in their commonwealth countries that they are going to consider breaking away and not having a British head of state after the Queen dies.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

TLLK

I agree that there does seem to be many tours being undertaken or are in the planning stages. It does seem a bit surprising after the Windsor World Tour in 2012 for the Jubilee.  :nod:

Lady Adams

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

PrincessOfPeace

The thing to remember about tours to the realms is that the host country must first invite the royals. It isn't a case of Charles forcing himself on Canada, the Government of Canada invited him and wants him to visit.

The realms are realms for a reason. If it was only the Queen who is popular other royals wouldn't receive invitations to visit.

Queen Camilla

C&C's Canadian tour is only 4 days.   It is a mini tour not a major tour.

Windsor

The many visits abroad by several members of the Royal Family reflects the fact that Her Majesty The Queen is slowly reducing her commitments abroad. For instance, her visit to Rome this month was the first such visit abroad since 2011. I am not saying she won't travel again, but what she will do is carefully select her schedule when it involves travel.

As for the visit to Canada by the Prince and Princess of Wales! What wonderful news, especially for Canadians as it means they get their future King on their national day. :)

PrincessOfPeace

The Prince of Wales has a wonderful relationship with Canada

QuoteCanada is one of Her Majesty's Realms, and as such The Prince of Wales is Heir to The Canadian Throne.

The Prince of Wales has often spoken of his life-long affinity with Canada.

In 1996 he declared: "Every time I come to Canada, and I've been here many times since 1970, a little more of Canada seeps into my bloodstream and, from there, straight into my heart."

During his 15 visits to Canada, The Prince has visited every Province and, counting his visits to communities in Nunavut that took place before its creation in 1999, every Territory as well.

His Royal Highness serves as Colonel-in-Chief to seven Canadian regiments: the Air Reserve of Canada, Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians), the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, the Royal Regiment of Canada, the Royal Canadian Dragoons, the Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada and the Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's Own).

... The Duchess of Cornwall has also taken on the Colonelcy-in-Chief of The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada and visited the regiment during their last visit to Canada in 2012 which was made to celebrate The Queen's Diamond Jubilee with the Canadian people.
More: Canada

cinrit

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit three Canadian provinces, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Manitoba from 18th – 21st May 2014. Their Royal Highnesses will take part in events to mark important anniversaries of historical significance, including the centenary of World War One, and the 150th anniversary of the Charlottetown Conference in Prince Edward Island that led to the Confederation of Canada. Their programme will focus on Canadian achievement, commemorating the country's past and celebrating its future.

During the visit, The Prince and The Duchess will tour six communities: Halifax and Pictou County in Nova Scotia (18th and 19th May); Charlottetown, Bonshaw and Cornwall in Prince Edward Island (19th and 20th May) and Winnipeg in Manitoba (20th and 21st May).
Notes to Editors

More details on the exact itinerary of this visit will be announced in due course.

More: The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's visit to Canada

Cindy

sara8150

PrincessOfPeace

The Department of Canadian Heritage has released itinerary details ahead of the 2014 Royal Tour of Canada by the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall.
Prince Charles and Camilla?s Canadian tour itinerary released | Royal Central

Blue Clover

I wonder if this tour will go as planned? Will Camilla be over her grief by then? Will Prince Charles travel without her?

FanDianaFancy

Yes, it  seems to be many tours.

TPTB be  in The UK  and  Commonwealth nations want, need that pr thing to go on.
I know  you all the nations must invite them, but  TPTB there work with the  The Uk/Monarchy, I assume.
QEII, cannot, it is not best  for her and PP  at their ages to  go to overseas  tours or even out of The UK.
She has her family to do that.

I assume Camilla can attend this tour. No, she  will not  be over, nor forget her brother. Still, there will be some time between his funeral and  her tour  for  her to  ok in public.

He   was  her brother.  Her neice  has a  mother and  aunt (the other sister)  there  so  Camillla  can resume her public life..

The reports abouther brother is that he was his own man. Had his own life well before PCand C  got married.  Was a  good fahter and ex husband even.

For he leaves a very young, rich  daughter, that is sad. 

PrincessOfPeace

The Department of Canadian Heritage budgets x amount of money yearly for royal tours. It works alongside the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in Britain to hammer out the details of the itinerary along with some input from the royals.

The same thing occurred with the Cambridges in Australia and New Zealand. The host realm picks up the tab and decide on most of the itinerary.
Because some realms are larger than others, it often takes multiple tours over many years to visit all areas.

The Cambridges flew on a RCAF jet for their visit to Canada and RAAF provided the flight to and from Australia.

It makes complete sense because HM is Queen of the individual realms independent of her role of Queen of the UK. 

According the Prince of Wales official website, this will be the sixteenth time he has visited Canada.

Blue Clover

Quote from: FanDianaFancy on April 25, 2014, 11:10:37 PM
Yes, it  seems to be many tours.

TPTB be  in The UK  and  Commonwealth nations want, need that pr thing to go on.
I know  you all the nations must invite them, but  TPTB there work with the  The Uk/Monarchy, I assume.
QEII, cannot, it is not best  for her and PP  at their ages to  go to overseas  tours or even out of The UK.
She has her family to do that.

I assume Camilla can attend this tour. No, she  will not  be over, nor forget her brother. Still, there will be some time between his funeral and  her tour  for  her to  ok in public.

He   was  her brother.  Her neice  has a  mother and  aunt (the other sister)  there  so  Camillla  can resume her public life..

The reports abouther brother is that he was his own man. Had his own life well before PCand C  got married.  Was a  good fahter and ex husband even.

For he leaves a very young, rich  daughter, that is sad. 

FDF,

A thoughtful response!  :goodpost:

cinrit

QuotePrince Charles to Meet Polar Bear on Canadian Visit

A visit to Canada next month by Prince Charles and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, will include a visit with Hudson the polar bear in Winnipeg.

The royal couple arrive in Halifax on May 18 on a four-day visit that includes stops in Charlottetown and Pictou, N.S.

Prince Charles has four speeches during the visit, the first in Halifax where he will speak at the couple's official welcome in Grand Parade at City Hall in Halifax the day after their administrative arrival the previous evening.

The Prince of Wales and the duchess will meet with groups that provide support services to military families at Canadian Forces Base Halifax later on May 19 before attending a celebration of Celtic Appreciation Month in Pictou.

More: Prince Charles to meet polar bear on Canadian visit - The Globe and Mail

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

Quote"Nova Scotia is proud to be the first stop for the Royal Couple and we're looking forward to sharing our vibrant history and culture with them," said Premier Stephen McNeil. "Victoria Day weekend is a time to celebrate with family and friends and there will be plenty of opportunity to share what makes our province so unique. Not only will our shared heritage be front and centre during the tour, so will the traditions that keep our communities strong."

Their Royal Highnesses will arrive at Halifax Stanfield International Airport at 6:35 p.m. on Sunday, May 18.

Governor General David Johnston, Premier Stephen McNeil and other dignitaries will officially welcome the Royal Couple to Canada at 10 a.m., Monday, May 19, at Grand Parade with a 21-gun-salute, a guard of honour from the Canadian Armed Forces, and a band and choral performance.

After formal remarks from the official party and The Prince of Wales, the couple will lay a wreath at the cenotaph and sign guest books before proceeding on a walk-about.
More: Nova Scotia Ready to Welcome Royal Couple | novascotia.ca

Windsor

India was the Jewel in the Crown, what might Canada be? | Royal Insight

QuoteIt must certainly be the heart in the Crown, or somewhere along those lines. Canada has welcomed no fewer than 53 Royal Visits since June 2000 when the Earl of Wessex became the first member of the Royal Family to visit Canada at the turn of the century.

cinrit

Press Release:

Public events during the visit will include an official welcome to Canada and Nova Scotia at the Grand Parade in Halifax on Victoria Day on 19th May, Victoria Day Celebrations and fireworks in Charlottetown on the same day, and visits to Assiniboine Park and Manitoba Legislature on 21st May. Victoria Day is a Canadian public holiday, in honour of Queen Victoria's birthday.

More: The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's visit to Canada

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteAs you know, TRH will be visiting Canada for four days from 18th – 21st May.  The focus of this Royal Tour will be highlighting Canadian achievement – past and present, and looking to the future.

This will be the 16th time that The Prince of Wales has visited Canada since his first visit in 1970 with Her Majesty The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and Princess Anne.  It's worth noting that in the past five years, The Prince and The Duchess will have visited Canada together three times, which shows their commitment to, and deep affection for, the Canadian people.

This time, The Prince and The Duchess will visit three Canadian provinces: Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Manitoba and six communities: Halifax and Pictou County in Nova Scotia (18th and 19th May); Charlottetown, Bonshaw and Cornwall in Prince Edward Island (19th and 20th May) and Winnipeg in Manitoba (20th and 21st May).  The Prince last visited Manitoba in 1996 and Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island in 1983.  The Duchess has not previously visited any of the three provinces.
More: Remarks by Simon Martin, Deputy Private Secretary to TRH on Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, on the upcoming visit to Canada

Limabeany

Is it me or are there a lot of Tours this year...  :hmm:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.